• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2021 WR/CB Isaiah Newcombe

Glad to see Newcombe has got over the whole disappointment in NU he had right after he left. I remember a quote during EC Heisman year. Bobby was in the NFL. A reporter asked him what he thought of EC. BN response was something like. "I am in the NFL he will not be." (Not an exact quote that was the gist of it) So I always assumed he was angry at NE in general. Looks like his anger may have been specifically at EC.

Glad to see Newcombe has got over the whole disappointment in NU he had right after he left. I remember a quote during EC Heisman year. Bobby was in the NFL. A reporter asked him what he thought of EC. BN response was something like. "I am in the NFL he will not be." (Not an exact quote that was the gist of it) So I always assumed he was angry at NE in general. Looks like his anger may have been specifically at EC.
There is one play in particular that I remember that involved Newcombe, and unfortunately it is the way that I remember Bobby. Newcombe was open but Crouch threw a bad pass that was intercepted. Newcombe then made no attempt whatsoever to make the tackle.

Bobby Newcombe before the injury his Sophomore year was better than Crouch hands down. After the injury he wasn't. All you have to do is go back and watch the games. I think he lost half a step and a little bit of elusiveness. But IMO the biggest thing he lost was his nerve. He played tentative at the QB spot, he was indecisive., and he wasn't durable. I don't think he would have lasted a whole season. He was too slight a build.

Last edited:
Bobby Newcombe before the injury his Sophomore year was better than Crouch hands down. After the injury he wasn't. All you have to do is go back and watch the games. I think he lost half a step and a little bit of elusiveness. But IMO the biggest thing he lost was his nerve. He played tentative at the QB spot, he was indecisive., and he wasn't durable. I don't think he would have lasted a whole season. He was too slight a build.
Bobby also had issues hanging onto center snaps

Do hope this isn't history repeating itself?

Do hope this isn't history repeating itself?
Or maybe you think of the freshman QB who was so good he played WR, then was beat out at QB after starting for a while by an eventual Heisman winner. McCaffrey to... Smothers? Not a perfect match, but...

Yep, he had some harsh comments. I think he also said they specifically went against targeting him in the offense because they didn't want to start a controversy as to who should be playing QB. Also said he wasn't prepared to play NFL receiver at all when he got to the league after playing wingback at Nebraska. Solich and Crouch issued statements shortly after the comments were made.

He was clearly very bitter. Hope he's put all that in the past now.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back