• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2 year extension for Frost

I've already said this, but what the heck, I will again. I don't buy this.

I don't buy the idea that you need to invest even more heavily in Frost due to fear of failure from a future unknown hire.

I absolutely believe Nebraska is capable of hiring a coach along the lines of PJ Fleck, Chris Klieman, or Matt Rhule. There are always coaches like this out there waiting for a leap from a lesser program. Successful coaches. Yes, there's also the chance we land another dud. But you can't allow fear of the unknown to dictate the present. That said, it would all be easier if Frost simply succeeds and this discussion and worry dies.

But if a bigger school comes along, Fleck is gone. And that’s the fear for Nebraska in the future... will the Flecks, Kliemans, and Rhules of the world stick around at Nebraska for the long haul? Or just see it as a stepping stone? I’m not sure outsiders would see this as a destination job anymore.

Last edited:

But if a bigger school comes along, Fleck is gone. And that’s the fear for Nebraska in the future... will the Flecks, Kliemans, and Rhules of the world stick around at Nebraska for the long haul? Or just see it as a stepping stone? I’m not sure outsiders would see this as a destination job anymore.
Don't see nothing wrong with a coach coming in for a couple of years and setting the world on fire, then leaving.... That would mean that we are winning again.

Don't see nothing wrong with a coach coming in for a couple of years and setting the world on fire, then leaving.... That would mean that we are winning again.

Sure, we’d be winning... for the short time that the coach is in Lincoln. I would hate for Nebraska to become a stepping stone for someone to get to Ohio State or some other elite school. Hopefully Frost can get us back to the promised land.

I’d agree. Which scares me.

I do think Moos, Davidson and the group at the heart of NU athletics knows how this works and knows people are starting to get antsy. As a general rule, Nebraska has not shown much in the way of restraint when it comes to expectations as compared to outcomes within the football program....for mostly the wrong reasons. My guess is he has zero plans of looking to make or force a move this year or next and supporting the staff publicly this way is his best vehicle to deliver that support.

He's hearing the BS, which I'm sure is the part that scares you and does scare me. My hope is that at this point he's not hearing it from anyone that matters. I hope for all our sakes we don't have anyone with any power who's that short sighted.

Don’t you get extensions for productive work?

I’m all for SF but if he was named ‘Joe Blow’ and hailed from Florida, the fishbowl would have already spit him out.

Last edited:
I do think Moos, Davidson and the group at the heart of NU athletics knows how this works and knows people are starting to get antsy. As a general rule, Nebraska has not shown much in the way of restraint when it comes to expectations as compared to outcomes within the football program....for mostly the wrong reasons. My guess is he has zero plans of looking to make or force a move this year or next and supporting the staff publicly this way is his best vehicle to deliver that support.

He's hearing the BS, which I'm sure is the part that scares you and does scare me. My hope is that at this point he's not hearing it from anyone that matters. I hope for all our sakes we don't have anyone with any power who's that short sighted.
I think it’s a big recruiting weekend and they are hearing on the recruiting trail that his season and his name being on the hot seat is an issue for some kids that don’t want to commit to a coach that may not be there. So they extended him and it’s why the social media post said “here to stay.” What’s just so fascinating to me is our play on the field got us in that spot, and he was rewarded with another 10 million. Crazy to me.

Soon to be followed by losing again when said coach leaves.

there are only so many of programs that would be able to take a coach away from NU. That coach's alma mater, ND, BAMA, OSU, etc. Maybe a dozen? And if one of those programs comes and offers our guy $10M then it means we must have had a few really fun years and are in a good situation.

Fear of that scenario should not drive poor decisions.

there are only so many of programs that would be able to take a coach away from NU. That coach's alma mater, ND, BAMA, OSU, etc. Maybe a dozen? And if one of those programs comes and offers our guy $10M then it means we must have had a few really fun years and are in a good situation.

Fear of that scenario should not drive poor decisions.
One of the reasons it makes me tilt my head, is because apparently Moos let outside pressure/noise dictate an 8 figure pay day for someone sub .500

I think it’s a big recruiting weekend and they are hearing on the recruiting trail that his season and his name being on the hot seat is an issue for some kids that don’t want to commit to a coach that may not be there. So they extended him and it’s why the social media post said “here to stay.” What’s just so fascinating to me is our play on the field got us in that spot, and he was rewarded with another 10 million. Crazy to me.

I don't disagree at all. Poor performance on field and in prep the week of games at least in part has this team at 4-6 and people grousing. I'm OK with this if it's needed to bridge the gap and get this team over the hump recruiting wise. I'm not OK with another 4-8 this year, followed by another losing season next, but I'm Ok with the support the administration is showing.

I don't disagree at all. Poor performance on field and in prep the week of games at least in part has this team at 4-6 and people grousing. I'm OK with this if it's needed to bridge the gap and get this team over the hump recruiting wise. I'm not OK with another 4-8 this year, followed by another losing season next, but I'm Ok with the support the administration is showing.
That’s kind of my thing. Next year we have a tough schedule, so what do we do if we are 3-3 next year? Or 4-4? Extend him again?

That’s kind of my thing. Next year we have a tough schedule, so what do we do if we are 3-3 next year? Or 4-4? Extend him again?

Not in my opinion, but I understand your point. I actually think next year's schedule looks to be set up for a fast start again, but a brutal finish. Most likely already bowl eligible before the Ohio State game when things start to get dicey. This extension sets the table, IMO and you really can't do this again unless it's near the end of the contract.

Not in my opinion, but I understand your point. I actually think next year's schedule looks to be set up for a fast start again, but a brutal finish. Most likely already bowl eligible before the Ohio State game when things start to get dicey. This extension sets the table, IMO and you really can't do this again unless it's near the end of the contract.
I hope you’re right... but we start off with Purdue who we haven’t beat in the Frost tenure. Cent Michigan May give us some relief, but South Dakota State worries me and Cincy is 9-1 so far this year.

Luckily our next 3 games are Northwestern, Illinois, and Rutgers.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back