• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2022 Recruiting Numbers Game & Other Updates; Part 6: Potential Silver Lining To NU's Small Class Numbers in 2022

To me, the real problem with the Omaha recruiting situation this year is that we are not (so far) replacing these misses with better or even comparable prospects. For example, if we had a few 4* OL guys committed from other states, then losing Woods isn't as big of a problem.

When four 4* kids within 50 miles of campus won't even give you the time of day and you currently have a class with a total of zero 4* commits, that is not a good situation.

Again, too much of a focus on stars and the assumption that proximity means they're destined to come to Lincoln unless 'we' screw it up.

You WANT all the local, high level talent on the roster......as long as it fits.

This team could use some All Conference type playmakers and quite honestly we haven’t had those nor are we having much success putting kids into the league. I can get on board with your philosophy if this staff has proven success at developing talent like say a Nortwestern staff. Over time this is going to slow our recruiting momentum in my opinion. Right now it’s hard to describe this current class as anything other than disappointing.

Northwestern does more with less than anyone in D1 football, IMO. They do a great job.

Could we use more all conference talent? Uhhh....no question. Having kids in the league would be great but doesn't guarantee success a this level. A roster full of guys who can play in the NFL (Alabama, Clemson or Ohio State) likely means you're going to be good. That's a short freaking list though.

Not winning is slowing our recruiting momentum.

You can be disaposnteed in this class, in July.....and I'll be optimistic because I like the kids in this class and it's really still early.

Let's win some football games this fall and keep working. It'll fix itself.

Northwestern does more with less than anyone in D1 football, IMO. They do a great job.

Could we use more all conference talent? Uhhh....no question. Having kids in the league would be great but doesn't guarantee success a this level. A roster full of guys who can play in the NFL (Alabama, Clemson or Ohio State) likely means you're going to be good. That's a short freaking list though.

Not winning is slowing our recruiting momentum.

You can be disaposnteed in this class, in July.....and I'll be optimistic because I like the kids in this class and it's really still early.

Let's win some football games this fall and keep working. It'll fix itself.
Hey I’m on board with that. I’m sure you’ll sleep better tonight knowing it

I don't sleep much anymore.

Recruiting stars aren't what keeps me up at night.
Northwestern, Iowa and Wisconsin all have one thing in common they don’t have coaches being fired every three to four years. They know the kind of athletes they want to run both their offense and defense.
Stability in the Nebraska program was a strength when TO coached today it’s a glaring weakness today with football and athletic director changes every few years. Hopefully Trev can help Scott turn this around.I don’t see a coaching change unless Frost decides to step down and I don’t see that happening.

Who said they were?
Who was asked a question and never answered?
this is a guess.
He said we would be bad.
I said,what about our freshmen do you not like, which ones?
They play like freshmen because they are.
So, I asked,which freshmen were playing worse, or he didnt like, that were playing worse than expected.
I didnt go back an get direct quotes, but I expect freshmen to play like freshmen, notbecause theyre bad,or unsatisfactory.

I had to assume he thought as much because he wouldnt say, yet continued we would be bad.
So I mentioned names, to break it down for him.

When someone says we are bad and get no answer, and someone proposes questions to get to why, no ones accusing the other,putting words in others mouth in a question.

Who was asked a question and never answered?
this is a guess.
He said we would be bad.
I said,what about our freshmen do you not like, which ones?
They play like freshmen because they are.
So, I asked,which freshmen were playing worse, or he didnt like, that were playing worse than expected.
I didnt go back an get direct quotes, but I expect freshmen to play like freshmen, notbecause theyre bad,or unsatisfactory.

I had to assume he thought as much because he wouldnt say, yet continued we would be bad.
So I mentioned names, to break it down for him.

When someone says we are bad and get no answer, and someone proposes questions to get to why, no ones accusing the other,putting words in others mouth in a question.
What a load of crap. The whole offense is bad right now. That's not on the players so much as it is their development thus far. Nash said we need more AC type players. He's right. You brought up a freshman who hasn't played as some argument against Nash's point. It was a stupid argument and I explained why. You then tried to say I'm saying the freshman suck. I'm saying they haven't played enough to judge, but we haven't yet shown a track record of development on that side of the ball. I answered your question. You tried to pigeon hole me into saying I think the freshman are bad, but you're not smart enough to lay that trap. So quit trying to argue in bad faith.

What a load of crap. The whole offense is bad right now. That's not on the players so much as it is their development thus far. Nash said we need more AC type players. He's right. You brought up a freshman who hasn't played as some argument against Nash's point. It was a stupid argument and I explained why. You then tried to say I'm saying the freshman suck. I'm saying they haven't played enough to judge, but we haven't yet shown a track record of development on that side of the ball. I answered your question. You tried to pigeon hole me into saying I think the freshman are bad, but you're not smart enough to lay that trap. So quit trying to argue in bad faith.
And what kind of development do you expect out of freshmen?
That had no spring practices?
That had a shifting fall camp?

So, if you say they havnt played enough, I say the same, and expect it

And what kind of development do you expect out of freshmen?
That had no spring practices?
That had a shifting fall camp?

So, if you say they havnt played enough, I say the same, and expect it
None which is why I didn't bring up a 3* freshman to counter an argument about a lack of AC players like you did. The concern is that we haven't seen the development when they get to be sophomores and juniors either. If that make it to their junior year which is another argument altogether.

None which is why I didn't bring up a 3* freshman to counter an argument about a lack of AC players like you did. The concern is that we haven't seen the development when they get to be sophomores and juniors either. If that make it to their junior year which is another argument altogether.
Theres the problem, this is year four in a major roster flip, not many of those Jrs and seniors.
Jurgens, Nelson and AM look good, as does CTB.
Older players have left, little Farniok, Boe Wilson etc.
You have to go to the next class, and those guys have missed a lot of football and practices.
In 2019, you could only play in 4 games, next spring, no practice, fall camp on again off again, then you may get 8 games.
I'm saying NOW those guys are ready, and younger as well.

It has to be proved on the field,but saying we arent developing, I'm saying compared to what? It sure isnt normal it should be compared to.
SF said unfortunately we were very young when the virus hit, and I agree

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back