• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2019 Burke High recruits (Hickman Setting Up OVs) Update: Visiting for the Colorado game

Location is maybe 1A but 1B is coaching. Kids want to play for winners. We now have that after a 3 Year absence.
Frost being a winner and also his age, vitality, and cred (as one player said, "He played. He's one us"), would be a big advantage in a case like this where you can get a lot of face time. It isn't everything, of course, and not everyone's personality will match up, but I can imagine him winning with one or both because of it.

For me a big wildcard is how much either of these guys would simply like to go further away from home for school. Some kids like that idea.

Last edited:
It's interesting to me that for 9/10 of the recruits we are going after to give a scholarship, we talk about how big of an uphill battle it is due to them being familiar with other programs and further away from Lincoln. "We just need to get them to campus." Our coaches have to take more time out of their already jam packed schedules to get in front of people in Florida, Texas, California, wherever, and we talk about having the location disadvantage.

Now we have two top-flight recruits in our own backyard that literally take less time to get in front of then when our coaches drive to Omaha to get on a commercial flight to then take a plane and see someone in another state, and we have people saying "ya but location may not be the biggest factor" and any of the other reasons listed. These recruits can make it to Lincoln easier than any other University, we can get in front of them easier than any other coaching staff, that is a massive advantage.

Yet here we are, the battered wife that thinks it's her fault her husband abused her. Making up reasons why they may not choose us to make sure we don't get our hopes up too high. Reminds me of when people were rattling off all the reasons Frost wouldn't come here instead of looking at the overwhelming reasons he would. "His wife likes the warm weather", "he probably remembers people booing him in 96", "we have to make up for state income tax that UCF doesn't have."

The last 20 years has sure done a number on us.

It's interesting to me that for 9/10 of the recruits we are going after to give a scholarship, we talk about how big of an uphill battle it is due to them being familiar with other programs and further away from Lincoln. "We just need to get them to campus." Our coaches have to take more time out of their already jam packed schedules to get in front of people in Florida, Texas, California, wherever, and we talk about having the location disadvantage.

Now we have two top-flight recruits in our own backyard that literally take less time to get in front of then when our coaches drive to Omaha to get on a commercial flight to then take a plane and see someone in another state, and we have people saying "ya but location may not be the biggest factor" and any of the other reasons listed. These recruits can make it to Lincoln easier than any other University, we can get in front of them easier than any other coaching staff, that is a massive advantage.

Yet here we are, the battered wife that thinks it's her fault her husband abused her. Making up reasons why they may not choose us to make sure we don't get our hopes up too high. Reminds me of when people were rattling off all the reasons Frost wouldn't come here instead of looking at the overwhelming reasons he would. "His wife likes the warm weather", "he probably remembers people booing him in 96", "we have to make up for state income tax that UCF doesn't have."

Exactly. Then you look at this quote "Henrich said he hopes to commit this summer to a school, "with a real family atmosphere where the coaches and players really all care about each other."

Is there a school that will offer more of that than Nebraska? And will Hickman see an offense that would showcase his talents more than what he'll find at Nebraska?

Exactly. Then you look at this quote "Henrich said he hopes to commit this summer to a school, "with a real family atmosphere where the coaches and players really all care about each other."

Is there a school that will offer more of that than Nebraska? And will Hickman see an offense that would showcase his talents more than what he'll find at Nebraska?
I think Henrich will be an early signee for us. I think Hickman holds out until February and picks a Husker hat off the table.

It's human nature to protect yourself from disappointment. IMO it's why people post the worst case scenarios about certain subjects, whether it's losing out on a coach or recruit, because it protects them from any outcome. 'Well 'bama just offered Joe Recruit, he's gone. Hope I'm wrong though' is an example of this thinking. Player stays, fan is happy, player leaves, fan already predicted that, which lessons the blow. The Frost saga you mentioned is another example. Those fans who post that stuff just make me shake my head.

After reading the article, it certainly seems like one has been a long time Longhorn fan (I don’t get that when he only lived in Austin when he was an infant), and the other guy’s parents went to Univ of Iowa (dad)and IaSt(mom). That’s why I think some fans are hesitant in thinking the guys are going to commit to the Huskers. I definitely don’t think they would find better coaching staffs than Frost. For the guy who likes the Longhorns, I can’t believe he’d rather be coached under the jerk, Hermann, than Frost. Hermann seems pretty D-baggy to me. We shall see.

Last edited:

It's ESPN's fault. They've hated us for years.

1st article says Hickman's family moved to (Omaha) Nebraska from Austin when he was an infant and he's a huge Lonhorn fan. That doesn't make any sense unless his mother is a huge Longhorn fan and shes pounding the Longhorn into him.
uh-phrasing-28681568.png

1st article says Hickman's family moved to (Omaha) Nebraska from Austin when he was an infant and he's a huge Lonhorn fan. That doesn't make any sense unless his mother is a huge Longhorn fan and shes pounding the Longhorn into him.
I know plenty of people who moved out of NE before their kids were even born and those kids are NU fans. It isn't all that uncommon.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back