• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

“I hope the B1G has to adjust to us”

I agree completely with what you're saying. I also think the way both coaches said it are different, though. One had a tinge of arrogance and one had a quiet confidence. I'm sure that's my bias coming out a little, but that's the way I interpreted Frost's statement yesterday.

Don’t disagree.

I agree completely with what you're saying. I also think the way both coaches said it are different, though. One had a tinge of arrogance and one had a quiet confidence. I'm sure that's my bias coming out a little, but that's the way I interpreted Frost's statement yesterday.

The word in bold above eventually just became ignorance because of statement in bold below. :callahan:

I didn't have a problem with it either. Until he didn't take what he wanted

The reason some people gave BC hell for his comment yet love Frost's comments is primarily because some people hated BC while most all love Frost. Period.

I don't have an issue with either statement. I like Frost's confidence. He SHOULD be confident. His offense just put up 500 yards passing against a Top25 opponent!
Actually it was 726 yds but who's counting? :eek: :Biggrin:

I'd just like to get back to running an offense that requires some serious thought and near perfect execution for an opposing defense to slow, much less stop. I've grown weary of any team with a good defense taking away much of what NU does. Additionally, being able to score points in bunches flips the table on opposing offenses. Keeps the pressure on. That'll be nice as well.

Glen Mason was the head coach at Kansas from '88-96. You could say Osborne had has number:

1996 W 63 - 7
1995 W 41 - 3
1994 W 45 - 17
1993 W 21 - 20
1992 W 49 - 7
1991 W 59 - 23
1990 W 41 - 9
1989 W 51 - 14
1988 W 63 - 10

Okay. I get it. But when I think of Glen Mason, I remember the '93 game when he did his own "going for two" after KU scored late in the game. He could have kicked the extra point and ended our NC hopes by tying a tie around our necks but instead he went for two. I have also never, when listening to him in his role as a commentator on BTN, heard him say one thing unfair about NU.

He's got my respect.

I'd just like to get back to running an offense that requires some serious thought and near perfect execution for an opposing defense to slow, much less stop. I've grown weary of any team with a good defense taking away much of what NU does. Additionally, being able to score points in bunches flips the table on opposing offenses. Keeps the pressure on. That'll be nice as well.

Hence all the takeaways for the defense. Well, that and the same team speed on that side of the ball.

Last edited:

I know there was a series of two articles posted about the Kelly/Frost offense and it made me drool. Been looking forward to returning to a modern college offense since Beck, but now we have the power spread we really wanted. ( Beck/Mangino was always more pass oriented.)

The simplicity of blocking schemes and using numbers and reads to overstress the defense out of multiple formations, RPO's, etc.. Then you see it in action...

As much as I love a dominant, smothering defense...the rules have changed. We are going to have to get used to some numbers we may not like, but if our offense is as good as advertised, you just need to make a couple more stops or get a turnover or two more and you win handily. The real number that matters is W's.

I definitely can be considered RTDBG (run the damn ball guy), but this is the best offense in modern college football to be running for a variety of reasons. No way did I want to see a flexbone. This is a logical extension/evolution of Osborne's concepts, run by a guy who mastered that offense. I LOVE it!

Stanford runs the ball to control the clock and keep it away from your high-powered offense. Frost's will be facing a whole conference of Stanfords in the B1G.

I only count four teams that are similar to Stanford: Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Iowa. Who am I missing? Penn State and Ohio State both run variances of the spread and both are fairly uptempo.

Okay. I get it. But when I think of Glen Mason, I remember the '93 game when he did his own "going for two" after KU scored late in the game. He could have kicked the extra point and ended our NC hopes by tying a tie around our necks but instead he went for two. I have also never, when listening to him in his role as a commentator on BTN, heard him say one thing unfair about NU.

He's got my respect.
That was my first Nebraska away game...although the KU student union was filled from wall to wall with Cornhusker fans. I went with another teacher who was a big KU fan. We sat in the north end zone where KU went for two, and I remember Trev Alberts calling out the defensive adjustment and the Blackshirts stopped the conversion. Lawrence, KS, the home to Nebraska's south stadium...good memories.

I know there was a series of two articles posted about the Kelly/Frost offense and it made me drool. Been looking forward to returning to a modern college offense since Beck, but now we have the power spread we really wanted. ( Beck/Mangino was always more pass oriented.)

The simplicity of blocking schemes and using numbers and reads to overstress the defense out of multiple formations, RPO's, etc.. Then you see it in action...

As much as I love a dominant, smothering defense...the rules have changed. We are going to have to get used to some numbers we may not like, but if our offense is as good as advertised, you just need to make a couple more stops or get a turnover or two more and you win handily. The real number that matters is W's.

I definitely can be considered RTDBG (run the damn ball guy), but this is the best offense in modern college football to be running for a variety of reasons. No way did I want to see a flexbone. This is a logical extension/evolution of Osborne's concepts, run by a guy who mastered that offense. I LOVE it!

I was a little shocked at the offense the first time I saw UCF this fall. Against Memphis the first time to be exact. Watched part of other games as well and he's just got the thing set up to create and exploit holes in defenses in a way reminiscent of mid '90's Osborne offenses like you mentioned...only much faster.

The defense does concern me and needs to improve. Hopefully the UCF issues have more to do with talent than coaching.. Memphis has a hell of an offense as well, but that was Diaco-esque. I felt the strain.

I am/was a run the damn ball guy, but the last three years hav convinced me it makes no difference what NU does, just do it consistently, do it well enough to win and be able to adjust to take what's there.

Is it Spring yet?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back