• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

You Know It's a Sad State of Affairs When.... (NU-IU Game Thread)

It is on some time tomorrow, also. Not downstairs, so can't be sure what time. Around noon, I think, MTN time. :)

I see it set at 12 Noon EST Thursday.

I checked the score tonight after having forgotten about the game earlier and was stunned to learn we had won. I came to read this thread and enjoyed the postgame euphoria.....then I remember attending a game back in my early college days in the early 1960s that we beat Michigan State, ranked and with Cazzie Russell. That great upset seems never to have led to much of anything as we all know!!!

Ah, the annual "NU upset of a ranked team at home in a mid-week game in the middle of the conference season!" I guessed the Michigan game, at the beginning of conference play, but that was before Indiana got hot and entered the top 25. I've always said after wins like this, it's only as big as your next game. Sure, a win over Indiana feels great right now, but won't mean much if NU goes 1-3 (or worse) in their next 4 games.

Ah, the annual "NU upset of a ranked team at home in a mid-week game in the middle of the conference season!" I guessed the Michigan game, at the beginning of conference play, but that was before Indiana got hot and entered the top 25. I've always said after wins like this, it's only as big as your next game. Sure, a win over Indiana feels great right now, but won't mean much if NU goes 1-3 (or worse) in their next 4 games.

All true, but glad for the win. Still maintain we get to six wins in conference and doc is back next year....

All true, but glad for the win. Still maintain we get to six wins in conference and doc is back next year....

6 wins still looks pretty optimistic at this point. Finding 2 or 3 more wins may be a pretty tough climb as it is.

Some quick thoughts from being at the game:

- At 60-49 and given the team's slow start in the 2nd half, I thought it was over.

- Doc also had some interesting post-game comments. Via Matt Schick on Twitter:
"I know everybody in this room don't think I know anything about offense but I can steal a lot of stuff from people that do."
In the radio postgame, he also referenced/clarified that he always wants his players to take good shots, no matter how many passes/time it takes. It seemed to contradict what he said around the time of the first NU-UW game. An upset win over a struggling IU team (3 straight L's) isn't enough to validate what has typically been a weak offensive attack by NU under Sadler.

Down by 11 with under 7 to play, 19 out of 20 times, a team will not be able to comeback like that. Such a rally is quite rare in college basketball.

NU is not good are making shots (which is in part a function of not getting good shots) and they don't rebound will offensively, they turn the ball over way too much and the don't get to the FT line. If you aren't good at 4 of the 4 offensive things the effect the outcome of a game, you are not good offensively.

~7 minutes to play is an eternity in Basketball ... heck, in last years ACC tournament, Virginia led by 10 with under a minute left and wound up losing in OT.

---
Can't get over all the negativity following what was a thrilling NU victory :rolleyes:
----

Great to see (& hear) the fans raising the roof at the Bob. Exciting victory against the storied Hoosiers -> way to go guys!
:thumbsup:

Last edited:
~7 minutes to play is an eternity in Basketball ... heck, in last years ACC tournament, Virginia led by 10 with under a minute left and wound up losing in OT.

---
Can't get over all the negativity following what was a thrilling NU victory :rolleyes:
----

Great to see (& hear) the fans raising the roof at the Bob. Exciting victory against the storied Hoosiers -> way to go guys!
:thumbsup:

Really, after many years of crappy basketball and you don't understand why the negative comments?

yeah, they won, but we have seen this year after year after year.. We get a big win, people get optimistic only to have their hopes crushed a game or 2 later.

last year it was #13 A&M
2 years before that it was #16 UT

Last edited by a moderator:

Really, you don't understand the negative comments? After many years of crappy basketball and you don't understand why the negative comments?

yeah, they won, but we have seen this year after year after year.. We get a big win, people get optimistic only to have their hopes crushed a game or 2 later.

Same thing year after year... well, you get the point.

last year it was #13 A&M
2 years before that it was #16 UT

I do understand the negative comments... it's what Nebraska Basketball is all about... the program wins ~53% of the time.

Danny Nee (254-189) ~57%
Doc Sadler (99-78) ~56%

Not much history or tradition to build on, so my point was simply, at some point apathy has to yield to optimism.
For most that means a new coach, work that out however you want... but don't diminish the highlights along the journey.

Last edited:
I do understand the negative comments... it's what Nebraska Basketball is all about... the program wins ~53% of the time.

Danny Nee (254-189) ~57%
Doc Sadler (99-78) ~56%

Not much history or tradition to build on, so my point was simply, at some point apathy has to yield to optimism.
For most that means a new coach, work that out however you want... but don't diminish the highlights along the journey.

I can agree with what you said, but in the end, one win means nothing if it is only one win.. if they build on this, then we can truly have optimism.

Danny Nee (254-189) ~57%
Doc Sadler (99-78) ~56%

There are those that do want to diminish anything that goes in a positive way for our team. Some that's just their nature.....they have to find a reason to be negative unless we're undefeated and dominating(which has never happened with our basketball program.....yet), and refuse to enjoy the journey, instead nitting at everything. Some are just Creighton fans who have less interest in supporting their own team than they do in criticizing ours.

But........and I think those that have posted in this thread that were actually at the game can attest, while there are still a lot of things to work on, the pure enjoyment that the fans, players and coaches had at the end of the game the other night was one of those truly special Nebraska highlights.

The students were truly special and into the game. I'm not sure I remember a Nebraska game since we've moved from the Coliseum into Devaney where the crowd stood and was into the game for the last 5 minutes as we saw the other night.

Indiana is a quality team that's still trying to figure out how to win after struggling for a few years. It seemed like they were doing so many things right, it was amazing what our kids were doing to stay in the game and put themselves in position to win at the end.

