• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2021 Omaha Westside S/OLB Koby Bretz is N

Solid point. We moved Domann there due to need, not necessarily because that’s where he projected best. I think it worked out for him, but I wonder how it would look with him at safety. With that said, safeties to OLB make more sense than ever with spread you out offenses.
The only downfall of Bretz at OLB to me is length, and obviously he has a lot of size to put on. But then again Domann is only 6’1 and plays thaT same position pretty damn well.

The only downfall of Bretz at OLB to me is length, and obviously he has a lot of size to put on. But then again Domann is only 6’1 and plays thaT same position pretty damn well.
Yep, that's the rub really. Some of the guys that aren't fast enough to play S need to move to OLB so they have the speed, but lack the length to play up in the front 7 if need be.

I like the offer. I think you get the kid here and figure out where to play him.

Yep, that's the rub really. Some of the guys that aren't fast enough to play S need to move to OLB so they have the speed, but lack the length to play up in the front 7 if need be.

I like the offer. I think you get the kid here and figure out where to play him.
Sounds like his coach thinks the speed potential is there as well:

“I love him as a safety; I really do,” Froendt said. “Could he do both? Absolutely. He just needs to work on his speed. He’s fast, but he needs to work on his speed to be on the high end in that regard. We’ve got him in the 4.6-second (40-yard dash) area, and he’s never really worked hard on his speed, so he can get there."

https://journalstar.com/sports/husk..._medium=social&utm_source=twitter_huskerextra

I completely agree with your last sentence... it's easy to overthink some of these things, but if you have a local guy with clear D1 talent who lives and breathes Husker football, you offer him first and work out the details later.

Sounds like his coach thinks the speed potential is there as well:

“I love him as a safety; I really do,” Froendt said. “Could he do both? Absolutely. He just needs to work on his speed. He’s fast, but he needs to work on his speed to be on the high end in that regard. We’ve got him in the 4.6-second (40-yard dash) area, and he’s never really worked hard on his speed, so he can get there."

https://journalstar.com/sports/husk..._medium=social&utm_source=twitter_huskerextra

I completely agree with your last sentence... it's easy to overthink some of these things, but if you have a local guy with clear D1 talent who lives and breathes Husker football, you offer him first and work out the details later.
Yep, probably needs to get a couple tenths faster on his 40 to make an impact at safety. To compare, Nate Gerry was two tenths faster than him and played safety and then Pelini's version of the PESO in the B1G. For recent Huskers, Cam Taylor-Britt runs a 4.4, Deontai Williams was a 4.4., I think he has really good instincts which makes him play faster than he is, just something to keep an eye on.

4.6 as a junior in high school is plenty fast. Hard to trust a lot of those high school 40 times and also, I can't remember the number of times that our fastest player gets to the combine, runs in the 4.5/4.6 range, and is right in the middle of the pack.

4.6 is fast.
4.5 is one of the fastest people on the entire team.
4.4 is elite, top 1% of NCAA fast.
4.3 is one of the fastest people in the word.

4.6 as a junior in high school is plenty fast. Hard to trust a lot of those high school 40 times and also, I can't remember the number of times that our fastest player gets to the combine, runs in the 4.5/4.6 range, and is right in the middle of the pack.

4.6 is fast.
Yup. Other than the Nike Opening/Sparq events i dont even bother with 40 times.

Apparently Carnie ran a 4.6 flat at Warren electronically. Which is insane to me. How is everyone in the country not all over a 230 lb kid who runs 4.6 flat? Makes me wonder how accurate the testing was at Warren.

4.6 is fast.

This past draft the average 40 time for a safety was 4.558. The lowest was 4.37 (L'Jarius Sneed) and he was the only sub 4.40 guy.
A third of the class was in the 4.6-4.7 range.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back