• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Vincebus Eruptum by Blue Cheer - worst album ever

Based on the music I like, there are two bands who music folks would say I should love but I just can't over the hump with: Blue Cheer and the MC5. They're both seen as grandfathers of several musical genres that I really enjoy. I appreciate what both bands did with pushing the envelope and can enjoy listening to both in moderation, but neither of the bands ever really struck a chord with me.
I can see given the date on the album, that Blue Cheer may have been the innovator. I just couldn't get into the music and it upset my dog. I cannot say that I ever cared for Heavy Metal. That said I played several other circa 1968 songs from groups I like (such as The Byrds) and those upset her too. Anyway, other than The Who, Deep Purple and Hendrix songs I was familiar with came about 18 months to two year later. I suspect, though, that Blue Cheer may have picked up the style, too. But they were very early.

You mention the Dead... I need to try to pull up any concert albums... The Dead should be in my wheel house... I tend to like a large share of the genres they are associated with (folk, country rock, bluegrass, blues...) I always found their songs OK, but not really interesting... a few years ago, I had a rental car with Satellite Radio and listened the the Dead channel. and they had a lot of concerts and I liked those much better. I subsequently learned they were a great concert / jam band. From what I heard, I think so too. Need to check it out.
Yes one of the greatest jam bands...not so much studio at all. Let Jerry loose on stage and he would just lose himself, It was up to the others to keep up.
Check out Old and in the way if you like bluegrass Jerry, Rowan, Clements, Kahn and David Grisman. I think you'd like it.

As us old heads would say..When in doubt, twirl

You mention the Dead... I need to try to pull up any concert albums... The Dead should be in my wheel house... I tend to like a large share of the genres they are associated with (folk, country rock, bluegrass, blues...) I always found their songs OK, but not really interesting... a few years ago, I had a rental car with Satellite Radio and listened the the Dead channel. and they had a lot of concerts and I liked those much better. I subsequently learned they were a great concert / jam band. From what I heard, I think so too. Need to check it out.
They finally officially released the 5/8/77 show from Cornell last year. It's a show that gets a lot of mention in the "best Dead show" conversation. Although, I'd probably recommend the 1970 Harpur College show for an intro. It has an acoustic and electric set, good mix of songs, etc. I think it was released as either Dick's Picks volume 7 or 8.

They finally officially released the 5/8/77 show from Cornell last year. It's a show that gets a lot of mention in the "best Dead show" conversation. Although, I'd probably recommend the 1970 Harpur College show for an intro. It has an acoustic and electric set, good mix of songs, etc. I think it was released as either Dick's Picks volume 7 or 8.
good recommendation. I would go with DP- 36 - 9/21/71 Spectrum Philly. One of their crisper recordings.

Also cant go wrong. 7/8/78.....long list of songs that filtered into ...werewolves of London.

good recommendation. I would go with DP- 36 - 9/21/71 Spectrum Philly. One of their crisper recordings.

Also cant go wrong. 7/8/78.....long list of songs that filtered into ...werewolves of London.
:thumbsup:That Red Rocks show is awesome. The setlist is right up my alley.

I have the first 6 discs of Dick's Picks Grateful Dead on my PC and I find it hard to pick a fave. They are all very well done, well recorded, well performed. It's nice to click on one, and just let it play.

Yes one of the greatest jam bands...not so much studio at all. Let Jerry loose on stage and he would just lose himself, It was up to the others to keep up.

Check out Old and in the way if you like bluegrass Jerry, Rowan, Clements, Kahn and David Grisman. I think you'd like it.

As us old heads would say..When in doubt, twirl

I have the first 6 discs of Dick's Picks Grateful Dead on my PC and I find it hard to pick a fave. They are all very well done, well recorded, well performed. It's nice to click on one, and just let it play.
Thanks for the Dead recommendations; I'll have to try to find some of these and give them a listen.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back