Some have criticized the students for rushing the court after the game, but the way things played out, it was so very natural. It wasn't a put on, it was true joy, as the students were trying to put as much as they could into the game to support their(and our) players.

Well deserved win. We still have a LOT of work to do, but pulling out that win with all the hard work that you can see our players and staff putting in is a positive that we all should enjoy.

If only we were healthy. Diaz contributes so much, even though some don't recognize how different we are as a team. Unfortunately, it sounds like he hasn't been able to practice, which to me is part of the reason that he's just a little off on his signature little baby hook.....but he still changes the game and makes our opponent respect the interior.

Talley's a bit off and not in the condition you'd like to see, but he has the mindset of an assassin. You can see so many players reluctant to shoot if they miss a few. He has a different mentality.

I don't know who caught his interview on the radio after the game, but we caught it on our ride home.

He was asked if he was relieved to see the shots fall late in the game after he'd struggled in the first half. His response, paraphrasing somewhat..."No, I was glad I missed those shots in the first half. I knew they were due to go in when I shot in the second half, I got my misses out of the way early".

Ohio St. will be tough tomorrow night.....but it was a blast to be at Devaney on Wednesday night!:)

The crowd was pretty loud, especially late in the second half.

It was annoying/frustrating with 1:54 to go when the students worked to get a HUSKER POWER chant going, only for the PA to keep blaring a song over the loudspeakers, drowning them out.

It's tough to create a home-court advantage when the university would prefer to pipe in music (as if it were a dance club), run commercials on HuskerVision, or play some silly game during every timeout or deadball.

To be fair, the pep band learned some new songs this year (the selection is questionable, but I'll still give an A for effort) and are playing more often, but the powers that be within the Athletic Department and basketball program just don't get it yet. Any crowd factor that will (ever) emerge for Nebraska basketball will be in spite of the Athletic Department and not due to their efforts.

I get what you are saying here about the scripted excitment but IMO it is getting alot better. There is less of the (activities) distations that there has ever been in recent years. They let the band play more. Is is perfect, now way but I give those that are running things credit for moving the in arean experiance in teh correct direction.

On Another note, no or simpler 1/2 time things on the court is an improvment too. The bad to dumb stuff that we saw over the few years is much reduced. maybe it is a cost cutting thing but it is an improvement.

The crowd was pretty loud, especially late in the second half.

It was annoying/frustrating with 1:54 to go when the students worked to get a HUSKER POWER chant going, only for the PA to keep blaring a song over the loudspeakers, drowning them out.

It's tough to create a home-court advantage when the university would prefer to pipe in music (as if it were a dance club), run commercials on HuskerVision, or play some silly game during every timeout or deadball.

To be fair, the pep band learned some new songs this year (the selection is questionable, but I'll still give an A for effort) and are playing more often, but the powers that be within the Athletic Department and basketball program just don't get it yet. Any crowd factor that will (ever) emerge for Nebraska basketball will be in spite of the Athletic Department and not due to their efforts.

Some are just Creighton fans who have less interest in supporting their own team than they do in criticizing ours.

Some have criticized the students for rushing the court after the game, but the way things played out, it was so very natural. It wasn't a put on, it was true joy, as the students were trying to put as much as they could into the game to support their(and our) players.

And some (at least 1) are fans of BOTH teams and sick of seeing their alma matre put a crap product on the court year after year after year with no real apparent "give a damn" by the administration. I'm 100% ok with giving a guy 4 years. Even 5. But that 2-14 debacle should not have gotten the "nothing that happens this year will affect Doc's job security". Last year wasn't progress enough IMO. That's just me. But this disaster of a 6th year with ANOTHER rebuilding season on the horizon absolutely should mean NU has to go another direction. Does NU have a long, great bball history? No. Does that mean they should just accept sucking? No. If you aren't trying...you aren't trying. Letting this go to a 7th year is not trying.

Regarding the students I did think it was funny. But only in the sense that most NU fans laugh at other schools that do it when they beat Nebraska football. IMO it's just a game...it's for fun...and, Indiana (like NU football) is still a name and it's still exciting to beat them. So rush the court. Rush the field. No harm...it's just for fun. It doesn't have to be some sort of "how sad" statement.

Great win. No doubt. But like everyone else has said. It's as predictable as the sunrise. Given enough chances...and NU will always have 10 chances or so...it WILL happen. Doesn't mean a damn thing if they fall right back into the crap basketball that truly is the norm. We'll see won't we?

Last edited:

And some (at least 1) are fans of BOTH teams and sick of seeing their alma matre put a crap product on the court year after year after year with no real apparent "give a damn" by the administration. I'm 100% ok with giving a guy 4 years. Even 5. But that 2-14 debacle should not have gotten the "nothing that happens this year will affect Doc's job security". Last year wasn't progress enough IMO. That's just me. But this disaster of a 6th year with ANOTHER rebuilding season on the horizon absolutely should mean NU has to go another direction. Does NU have a long, great bball history? No. Does that mean they should just accept sucking? No. If you aren't trying...you aren't trying. Letting this go to a 7th year is not trying.

Regarding the students I did think it was funny. But only in the sense that most NU fans laugh at other schools that do it when they beat Nebraska football. IMO it's just a game...it's for fun...and, Indiana (like NU football) is still a name and it's still exciting to beat them. So rush the court. Rush the field. No harm...it's just for fun. It doesn't have to be some sort of "how sad" statement.

Great win. No doubt. But like everyone else has said. It's as predictable as the sunrise. Given enough chances...and NU will always have 10 chances or so...it WILL happen. Doesn't mean a damn thing if they fall right back into the crap basketball that truly is the norm. We'll see won't we?

last year they beat #13 A&M... would have actually meant something if they had improved on that win, but they didn't.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back