• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2019 Season Stats - 3 Games

HuskerInOkieland

Heisman
15 Year Member

Attachments

• 1568570281188.png
    1568570281188.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

Lots to cover in the week’s movers –n- shakers . . .

*We’ll start with Dedrick Mills and his breakout game. 116 yards on 11 carries and a TD vaults him to the top of the rushing leadership board. He now holds a 5 yard lead over Maurice Washington who had a nice game himself with a 60 yard TD run (career long) and a 21 yard TD reception before leaving the game with a bit of an injury. In all, NU rushed for 238 yards and a 7.2 average.

*Great to see Rahmir Johnson with his first 3 career carries.

*Kanawai Noa finally showed up in the scorebook on offense (he recorded a tackle last week). He finished with 3 catches for 51 yards and a TD. His sweet 27 yard TD catch before halftime basically put the game away for the Huskers. In fact, it was good to see several Husker receivers get into the act. Spielman had 4 catches for 76 yards, Robinson 3 for 48, and Mike Williams recorded his first catch of the year—a 26 yarder.

*Noah Vedral got into the act for the first time this year looking very comfortable engineering the final TD drive of the night. He went 3 for 5 for 30 yards and scored on a 3 yard run. He also got some more receivers involved—completing passes to Jaevon McQuitty, TE Kurt Rafdal, and the first career catch for freshman Darien Chase.

*Carlos Davis had quite the evening. He finished with 6 tackles, 1.5 sacks for 15 yards (including a 14 yard sack that all but ended one of NIU’s TD chances, and he even batted down a couple of balls. The defensive line came to play last night. Darrion Daniels and Deonte Thomas had 5 tackles apiece and Damion Daniels added 4 more. In all, the top 6 guys in the rotation recorded 22 tackles, 2 sacks, 3 BrUps, and 2 QBH’s.

*If you don’t know who Isaiah Stalbird is yet, what have you been watching? Stalbird had a blocked punt, forced a fumble from the punter on another punt, and for good measure played 9 snaps at his safety position a recorded 3 tackles and was credited with 1.5 TFL for 9 yards. Frost said after the game that if he keeps playing like this, he won’t be a walk-on for long. He was also credited with 9 yards of punt return yardage—a peculiar stat resulting from his punt block. By the way, he came close to another block later in the game.

*Say what you want about our inside backers, but they are 1-2-3 at the top of the tackling chart. Combined—Barry, Honas, and Miller have 63 tackles. Honas keeps getting better and had 8 tackles last night.

*Congrats to Braxton Clark on his first career interception. He also recorded his first 3 tackles on the year.

*JoJo Dohmann continues to impress in his opportunities. He had 6 tackles last night in his 41 snaps and added a 2 yard TFL and a nifty BrUp.

*Nebraska recorded 10 pass breakups last night led by Lamar Jackson with 4. Eli Sullivan with a key breakup late in the game. Jackson now leads Bootle in the BrUp category 5 to 3.

*Poor Austin Allen barely shows up in the scorebook. He had no catches and a low blocking grade. But he did get credit for one tackle and a fumble recovery. The one tackle was the fake punt that he snuffed out. His fumble recovery was on the fumbled punt and he had a chance for another recovery on the blocked punt but the ball went right through his hands out of bounds. He likely would have scored. But his biggest play doesn’t show up in the box score. On NU’s long third quarter scoring drive, he recovered the fumble by Jake Stoll on the pass play that went deep into NIU’s territory. Think about how different the feeling about NU’s offense would have been had he not made that recovery.

*The game featured 5 blocked kicks—all in the first half. Also in there, was a fake punt gone awry, a botched onside kick, and two quick kicks. Nebraska now sits at 2 for 6 on the year on FG tries. Our kicker situation is looking like a real issue going forward. Kudos to Lane McCallum for his 3 PAT’s. It looks like he may be the next man up.

*Also, it was good to see Reid Karel with 3 tackles and 0.5 TFL for one yard. Yes, it was mop up but the senior player is well respected by his teammates for his leadership qualities.

*LB Chris Cassidy with his first career tackle. Simon Otte with a pretty impressive tackle on the final kickoff.

*Last night, 4 scholarship freshmen made their debuts: Darien Chase, Bryce Benhart, Rahmir Johnson, and Myles Farmer.

*Keep fingers crossed for NU’s two key injuries last night: Brenden Jaimes and Cam Tylor-Britt. Maurice Washington was also banged up a bit late in the game but doesn’t appear to be anything serious.

*Last night was Scott Frost’s first home night game (not counting the lightning game cancelation). Nice to go 1-0 in that category.

*Finally, Nebraska sits at 2-1 with a 67% win percentage. In fact, in the last 9 games, NU is 6-3 (67%). They are 6-0 at home and 0-3 on the road—all tough losses and losses last year to ranked teams. It is time to get a road win.

Last edited:
HIO thanks for your work on this. for all of the preseason nay sayers on our defense. That rushing D number looks really good. Only issue I have seen on our D overall is the Cover 3 corner/safety exchange. That killed us in CO game and nearly bit us in the NIU game. @ShortSideOption would be a good point of emphasis for your review this week.

As I look at this, to me it looks like the passing yards are off. The first post indicates that we have 468 yards passing. But, in the individual, it show 755. That significantly throws off our total yards and passing yards per game. Am I reading it wrong?

Random (fairly obvious) thoughts:
  1. Mo's yards / carry are pretty awesome
  2. AM2's are much lower than I thought they'd be this year
  3. Would definitely like to see the completion % rise to be >65%
  4. 4 guys are averaging 2+ catches per game (1 WR; 1 TE). Am hoping for more from the WR
  5. YPC receiving are pretty impressive. Definitely shows that we are getting big plays
  6. 4th down conversion rate for the offense is improved from early last year
  7. 26 TFL by our defense seems like a good start that I hope we can continue into conference play

As I look at this, to me it looks like the passing yards are off. The first post indicates that we have 468 yards passing. But, in the individual, it show 755. That significantly throws off our total yards and passing yards per game. Am I reading it wrong?
You are correct. I did not update the passing yards numbers from week 2 to week 3. I'm still getting used to a major format change on the site where I grab most of these stats.

It has been corrected. Thank you, good sir.

HIO thanks for your work on this. for all of the preseason nay sayers on our defense. That rushing D number looks really good. Only issue I have seen on our D overall is the Cover 3 corner/safety exchange. That killed us in CO game and nearly bit us in the NIU game. @ShortSideOption would be a good point of emphasis for your review this week.
The completion % by the opponents is a bit troubling at 60%

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back