• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

100 Days

So you think replacing 4 starting linemen, including 3-three year starters, one 1st team All-B1G and two 3rd team All-B1G players that they’re going to be just as formidable as they were last season?

No one disputes that they are well coached, no one disputes that they’re a run centric program but you’d have to puffing on some mighty strong stuff not to think they’re going to have some kind of a drop off.

They cannot nor will not be as good as they were this past season at least initially.
Yes they have done it before it’s what good coaching gets you

I’m not saying they are not beatable but they will have them ready to play.

They are replacing all 5 of their offensive linemen, their starting RB (Ibrahim), their starting QB (Tanner Morgan) albeit presumed starter Kaliakmanis is tested. Bottom line is they are untested, especially on offense … good time to play them is game 1 in week 1.

Not correct.

Minnesota returns 2 of 5 starting offensive lineman -- both their right and left tackle.

Also, their projected starter at center started in Minnesota's bowl game.

The Gophers actually had to replace 4 starting offensive lineman from 2021 last season. And they did just fine.

That's credit to their very good offensive line coach, Brian Callahan. He's produced first and/or second team all-Big Ten offensive linemen in 4 of the past 5 years (Covid-shortened 2020 is the exception). Callahan is also their run game coordinator.

Athan Kaliakmanis played 42% of the snaps at QB last year for Minnesota -- so he's really not that green. And Tanner Morgan was quite average. Kaliakmanis, a 4-star recruit, has more upside than Morgan.

At RB, the starter will likely be a transfer from Western Michigan, who rushed for over 1,000 years each of the past two seasons. He chose Minnesota after initially picking Oklahoma State. Sean Tyler is also a very good receiving back and returner -- more explosive speed than the Gophers have had at that position.

I don't think your track record of talking down opponents has panned out in Nebraska's favor very often. :Biggrin: ;)

Last edited:
Not correct.

Minnesota returns 2 of 5 starting offensive lineman -- both their right and left tackle.

Also, their projected starter at center started in Minnesota's bowl game.

The Gophers actually had to replace 4 starting offensive lineman from 2021 last season. And they did just fine.

That's credit to their very good offensive line coach, Brian Callahan. He's produced first and/or second team all-Big Ten offensive linemen in 4 of the past 5 years (Covid-shortened 2020 is the exception). Callahan is also their run game coordinator.

Athan Kaliakmanis played 42% of the snaps at QB last year for Minnesota -- so he's really not that green. And Tanner Morgan was quite average. Kaliakmanis, a 4-star recruit, has more upside than Morgan.

At RB, the starter will likely be a transfer from Western Michigan, who rushed for over 1,000 years each of the past two seasons. He chose Minnesota after initially picking Oklahoma State. Sean Tyler is also a very good receiving back and returner -- more explosive speed than the Gophers have had at that position.

I don't think your track record of talking down opponents has panned out in Nebraska's favor very often. :Biggrin: ;)
Not true on many accounts.
Their 3 interior linemen are were 3-year starters.
Their starting center was 1st team All-B1G and a 2nd round pick.

I laugh at the suggestion that their projected starter at C started the bowl game. That’s not game day starting experience. How many snaps did he have playing behind a consensus All-B1G performer?

And I am NOT talking down opponents, I am defending a position that Minnesotas offensive line isn’t going to be as good as it was last year. The asinine stubborn position that they’ll be “just as good” as last year is un-defendable. Any attempt to do so otherwise is simply being argumentative.

Additionally I have stated UofMs OLine is well coached and institutionalized as a position of strength … but if we have to play them, playing them early is an advantage because this unit will not have a chance to gel as they might later in the season.

The offensive line is the Gophers’ biggest question mark on the offensive side of the ball. With John Michael Schmitz off the NFL, this will be the first time in a few seasons that Minnesota will not have a sure-fire pro in the trenches. Aireontae Ersery will need to take a step forward for this group to be elite. Quinn Carroll has moved inside to right guard which I believe is a much more natural position for his skillset. Martes Lewis, Nathan Boe and Tyler Cooper will likely all be first-year starters and Karter Shaw will likely act as the swing option. Overall Brian Callahan has shown the ability to be an elite offensive line coach and he will need to prove it again this season.

