• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Urban Meyer DONE

Agree 100%! You don't need to be a HOF coach to win lots of games at OSU. As a matter of fact IF any coach doesn't win a lot of games there they should be fired imo. What would someone like TO's record have been coaching all world talent at OSU for 25 years? Little Nicky is a heck of coach but without all world talent at Bama would he be celebrated as the second coming? Maybe yes and maybe no?

Bottom line OSU can afford to hire a less then renowned coach for a year and see how it plays out. The cupboard is well stocked for whoever is the next head honcho at OSU..........
There is a couple of things here. First of all you need to be a pretty dang good coach/recruiter to continue getting that talent in...….and then develop it while dealing with a bunch of prima dona's. Many coach's have been unable to do that at places like Texas, Notre Dame, USC, Miami and LSU

No one would have ever known Urban doesn't report beatings
Evidently either does his wife, the athletic director or the cops who were called there on a dozen occasions. Maybe there is a reason for that when her own parents and siblings call her a career liar.

There is a couple of things here. First of all you need to be a pretty dang good coach/recruiter to continue getting that talent in...….and then develop it while dealing with a bunch of prima dona's. Many coach's have been unable to do that at places like Texas, Notre Dame, USC, Miami and LSU
ND has had 12 losing seasons in 112 years? So many great coaches or was ND over run with star players? Probably some of both is needed. I understand your premise and yes a degree of coaching accuman is required to have winning programs even at places like Bama Texas... etc. What I'm suggesting is that GREAT coaching isn't required to have winning seasons when a school is able to pack the rafters with star talent. It's MUCH easier to be a winning coach when surrounded by GREAT talent. I will submit It's certainly easy to have losing seasons when you hire coaches like Weis and Willingham.

Probably the key is what Little Nicky recently said which was... "He's not a great coach but he's a GREAT recruiter". Lets remember when Little Nicky was faced with a real coaching challenge (Dolphins) he bailed like his hair was on fire. He would have had to coach somewhat equal talent (NFL) and quickly realized he wasn't going to be up to the challenge imo. Hence is hasty departure for Bama!

Bottom line it's easier to be a GREAT general when you have most of the big guns.....

Last edited:
Surprise surprise

I am sure the heath issues are part of it, but they sure did seem to be under control before say late July of this year.

Think about this for a moment, osu is now not paying him anything.

Here is what I think happened: Urb, you have two options: #1 accept the 3 game suspension and you can resign at the end of the season and we don't have to pay you anything. You can make up any lie you want as to why you want to retire and you can go sully some other program's reputation in a couple of years. You #2. We can fire you now with cause and you get no money.

Urb: I take option #2

Here is what I think happened: Urb, you have two options: #1 accept the 3 game suspension and you can resign at the end of the season and we don't have to pay you anything. You can make up any lie you want as to why you want to retire and you can go sully some other program's reputation in a couple of years. You #2. We can fire you now with cause and you get no money.

I meant option #1 LOL

My surprise is Sarcastic. When scUM was hired 7 years ago I said he wasn't in it for the long haul. Something would happen, some scandal, some health issue or both. Well both happened.

I do believe his arachnid cyst is a real thing. I also believe it is exacerbated by stress. The stress of coaching football is bad enough on him, and then you combine that with all the crap that went down in the summer and start of the season it drove his health issues over the edge.

I am not an Urban Meyer fan, and never have been. He makes my skin crawl and I think he is a win at all cost coach. Ironically he is such a good coach that he doesn't have to be win at all costs.

I think he will be back. He will be out for a year maybe 2 and start feeling better. He will get his medical stuff under control and show up at USC or Some other high profile job. He can't help it. I saw a sound bite when someone asked him what he will miss the most about coaching. He said the winning. Not the players and the relationships, the winning. He will be back.

Maybe there is a reason for that when her own parents and siblings call her a career liar.

Is that true that her siblings have said that? I knew about her mother, but from what little I could gather it sounded like her mom has a lot of issues.

In the era we live in I think that it's hard for people to understand that we still don't know very much about what happened. This really is a he said/she said situation. He comes across as a not very likable individual (to put it mildly), but that doesn't mean that he was actually physically abusing her. If her family says that she's making it up, that's troubling.

When I was in college I had an acquaintance that I admired who committed suicide. The police had picked him up and booked him on rape charges, and they leaned pretty hard on him trying to get him to confess to it. He played football and had a squeaky clean reputation, pretty much admired by all. That was what they went after, trying to get him to confess so that he wouldn't get the book thrown at him. He was so frightened and ashamed that he went out and shot himself. Afterward, the girl admitted that she had made it up because her father had seen hickies on her. She was 18 years old, still living at home, and she was too frightened to tell her father the truth, that she had been more than willing. The guy's family is still devastated nearly three decades later, and that's not the sort of thing that you ever put behind you. I've often wondered what ever happened to her. That would be quite a burden to carry for the rest of your life.

