• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Will Tre Bryant begin to emerge as a sophomore as Roy Helu did?

Will Tre Bryant begin to emerge as a sophomore as Roy Helu did?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason I think he will have a breakout season is twofold. First is that he has the talent and the experience to do so. Secondly he will be running behind a better, more talented, more experienced and better depth line than any since MR has been here.

Agreed. And while I like what Wilbon and Ozigbo both bring to the table, I think Tre is the most complete back we have and is likely to be our workhorse -- basically filling in the role that Newby had last year, only more effectively.

My guess is somewhere between 175 and 200 a game. Which if you are approaching 300 a game passing is a very solid run game.
200 rushing ypg would represent the most ever for a Riley team. The 180 ypg we averaged in 2015 currently stands as his best.

Count on somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 per game.

MR has not had a take charge running back,,,,,YET. Bryant could be his Ahman Green
Ah no, Ahman Green contributed greatly his freshman year backing up Lawrence Phillips. Green is an all-time great having played only 3 years of college ball.

You knew for a certainty that he was going to be great after his freshman year. No one can say that about Bryant at the moment.

I also doubt any RB will gain 1,000 yards rushing individually as they all will be asked to pass protect and catch a lot of passes out of the backfield

200 rushing ypg would represent the most ever for a Riley team. The 180 ypg we averaged in 2015 currently stands as his best.

Count on somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 per game.

So what is your reasoning? I am hoping and thinking we average 5 to 5.5 per rush. If we get 35 rushes a game you do the math.

So what is your reasoning? I am hoping and thinking we average 5 to 5.5 per rush. If we get 35 rushes a game you do the math.
I am thinking we average 4.3 per rush. If we get 35 rushes per game you do the math.

35 * x =180
x=5.14

35 * x = 200
x=5.714

35 * 4.3 = X
x =150.5

That was fun. Told you thread needed locked.

I guess I didn't think I was trying to be snarky. But I just don't understand the guys that think all we are going to do next year is throw the ball.

I am not sure we will throw a ton more than last year, maybe 5-6 more a game, I just think it will be a lot more effective. That will then open up the run game that much more. Yeah I think Tre Bryant or one of the other backs can have a break out year.

I would gladly take 2 backs with about 800 yards rushing and third with about 600. Then throw in about 800 yards receiving between them.

A bad line can make a great running back look pretty mediocre, and a good line can make an average back look pretty good. In other words, it all depends on how well the line plays this year.

Ah no, Ahman Green contributed greatly his freshman year backing up Lawrence Phillips. Green is an all-time great having played only 3 years of college ball.

You knew for a certainty that he was going to be great after his freshman year. No one can say that about Bryant at the moment.

I also doubt any RB will gain 1,000 yards rushing individually as they all will be asked to pass protect and catch a lot of passes out of the backfield
While that is true, Green had a line to run behind and I think you forget what Green did at Green Bay. He caught a hell of lot of short passes out of hte backfield

Last edited:
I guess I didn't think I was trying to be snarky. But I just don't understand the guys that think all we are going to do next year is throw the ball.

I am not sure we will throw a ton more than last year, maybe 5-6 more a game, I just think it will be a lot more effective. That will then open up the run game that much more. Yeah I think Tre Bryant or one of the other backs can have a break out year.

I would gladly take 2 backs with about 800 yards rushing and third with about 600. Then throw in about 800 yards receiving between them.

It was @Sonuvahusker who came off as snarky and inspired me to "do the math"....not you. ;D I'll gladly take what you suggested as well.

While that is true, Green had a line to run behind and I think you forget what Green did at Green Bay. He caught a hell of lot of short passes out of hte backfield
Living in Wisconsin ... I sure do remember what did in Packerland!

I was responding to Red October who suggested "Tre Bryant could be Mike Riley's Ahman Green". Comparing Bryant to Green does a disservice to Green. We all knew after his freshman year that AG was a superstar. Potential All-American, certain NFL caliber player and a worthy successor in a long line of high caliber I-Backs.

Tre Bryant while showing decent potential is none of those things ... and the comparison to Ahman Green is an unworthy comparison.

The reason I think he will have a breakout season is twofold. First is that he has the talent and the experience to do so. Secondly he will be running behind a better, more talented, more experienced and better depth line than any since MR has been here.

I agree with what you said, but would like to add that a pass is now a legitimate threat that the defense will have to watch out for. That will increase the potential for longer running plays.

I think too many have kind of written off any kind of run game, I do think Tre definitely has the potential to have a breakout season. What we need is for him to separate himself from the others. Hate having to use all of them during the season hoping one will finally separate themselves.
A great passing attack is going to open up the run game big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Back