• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked 2017 National Signing Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Riley mentioned in his press conference yesterday that they would have honored Allen's scholarship when asked about the injury. Based on that, I don't see Riley going the way of Alabama, etc. Now, if the player has graduated, is still eligible, and not contributed, he might be on board with that.

You can also put a kid on a medical scholarship as we did Blake Lawrence as just an example if its legitimate. However, schools like Alabama and Ohio State have misused that option in order to get kids off of scholarship.

Agree with your last sentence and I have already stated as such in another post.

Yes. He's likely not at risk due to signing day flip outs.

But if we don't have flips, we risk leaving a kid hanging. I agree I hate to have scholarships not utilized, but there seems to be a fine line that we struggle with when it comes to recruiting.

I do have an alternate view for this. We all want NE to win but most of us want it done with dignity and class. If you have too many people on the hook then on signing day you will have to tell some of the kids that. "I know we said we want yuo but we oversigned. Sorry we can't take you. " I never want us to be that team.

I agree with your post in principal, but how many years have we under leveraged our scholarship numbers. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting the results to change. I love our walk ons and most of them are scholarship worthy and great kids. Having said that, there are so many unexpected transfers, dismissals, etc. that aiming to over sign by 3 wouldn't mean reneging on a scholarship offer. What I am trying to say is that I really like the 20 guys we got, great quality, but we could have gone into the last day with more numbers. That may have meant we offer a Patrick Arnold or a Kitrell who we probably would have got had we offered. I don't follow the recruiting as close as RR, N2FL, ***, etc., but I am in sales and sales is a game of metrics and also knowing if you are a fit for the prospect and vice versa. I like that they went after the best 4 & 5 stars, but after NSD, I think we ended up with who we thought we were going to get, thus we were 2-3 short of where we should have been. I am a fan of this staff, but I think they are also subject to some constructive criticism and I think MR admitted their pursuit of Calvin after her spurned them the first time, was flawed. Yes, this year is better than last, but if you don't set high expectations, you will never reach them. Let's hope the staff learns from the last two years and make some small changes into their numbers strategy. A great winning season would also go a long way, i.e. 10+ wins and a west title. We should definitely beat wisky and iowa more on a regular basis with the talent we have. GBR!!

I don't think this is much of an issue, their is a good chance that over half of the class will redshirt so it's not like they are needed next year. The 2 or 3 scholarships that aren't currently taken can be used to bring in a grad transfer that can help or given to a hard working walk on Senior that deserves it. Next year is a smaller class so those 3 scholarships can be used then to bring in a few more top notch guys for 2018 class. I don't see any panic in the staff they got this under control.

Well to be honest, if the team struggles the next 1-2 years and look at the 2018 schedule, MR may not see this strategy play out and if he is fired, the next coach will inherit a good situation. I'm not in that camp and at this point I think our best course of action is to give MR a chance to implement his strategy. I am one that hopes it works

There is an argument to be made that if a kid has gotten his degree and has one of two years eligibility left but has been a noncontributor that the school has met there end of the bargain and puling the scholarship instead of paying for a post graduate degree would be okay. Frankly I could get in line with that.

I agree 100% and it would help us with our numbers and keeping up with tOSU & Mich. I don't think we are going to win the over signing battle. I do think the early visits and early signing period will benefit us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back