• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

1890 mixup

I don't donate because I simply don't trust them. Although, I was donating to the stadium expansion and look what they did for me.

Agreed. Matt is there for PR and he's a lackey for the family imho. He runs around selling how kind and generous they are for donating all the resources for NIL. Private equity, like the Peeds, own all NILs of matter in the country now. Whatever they donate or give to the NIL is either a business expense or donation that can be deducted likely. They are in the business of tax avoidance at the level of wealth they are currently. Their golf network functions for them much the same way. The NIL is not a non-profit entity despite the sound of the name--1890 Initiative.

Even if all the profits within the NIL go to recruit athletes, the NIL itself (owned by the Peeds) likely buys product from the Peeds own existing businesses in general or businesses they set up outside the NIL to buy and sell product so they are both the seller and buyer. Lot of pricing control there. I understand we need a healthy NIL but in many ways donating to it is akin to a municipality paying for a multibillion dollar NFL stadium for its wealthy owner to profit off of without much risk.

Trev was likely battling to have control of the revenue stream NIL can provide as a way to pay the players which he knew was coming down the pike. This was likely why he refused to work politely with 1890; in many ways they are in competition with the Athletic Department. Private equity won out however. They now have control of the revenue stream and the University will have to find other revenue streams to help cover the (up to) $20 million. That was part of the stadium renovation plans that were so grand ... to provide more revenue streams by way of bars, restaurants, and of course more skybox or club amenities.

With budget cuts from then governor (appropriated by the unicameral) the Athletics Department will now be in ever more competition with its own university for donations, and now with the NIL for donations. The Athletics Department was the loser in this situation by not being able to bring NIL in house (revenues wise) yet being on the hook to pay the athletes out of their pockets.

I know someone will accuse me of bringing politics into this but it's just a statement of the likelihood of what is going on. How you feel about it is up to you. It's hard to leave it out. When you look at where quite a few of the Regents running for election received their contributions it's easy to see who is trying to pull all the strings at the University.

Pillen being involved in the selection process of our President and Chancellor could technically put our accreditation at risk which could result in the loss of millions of Federal dollars. It likely won't however. There are a lot of blurry lines right now. The hiring of Gold appears to be to, most of all, help us get back our AAU membership which the Big Ten has informed us is very important to them. Getting football in a better place obviously a huge factor too.

All of this may not matter a ton if college football essentially leaves the NCAA behind and conferences don't matter as much for football, but it's a precarious spot for us currently--we need to start winning SOON. A lot more change is gonna happen in the next 5 years likely. I'm not saying it WILL happen but it's a possibility we could get left behind.

Agreed. Matt is there for PR and he's a lackey for the family imho. He runs around selling how kind and generous they are for donating all the resources for NIL. Private equity, like the Peeds, own all NILs of matter in the country now. Whatever they donate or give to the NIL is either a business expense or donation that can be deducted likely. They are in the business of tax avoidance at the level of wealth they are currently. Their golf network functions for them much the same way. The NIL is not a non-profit entity despite the sound of the name--1890 Initiative.

Even if all the profits within the NIL go to recruit athletes, the NIL itself (owned by the Peeds) likely buys product from the Peeds own existing businesses in general or businesses they set up outside the NIL to buy and sell product so they are both the seller and buyer. Lot of pricing control there. I understand we need a healthy NIL but in many ways donating to it is akin to a municipality paying for a multibillion dollar NFL stadium for its wealthy owner to profit off of without much risk.

Trev was likely battling to have control of the revenue stream NIL can provide as a way to pay the players which he knew was coming down the pike. This was likely why he refused to work politely with 1890; in many ways they are in competition with the Athletic Department. Private equity won out however. They now have control of the revenue stream and the University will have to find other revenue streams to help cover the (up to) $20 million. That was part of the stadium renovation plans that were so grand ... to provide more revenue streams by way of bars, restaurants, and of course more skybox or club amenities.

With budget cuts from then governor (appropriated by the unicameral) the Athletics Department will now be in ever more competition with its own university for donations, and now with the NIL for donations. The Athletics Department was the loser in this situation by not being able to bring NIL in house (revenues wise) yet being on the hook to pay the athletes out of their pockets.

I know someone will accuse me of bringing politics into this but it's just a statement of the likelihood of what is going on. How you feel about it is up to you. It's hard to leave it out. When you look at where quite a few of the Regents running for election received their contributions it's easy to see who is trying to pull all the strings at the University.

Pillen being involved in the selection process of our President and Chancellor could technically put our accreditation at risk which could result in the loss of millions of Federal dollars. It likely won't however. There are a lot of blurry lines right now. The hiring of Gold appears to be to, most of all, help us get back our AAU membership which the Big Ten has informed us is very important to them. Getting football in a better place obviously a huge factor too.

All of this may not matter a ton if college football essentially leaves the NCAA behind and conferences don't matter as much for football, but it's a precarious spot for us currently--we need to start winning SOON. A lot more change is gonna happen in the next 5 years likely. I'm not saying it WILL happen but it's a possibility we could get left behind.
Competition is great, but it has to exist

Competition is going to be tough both on and off the field! N is going to need big $ to accomplish both! Getting back into the AAU and bringing our ranking among Universities is a priority! We were in the top 100 schools at the time when joining the B1G. The US News & World Report showed N at #153 in their last ranking. The athletic department, especially our biggest financial resource, football also needs to make a statement! This year overall our athletes have done a great job, but we also need the “cash cow” football to be the leader!! GBR

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back