• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked 2013 recruiting class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why doesn't Nebraska have the top end recruits in our own backyard? Do you think it is a population thing, or are our HS coaches lacking?

Population is a huge factor. Coaching could be I suppose, but I don't think Nebraska hs coaches are that far behind coaches in other states, so I wouldn't chalk it up to that. Also, with the amount of camps these kids can attend, college coaching is readily available if the athlete is wanting to put in the effort.

I will say this, my buddy that lives around Topeka grew up in the Dallas area until he went to high school and he said they started playing football extremely early, like 2nd grade. And with pads on. I think that, coupled with spring football, 7 on 7 camps all summer, you can really develop your skills. On the other hand, my friend that coaches at a metro Omaha school said that most of the kids he gets on the freshmen team have played one or two years of organized sports, if that, before they get into high school. So their potential is thru the roof. He said his freshmen team may get beat pretty good by the Millard and Papillion schools where teams and money are readily available, but by the time they get to be juniors and seniors, many times they pass the skill level of the kids that have been playing for longer.

Long story short, I would say it's population. There is a reason why Class A schools are usually better in every sport than that of the smaller schools. They have more people to choose from, and the competition they play is better. Lop-sided scores in Class D and C for ffootball are not uncommon. Class A and B usually have fairly competitive games.

Numbers and year-round football in the southern states makes the bulk of the difference.

this is the biggest difference. I don't think the HS coaching in Nebraska is much different from schools in FL, TX, CA, etc.. Being a TX kid at one point in time, many many years ago ;) I consistently was competing from Jan 1 to Dec 31. And imagine if a kid stuck to one or two sports, along with the amount of kids he's competing against....... Also, many high schools in those areas have coaches on staff that are strictly coaches, not a Geometry teacher then after school they put on a hat and whistle. I'm not sure if Nebraska has schools like that. I know in Omaha, I hadn't seen it when I was dealing with some of the students a few years back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back