• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

A potted plant would have been a better coach that MR. I don’t care what that guy is doing as long as it is light years from 10th St.

IMO, each day and practice from now until start of the season needs to have a period spent on Purdue. That games is HUGE! A win there and we the mojo and vibe will start building.

Cincy might be the highest ranked non-Power 5 team at the start of the year. Mojo, good vibes, and pounding the crap out of teams early will sure make the young DL do better. Make catching passes easier for WR's and in general life fun again in Huskerland

I'm going to start this thread because I'd like some feedback.
Maybe the thread will die with only a few comments and that's fine. Just wanted to give it a try.

I expect a much better 2020 for HCSF and his team. Why?

Scott has been attempting to run his offense with a struggling Oline and a shortage of "skill" players. I think that changes next year.
All eleven starters return on offense...but the key is moving Farniok to guard (kicking out Hixson) and installing Benhart at tackle. An Oline of...
Jaimes
Wilson (moving from right to left side)
Jurgens
Farniok
Benhart
...just might be stout AND athletic enough to be pretty effective.
IF Spielman sticks around and IF we can get improved QB play, expect a "skills" upgrade with help for Mills and maybe Betts or Manning having an immediate impact at WR. That TE transfer from Rutgers might finally provide a blocking AND receiving threat, too.

On defense, the third year under the same coaches will finally pay dividends. Yes, we lose one of the Daniels and both Davis twins along with Mo Barry and Lamar Jackson. But those dudes will be more than adequately replaced by Ty Robinson, Keem Green, Casey Rodgers, Henrich/Hannah and all of those freshman DBs we recruited last year. Bottom line, the defense will be better, too.

Schedule? See for yourself below. 2020 Nebraska resembles 2019 Minnesota with a 7-0 start...hard-fought and even including the a win over The Jackrabbits.
From there? We'll see....
View attachment 33577
I'm not sure why people are immediately chalking up those first 7 games as W's.... I see at least 3 teams that have a good possibility of beating us unless we make some pretty noticeable improvements in the next 275ish days.

SDSU and Cincy are not definitive wins by any means, and you never know if Northwestern is going to be pretty good or absolutely abysmal. All I'm saying is that we might need to put our horses in front of our carriage...

imo

Offensively.........barring off season injury you will see the same players in the same positions next year.

2019/2020 will be seamless!

I'll take a stab at analyzing that schedule. But first, let's re-examine the start of the 2019 schedule (the easiest part, where we got most of our wins).

South Alabama (2-10) - W
Colorado (5-7) - L
Northern Illinois (5-7) - W
Illinois (6-6) - W

Now, let's replace those with the first four games in 2020:

Purdue. Frost is 0-2 against Purdue. We lost this year with Purdue forced to insert the 3rd string QB and they were without Rondale Moore. Moore will be back. Sindelar may reclaim starting QB.
Central Michigan. Did you know CMU went 8-4 this season and is playing in the MAC title game?
South Dakota State. Consistently one of the better FCS schools. In the playoff currently with a first round bye. Took Minnesota to the wire.
Cincinnati. The Bearcats are 21-4 this season and last. They have been ranked both seasons and will be playing Memphis in a rematch for the AAC championship.

Clearly, the first four games in 2020 are significantly more difficult than the first four in 2019. We talk about the last part of the 2020 schedule (because it is brutal) -- but we should also recognize the front part is no easy chore (and nothing like 2019).

Continuing with 2020:
@Northwestern. I think we already know this game will go down to the wire. It always does. Somehow, it went down to the wire in 2019 against the worst Northwestern team in many years. Odds are, Northwestern will put a better team on the field in 2020. I can never chalk this game up as win -- because it's always a nailbiter.
Illinois. I suppose this should be a win. Illinois obviously improved as the season progressed. They are going bowling for the first time in a long time. But -- it's a game we "should" win in Lincoln. But remember -- we were behind against the Illini this season until scoring at the midway point in the 4th.
@Rutgers. This is the equivalent of the Maryland game this year. If we don't blow Rutgers out (we should), we have serious issues.
@Ohio State. Umm, yikes. Justin Fields and company. Yikes. Did you know Fields has thrown 37 TDs and only 1 INT this season?
Penn State. To note, the quarterback, leading rusher, and leading receiver were all sophomores this season.
@Iowa. Can we make it close? Sure. Can we beat the Hawkeyes? I don't know. Iowa has won 5 straight and 6 of 7 against Nebraska. Certainly we have to win again at some point -- but there's no chalking up this as a win on 12/1/19.
@Wisconsin. The Badgers own us like the Longhorns used to. 7 straight wins. 9 of the past 10. Last time Nebraska won a game in Madison? 1966.
Minnesota. The Gophers popped us in the mouth big time in 2019. While Wisconsin popped Minnesota yesterday, the Gophers are still 13-3 since November 10 of last season. Tanner Morgan (QB) was just a sophomore in 2019. As was their RB who ran for 3 touchdowns against us (Ibrahim). Also a sophomore, their stud leading receiver (and eventual NFL talent), Rashod Bateman.

That's a daunting schedule. We are going to have to improve dramatically to get 6+ wins out of this. I don't see one of the first four games I can chalk up as win. Sure, we won't go 0-4. But none of those are gimmes. Not like South Alabama. And none are even likely as bad as Northern Illinois and Colorado. And those last five are murderers row. Rutgers is the only game I will automatically chalk up as a win today.

When was the last time we lived up to the preseason hype? 2009. Even Bo's 2010-2014 teams all finished lower than their preseason ranks. The last time we finished the season ranked in the AP Poll was 2012.

I'll say this, if we start 7-0 next season -- as the OP suggests -- all the props in the world should go Frost's way. And if we do that, and 8 or 9 win season is certainly possible. But my concern is -- we say this every year before the season starts. Will we eventually break through? Maybe. At some point, Nebraska will live up to or exceed the preseason expectations. Maybe next season -- or maybe years down the road under a new coach. I don't know. I only know what this decade has been like, and it hasn't been kind to our expectations. So, if I'm simply making predictions with an unbiased view, I have to rely on recent trends. But -- I also understand fans make predictions with a heavy dose of what their heart tells them. That's what being a fan is all about. I'll say we'll win somewhere between 4 and 7 games next season (regular season). 5 or 6 is most likely. As I've said before, that first game against Purdue is huge. If we win that game, my confidence will increase -- and my thoughts on the season win total may as well. I'm all for an 8 or 9 win season. I just need more evidence before I can start to believe that's possible. FWIW, we didn't beat a single team with a winning record in 2019.
I feel like if we beat Purdue, then that means the staff will have fixed a lot of their issues, meaning we will have a great year.

Much like Colorado this year, the outlook for the season will depend on what happens against Purdue.

I feel like if we beat Purdue, then that means the staff will have fixed a lot of their issues, meaning we will have a great year.

Much like Colorado this year, the outlook for the season will depend on what happens against Purdue.

I agree. Such a huge first game. Bigger than Colorado because it's a conference division opponent. A win would be big in many ways -- especially in building confidence.

imo

Offensively.........barring off season injury you will see the same players in the same positions next year.

2019/2020 will be seamless!
Any reasoning for this? I've seen you state this many times without any reason why

I don't even want to think about next season until serious issues are resolved. Right now we have many more questions then answers imo. Fool me once... blah blah blah as the old saying goes. Nope not this time not buying or predicting anything after this disaster of a season.
My new team motto.
Exactly as written.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back