• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2021 Offense

Wasn't sure where to put this. I love this kind of stuff...

As a very young coach many moons ago I attended a clinic with Barry Switzer, John Madden and Harry Gamble( coach at Penn) . Switzer was a complete showman joking and telling stories he had everyone laughing and just eating up his entire act ( unrealistic football stuff for HS coaches), John Madden talked about details of special teams( again unrealistic because you’d need 2 hours of practice to make it work) he was very serious there were no jokes or stories. Harry Gamble was by far the most effective and knowledgeable. He followed both Switzer an Madden and seemed to know more about coaching than either of the main event star coaches. He went on to become the GM of the Philadelphia Eagles.

I remember many on this forum complaining that Ameer was not a very good back, and if he was the best we had, we would be in big trouble. Lol does anyone else remember that? Pretty funny
I remember Carl Pelini at a Big Red Breakfast telling the audience that because of so many injuries at LB they were going to have to start a JC linebacker named Levonte David. I think that worked out pretty well that season.

I remember many on this forum complaining that Ameer was not a very good back, and if he was the best we had, we would be in big trouble. Lol does anyone else remember that? Pretty funny
I don't remember that. Seems like an exaggeration. I actually remember people breaking down his film and saying he might be better than the other 4 stars RB's coming in before he even stepped on campus.

I don't remember that. Seems like an exaggeration. I actually remember people breaking down his film and saying he might be better than the other 4 stars RB's coming in before he even stepped on campus.
I'm not exaggerating. I remember quite well what I read.

I'm sure there were some on here that said that. I think saying many is the exaggeration part that a large percentage of us felt that it was bad Ameer would be starting. He was my favorite RB of that class.
I hear you. He was my favorite as well. It seemed like many to me, tho. Lol how about "more than a few."

I hear you. He was my favorite as well. It seemed like many to me, tho. Lol how about "more than a few."
I like them semantics better Lol! You do bring up a valid point that anyone who steps on that field could be a pleasant surprise to even the naysayers.

If your point is that we may have an Ameer on the team right now, I hope you’re right.

Honestly, if one of these talented young backs doesn't become a very productive starter, then I have to start questioning Held as a coach. Scott, Ervin, Morrison, Thompkins, and Johnson were all highly rated and coveted by lots of big time programs. Even if you take Thompkins out because of his injury history, that still leaves 4 young guys to choose from. And that's not even including Yant or Stepp. If you can't find a productive regular RB out of that group, then I just don't know....

Honestly, if one of these talented young backs doesn't become a very productive starter, then I have to start questioning Held as a coach. Scott, Ervin, Morrison, Thompkins, and Johnson were all highly rated and coveted by lots of big time programs. Even if you take Thompkins out because of his injury history, that still leaves 4 young guys to choose from. And that's not even including Yant or Stepp. If you can't find a productive regular RB out of that group, then I just don't know....
Playing against yourself is hard to make a more defined determination of what seems good, and what you know is good.
There is no bar so defined. No depth,, much youth only complicates things.
Who do we compare these four to? We as fans use older players, on other teams from days gone by, so who now do we compare them to?
Some,one or all may look good, but defining best amongst them much harder to do.
Add in our inconsistencies on offense, and what type of back serves this particular team best right now against particular opponents, with no real successful history to gage by...

We have talent, and possibly if not one of them 'steps up' doesnt mean we are doomed, it could also mean we are loaded.

Playing against yourself is hard to make a more defined determination of what seems good, and what you know is good.
There is no bar so defined. No depth,, much youth only complicates things.
Who do we compare these four to? We as fans use older players, on other teams from days gone by, so who now do we compare them to?
Some,one or all may look good, but defining best amongst them much harder to do.
Add in our inconsistencies on offense, and what type of back serves this particular team best right now against particular opponents, with no real successful history to gage by...

We have talent, and possibly if not one of them 'steps up' doesnt mean we are doomed, it could also mean we are loaded.

The issue is Held has done a great job of bringing talent into the RB room but it doesn't seem to translate to the field. It needs to happen this year.

The issue is Held has done a great job of bringing talent into the RB room but it doesn't seem to translate to the field. It needs to happen this year.
Other than jucos, only one was here early on,on our best team under this staff, 2018, and Mo was it.
The 2019 class, rare for freshmen to play a lot, theres been things written about what to expect freshmen to do at RB, and 300 yds comes to mind.
So, our jucos have gotten the lions share of carries, our 2019 class was Rhamir, a smaller scat back type, and while theres room for that in this offense, we started changing our run philosophy around the time he got here.
So, we go with the 2020 class, we have Scott, who didnt lay a lot in the goofy year last year, and instead relied upon Wandale every bit as much, if not more, counting the times he was our RB and not our duck-r, and those carries came off, or from taking away from,Scott.

Morrison was injured, could he have shown if he were healthy?
Now, we potentially have two more rBs, one a true frosh in Ervin, the likely 300 yd guy, and Yant, maybe not a every down guy, plus another in transfer Stepp.

If you put it all in context, as time played out, injuries, covid, practices, Mo etc, there simply isnt a continued example, other than using transfers or jucos, nor would there have been looking at the ages, injuries up to this year.
I see Ervin as the guy, no ones seen Stepp, Morrison can possibly just turn it on, Scott isnt bad, but being around some, he needs to step up, while Yant and Ervin may just need to grow some.

Other than jucos, only one was here early on,on our best team under this staff, 2018, and Mo was it.
The 2019 class, rare for freshmen to play a lot, theres been things written about what to expect freshmen to do at RB, and 300 yds comes to mind.
So, our jucos have gotten the lions share of carries, our 2019 class was Rhamir, a smaller scat back type, and while theres room for that in this offense, we started changing our run philosophy around the time he got here.
So, we go with the 2020 class, we have Scott, who didnt lay a lot in the goofy year last year, and instead relied upon Wandale every bit as much, if not more, counting the times he was our RB and not our duck-r, and those carries came off, or from taking away from,Scott.

Morrison was injured, could he have shown if he were healthy?
Now, we potentially have two more rBs, one a true frosh in Ervin, the likely 300 yd guy, and Yant, maybe not a every down guy, plus another in transfer Stepp.

If you put it all in context, as time played out, injuries, covid, practices, Mo etc, there simply isnt a continued example, other than using transfers or jucos, nor would there have been looking at the ages, injuries up to this year.
I see Ervin as the guy, no ones seen Stepp, Morrison can possibly just turn it on, Scott isnt bad, but being around some, he needs to step up, while Yant and Ervin may just need to grow some.

That's a much more optimistic view of things than what I have. It needs to be a lot better this year.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back