• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Why we win the West

Fla_4_Huskers

Recruit
2 Year Member
Everyone is overlooking

Link

A Martinez
M Washington
D Mills
JD Spielman
W Robinson
M Jones
M Williams

Teams will need to pull a LB and play nickel. Mills or Washington will then run up the middle. Our D will be fine playing with a lead and forcing the other teams into passing and giving us turnovers.

Ohio State and Purdue will be the 2 toughest games.

Nebraska has to be the favorite to win the West. But, we are still a young program, so there could be hiccups and/or derailments along the way.

Surprise team: Minnesota... super young and getting better with a very good coach. I think the West will be a battle of Nebraska and Minnesota for several years in the not so distant future.

Wisconsin: a program on the decline imo. They've enjoyed great success, but Paul Christ does not have a long history of winning. Look at his record at Pitt. He's a mediocre coach and I think that will become more and more apparent going forward.

Iowa: program going sideways. They've benefited from Nebraska's woes the past several years. I see them as more of a nuisance going forward and less of a threat.

And, after the regular season is done, you can augment this thread with the title, "How The West Was Won".:Biggrin:

Nebraska has to be the favorite to win the West. But, we are still a young program, so there could be hiccups and/or derailments along the way.

Surprise team: Minnesota... super young and getting better with a very good coach. I think the West will be a battle of Nebraska and Minnesota for several years in the not so distant future.

Wisconsin: a program on the decline imo. They've enjoyed great success, but Paul Christ does not have a long history of winning. Look at his record at Pitt. He's a mediocre coach and I think that will become more and more apparent going forward.

Iowa: program going sideways. They've benefited from Nebraska's woes the past several years. I see them as more of a nuisance going forward and less of a threat.
Don't tell Miami that Wisconsin is on a decline pal

Last edited:

It does but I suspect it will. By familiarity alone.
What do you base our defense improving on? From what I saw last year we have quite a ways to go to stop the running games of even the avg teams in the B1G (did you even watch games like IL, WI, IA, PU, NOrthwestern, etc...?) . There is not a big difference maker coming back or any incoming guys that I’d foresee as being big difference makers. IMO, the defense will continue to allow teams to play keep away from our great offense, limiting the opportunities to score with less possessions. Thus, every B1G game will be a tough one for the defense. Our offense can play with anyone, thank goodness. We will have to win shootouts which is not easy.

I think the Huskers are definitely trending upwards, but until we cycle out of the remaining BP/MR type players, I’d think an 8-4 type season with many tossup games in there that I’ve given us W’s in. SF has done a great job in diagnosing what we need on both OL and DEfense overall to get back to being Nebraska. I’d say it’s more likely that 2020 will be our breakout season

Last edited:

There will be an argument in the next two years about which division is stronger. Even next year, I think Minnesoota (based on how it ended the year after changing coordinators), and Purdue (based on outstandfing recruiting ability and offensive play calling of their coach) will both be really tough games, and Wisconsin will still have the best RB in the league running behind a tradtionally strong OL. Playing Iowa is always tough, and our crossover game with OSU and MD cannot at this point be labeled victories. That's not even mentioning NW whom our fan base always belittles as they beat us. Way too early to assume we win in the West, much as I would like to se us do so.

The good side is that anyone seeing us on their schedule will judge us to be a tough game I would think. Should be a great year of competiton and close games.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back