• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2018 Royals

Obviously the first ST game so nothing settled but Gordon started in CF and batted cleanup :confused:, Cuthbert was at 3B and Dozier was at 1B.

Salvy was DH today and Butera was C. That will happen quite a lot imo although Salvy will be C most of the time.

Last edited:

Trevor Oaks taking the mound for the Royals today. KC hopes he can start the year at the back of the rotation.

Royals score 12 runs in the first three innings today against Seattle. Included was two HRs from Soler, a HR from Salvy, a HR from O'Hearn and a HR from Starling.

Two hit whit had...two hits..and Salvy had three. Orlando, who nobody wants to talk about, also had two more hits and is batting .714 so far this spring.

Pitching was another story although the arms that will definitely make the team(Herrera and McCarthy) both pitched shutout innings.

I realize that the Royals will likely suck this year but I think they might do better than many believe.

Royals sign Lucas Duda. Royals fans remember him from the bad throw he made allowing Hosmer to score in the 2015 World Series.

Royals needed a left-handed bat. Losing Hosmer and Moose really hurt from the left side of the plate. O'Hearn has looked good so far in ST but some more power from the left side is never bad.

Last edited:
Other than the obvious trolling he'll get from fans, the signing of Duda isn't really that bad. Half of the money Moss would have received, but the same type of production. Not great, not bad, just a move to help fill a hole and get some depth.

I realize that the Royals will likely suck this year but I think they might do better than many believe.

Looking at the roster, there's a lot to like. The depth chart from the Royals website:

Pitcher-Duffy, Kennedy, Hammel. Duffy is Duffy and if Kennedy and Hammel can get things figured out could be a nice 1-2-3 starting rotation.
Catcher-Salvy, Butera. Salvy is the man and Butters is a good back-up.
1st Base-Duda, Dozier. Duda is a proven MLB player that will provide some pop. The expectation should be for Dozier to take over by the end of the season.
2nd Base-Whit, Mondesi. Two Hit Whit is really all we need.
Third-Cuthbert. Probably the weakest part of the infield, because of the lack of depth behind Cuthbert.
Short-Esky, Mondesi. We know what we'll get from Esky. Hopefully Mondesi can come around and be a viable replacement come 2019.
Left-Gordon.
Center-Orlando. Good speed, will wait and see how he covers the field, but probably second weakest spot behind third.
Right-Bonifacio, Soler. Up in the air, but it's right field. No need to overthink things.
DH-Soler, Bonifacio. I'm guessing Duda gets some DH work as does Salvy. Decent power at DH, but strikeouts have to be avoided from that spot this year.
Bullpen-Probably where things fall apart. The only name I recognize and trust is Herrera. Maurer didn't impress last year.

I think the hitting and fielding will be there, but the pitching outside of Duffy and Herrera (who may not have many opportunities to pitch in save situations) is what will hold this team back. Maybe someone like Junis will surprise, or another arm in the bullpen. I can see a lot of 6-4 leads in the 7th turning into 8-7 losses this season.

Looking at the roster, there's a lot to like. The depth chart from the Royals website:

Pitcher-Duffy, Kennedy, Hammel. Duffy is Duffy and if Kennedy and Hammel can get things figured out could be a nice 1-2-3 starting rotation.
Catcher-Salvy, Butera. Salvy is the man and Butters is a good back-up.
1st Base-Duda, Dozier. Duda is a proven MLB player that will provide some pop. The expectation should be for Dozier to take over by the end of the season.
2nd Base-Whit, Mondesi. Two Hit Whit is really all we need.
Third-Cuthbert. Probably the weakest part of the infield, because of the lack of depth behind Cuthbert.
Short-Esky, Mondesi. We know what we'll get from Esky. Hopefully Mondesi can come around and be a viable replacement come 2019.
Left-Gordon.
Center-Orlando. Good speed, will wait and see how he covers the field, but probably second weakest spot behind third.
Right-Bonifacio, Soler. Up in the air, but it's right field. No need to overthink things.
DH-Soler, Bonifacio. I'm guessing Duda gets some DH work as does Salvy. Decent power at DH, but strikeouts have to be avoided from that spot this year.
Bullpen-Probably where things fall apart. The only name I recognize and trust is Herrera. Maurer didn't impress last year.

I think the hitting and fielding will be there, but the pitching outside of Duffy and Herrera (who may not have many opportunities to pitch in save situations) is what will hold this team back. Maybe someone like Junis will surprise, or another arm in the bullpen. I can see a lot of 6-4 leads in the 7th turning into 8-7 losses this season.
Agree, there is some talent there. I think they are looking for O'Hearn to win a job at 1B. Dozier is a 3B and while there was talk of moving him to 1B, his injuries have been the biggest obstacle in his career. Dozier definitely has the higher ceiling of the two.

Pitching has more questions for sure but in addition to Junis, Skogland and Oaks might make a run at a spot as well.

Last edited:

Royals win again making them 4-0. The only undefeated team left in spring training. Other than that being meaningless, it means a lot.:thumbsup:

Ian Kennedy strikes out the side in the 1st inning for the Royals. World Series here we come.

Ex-Husker Asche hits a 3-run HR for the Royals today in Zona. Soler also hit his 4th HR.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back