97 arguments by husker fans in a countdown thread,
97 arguments by fans...
I would add on the quarterback that while there could be some upside to him over Morgan Tanner it is debatable. His numbers are dismal compared to Tanners. But again he might shine in a starter role. Bottom line is Minnesota appears to have some growth they need to Harness going into the season like Nebraska.

cant-we-all-mtcv9h.jpg

I agree that MN is nothing special, but I always wonder why when posters run them down about their drop off in game one, nobody ever compares their issues to NU and our own in changes to have clicking by game 1.

I'm really glad NU is going to easily overcome: changing offensive philosophy, new OC, new QB, new center, returning lineman who are either injury prone or not that good, unproven TEs, loss of your best receiver; new defensive scheme, new DC, new faces at every level on D, and assistants on both sides of the ball who have never coached together.

That sounds so much easier to get ready for game 1 than replacing 3 O-lineman who have played within your system, a QB who has experience, and plugging in a 1,000yd rusher. Sure, MN really won't have much film on NU, but one thing we learned from the Frost era is that all the other coaches in the B1G were able to make in game adjustments.

This game is winnable, but probably a toss up at best. My overall point is the silliness of overlooking all the changes in our program. I'd be very surprised if this NU team comes out in game 1 and plays better than the team that beat Iowa to end the season last year. There will be growing pains.

I agree that MN is nothing special, but I always wonder why when posters run them down about their drop off in game one, nobody ever compares their issues to NU and our own in changes to have clicking by game 1.

I'm really glad NU is going to easily overcome: changing offensive philosophy, new OC, new QB, new center, returning lineman who are either injury prone or not that good, unproven TEs, loss of your best receiver; new defensive scheme, new DC, new faces at every level on D, and assistants on both sides of the ball who have never coached together.

That sounds so much easier to get ready for game 1 than replacing 3 O-lineman who have played within your system, a QB who has experience, and plugging in a 1,000yd rusher. Sure, MN really won't have much film on NU, but one thing we learned from the Frost era is that all the other coaches in the B1G were able to make in game adjustments.

This game is winnable, but probably a toss up at best. My overall point is the silliness of overlooking all the changes in our program. I'd be very surprised if this NU team comes out in game 1 and plays better than the team that beat Iowa to end the season last year. There will be growing pains.
Certainly I am not discounting the entirety of the changes Nebraska faces ... But arguing that Minnesota is going to sh!tstomp Nebraska because they have a history of good to great offensive line play is inaccurate.

Minnesota won't know what to expect defensively from NU (heck we won't know what to expect). That is going to be more true because of the experience or lack thereof returning on their offensive line. Most of these guys don't know what the guy next to them is going to do much less the guy across the line of scrimmage from them.

Minnesota may have the best O-Line coach in the conference and they've established their reputation as a grind it out team. Yes, they might have a good team but I will take our offensive line over theirs in game 1.

If I was betting serious money on this game - I would take Minnesota - too much newness on the part of Nebraska.

But arguing that Minnesota is going to sh!tstomp Nebraska because they have a history of good to great offensive line play is inaccurate.
Did I miss something because I don't remember anyone saying that would be the case??

Another one of our threads with no grey area. Everything is either black or white. Nobody is claiming a stomping and nobody dismissing the magnitude of the rebuild at Nebraska. Probably why everyone agrees 7.5 point underdog is about right.

I do have to agree with the premise that Minnesota is losing much of their star power and it might be better to get them early where their offense could have some of the same issues we could.

Another one of our threads with no grey area. Everything is either black or white. Nobody is claiming a stomping and nobody dismissing the magnitude of the rebuild at Nebraska. Probably why everyone agrees 7.5 point underdog is about right.

I do have to agree with the premise that Minnesota is losing much of their star power and it might be better to get them early where their offense could have some of the same issues we could.
Nobody dismissed the magnitude of NU's rebuild because it wasn't even mentioned until my post at #24. I was simply breaking up the confirmation bias fest.

Fans of both teams can look at this game and think its better to get them early.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back