• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Who makes biggest jump in progress?

I really like this thread but not really going to lay down any specifics because there are already so many good ones. I just think overall we are going to surprise people next year. I agree there are holes but anything that was really bad has a chance of making the most improvement. Offensively I'm not real worried about who replaces Ozzi and Stan. We are losing a lot there but I think we are searching 4-5 qualified people at each of those positions and believe we will have someone step up. I think offensively we will improve and defensively we will make huge gains. Add that into the schedule and it should be a pretty nice year.

What I like is that we have so many guys who looked poised to make big improvements in '19. Holes will always be there, but I have to really think back to when we had so much talent coming back that I felt improvement across the board was a very good possibility. Maybe after the '08 season?

I was going to do offense and defense...but I'm expecting big improvements on the defensive side of the ball.

1st - I truly believe Cam Taylor may be the most dynamic defensive player/athlete we have at the moment. I can see him playing a decent amount of corner in sub-packages, shifting DiCap down to the nickel on obvious passing downs.

2nd - He didnt have the year he wanted after his breakout campaign, but I'm expecting Ben Stille to have a significant impact next year, becoming one of the leaders of that Blackshirt defense.

Honarable Mention: Khalil Davis. The were flashes of dominance last year. This year, he becomes dominant.

Last edited:
Offense: I truly believe Cam Taylor may be the most dynamic defensive player/athlete we have at the moment. I can see him playing a decent amount of corner in sub-packages, shifting DiCap down to the nickel on obvious passing downs.

Defense: He didnt have the year he wanted after his breakout campaign, but I'm expecting Ben Stille to have a significant impact next year, becoming one of the leaders of that Blackshirt defense.

Honarable Mention: Khalil Davis. The were flashes of dominance last year. This year, he becomes dominant.

Completely agree on Davis. It seems as if he's figured things out and with another year in the same system, I suspect he'll produce even better results in '19.

Wouldn't it be great to see 16 players all make the biggest jump to improve their game. I was silly and just picked one on offense and one on defense, but man! the possibilities if there is a 16-way tie for biggest jump...
I didn't pick anyone because I see so much potential in so many places that it seems impossible. What a wonderful dilemma!

I've learned my lesson regarding predictions from last year's season record thread.

Can't argue with anything that has been posted -- I do expect defense as a whole to show substantial growth at multiple positions for no other reason than having some continuity with the defensive staff & philosophy.

Yeah, that is another novel concept taken from the days when TO's staff had 10, 15 and more years together.

to me (as it looks with a lot of others) it starts with the offensive and defensive lines. We already saw a lot of progress on the OL during the season last year, and I thought we saw progress on the DL during the season as well.

- a lot of the OL play is dependent on them playing together and working together. I thought our second string looked pretty good when they played, but I suspect the issue was lack of snaps together last year and that as more and more people learn to do their jobs, the units and backups will look better and better (and get more time)

Second thing to me is S&C - I'm expecting big things from Duval/Ellis after another year in the system for so many kids. I'm of the opinion that we have some good athletes and talent, but that it's needed real development. You could see the lack of physicality on the lines (albeit with the improvement I mentioned), but it extended to other areas as well -- in particular to our LB's and Safeties who had trouble finding the right gaps in run support, but who had trouble stopping runners when they did.

So a few names and why I think they could take a jump:

1. Damion Daniels - he was often a force when he was in the games last year, but his conditioning meant he couldn't play that many snaps. His brother helps here, but if he can get snaps and his brother is in the mix, we should have a solid 50-75% of the snaps covered, and maybe more if Davis takes a step forward and can be used in situations better suited to his physical type

2. Ben Stille - only a couple of years into his weight gain/conversion. I thought he was solid, but I expect to see a jump in quickness and explosiveness (I've seen quite a few players take that kind of jump a couple of years into that kind of bulking up after they adjust) along with another year of technical development. I think he can be a real anchor to the line

3. Hixson, Miller, Raridon -- we have a need on the interior of the line, and these guys played well when they got a shot last year. Those are just the names that pop up to me, but guys like Forbes and other younger guys also have a shot to step forward

4. Maurice Washington - I liked a lot of what I saw of him, but last year he often wasn't physical and often wasn't decisive enough. I think a lot of it was that he wasn't physically as strong as he needs to be. Another 10 lbs of muscle or a bit more will hopefully set him up.

5. JoJo Domann - I think he can take a big step. You saw the flashes last year, but if he can stay healthy and get stronger and more consistent, he'll be a serious playmaker

Those are only a few names, but as others have said, we are going to hope to see entire units play together and improve their game. I'm very excited to see how they look this spring!

I was going to do offense and defense...but I'm expecting big improvements on the defensive side of the ball.

1st - I truly believe Cam Taylor may be the most dynamic defensive player/athlete we have at the moment. I can see him playing a decent amount of corner in sub-packages, shifting DiCap down to the nickel on obvious passing downs.

2nd - He didnt have the year he wanted after his breakout campaign, but I'm expecting Ben Stille to have a significant impact next year, becoming one of the leaders of that Blackshirt defense.

Good call on Cam Taylor.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back