I think about that when stories like this one come out. Zach Smith might very well be a spouse abuser,... but he might not. Looking at his Twitter rampage, I am concerned that he's going to hurt himself. Imagine being in his situation without having done what you're accused of doing. I don't know how I'd respond, but I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Is that true that her siblings have said that? I knew about her mother, but from what little I could gather it sounded like her mom has a lot of issues.

In the era we live in I think that it's hard for people to understand that we still don't know very much about what happened. This really is a he said/she said situation. He comes across as a not very likable individual (to put it mildly), but that doesn't mean that he was actually physically abusing her. If her family says that she's making it up, that's troubling.

When I was in college I had an acquaintance that I admired who committed suicide. The police had picked him up and booked him on rape charges, and they leaned pretty hard on him trying to get him to confess to it. He played football and had a squeaky clean reputation, pretty much admired by all. That was what they went after, trying to get him to confess so that he wouldn't get the book thrown at him. He was so frightened and ashamed that he went out and shot himself. Afterward, the girl admitted that she had made it up because her father had seen hickies on her. She was 18 years old, still living at home, and she was too frightened to tell her father the truth, that she had been more than willing. The guy's family is still devastated nearly three decades later, and that's not the sort of thing that you ever put behind you. I've often wondered what ever happened to her. That would be quite a burden to carry for the rest of your life.

I think about that when stories like this one come out. Zach Smith might very well be a spouse abuser,... but he might not. Looking at his Twitter rampage, I am concerned that he's going to hurt himself. Imagine being in his situation without having done what you're accused of doing. I don't know how I'd respond, but I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
Personally I hold Zac Smith and his wife both responsible. She also admitted to haven slapped him. Does that make him right? Absolutely not. But there are some crazy winches out there that can know how to push buttons. Probably something that should have been handled in marriage counseling and with law enforcement instead of involving internet reporters looking to make a name for themselves.

Personally I hold Zac Smith and his wife both responsible. She also admitted to haven slapped him. Does that make him right? Absolutely not. But there are some crazy winches out there that can know how to push buttons. Probably something that should have been handled in marriage counseling and with law enforcement instead of involving internet reporters looking to make a name for themselves.

I agree, but I'm still curious to know if her siblings also made accusations against her?

One of the things that comes out in spousal abuse cases is that in a majority of the situations where the police are called, both parties did something physical to the other. I can't remember, but are you the guy who was/is in LE? If the woman slaps the guy or does something similar, he often responds by doing something worse, and that's likely when the police get involved. I suspected that that was part of what was going on here because otherwise a lot of the dots didn't connect.

I agree, but I'm still curious to know if her siblings also made accusations against her?

One of the things that comes out in spousal abuse cases is that in a majority of the situations where the police are called, both parties did something physical to the other. I can't remember, but are you the guy who was/is in LE? If the woman slaps the guy or does something similar, he often responds by doing something worse, and that's likely when the police get involved. I suspected that that was part of what was going on here because otherwise a lot of the dots didn't connect.
No not in LE. Was with a fire department/paramedic for about 20 years. Saw enough things to know the guy is usually carted away. Some times it looked like he had been a real chit hole to her. Sometimes it seemed like it was a blessing for him to get carted away by the police.

As for the dots not connecting......that is why the police were never really to do anything for all the responses they made to calls there. Just bad for all now as they are both financially ruined over it and still haven't solved the problem other than being separated, publicly smeared, and unable to find employment. Should have committed to the counseling that was suggested to them.

I really don’t know what makes tOSU think Day is going to be a worthy successor as HC. They thought Luke Fickel was going to be great too, when he took over after Tressel for that one interim year and he was completely overwhelmed. Here’s hoping Day is in the same mold as he was.

I really don’t know what makes tOSU think Day is going to be a worthy successor as HC. They thought Luke Fickel was going to be great too, when he took over after Tressel for that one interim year and he was completely overwhelmed. Here’s hoping Day is in the same mold as he was.

Fickel was a true interim though. He was never going to be given the job. I agree that Day seems far from a lock to keep things going.
Lost in Urban’s off the field issues is his unbelievable record at OSU - 82-9 overall, 54-4 in conference with 3 conference champions and a national championship. That’s a very hard act to follow.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back