• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Thoughts on AAF and why will it work or not.

Huskerthom

All Big 10
10 Year Member
I have watched a significant amount of 4 games. Here is why I think it will work.
1. It is not made to compete with the NFL but to augment it. Almost like a minor league.
2. Except for one position the players seem to be pretty good. (Get to the 1 position in the why it will not. )
3. For die hard football fans. More football is always good.
4. They seem to have good support of the cable channels.

Why it will not
1. What I have seen so far the QB play is suspect.
2. The time of year they are playing could lead to real weather issues and low-no fan support.

Well that's my thoughts. What are yours?

I like the concept as well. Like you say, it's really meant to augment the NFL by giving the fringe NFL guys a way to keep playing long enough to see if there is a good fit in the league. For a lot of these guys there really isn't a way to stay in game shape in order to get to camps a year later if they end up on the wrong side of the numbers game in their first NFL camp. Go home and try again is tough when you don't have a team that gives you a chance to play.

From a "fun" standpoint, I wish they'd take more chances with the schemes. QB play is likely to be the weakest overall and if a guy has a spitting chance of being an NFL QB they are likely stashed on a roster somewhere. So don't bother trying to replicate the NFL completely, tweak the schemes and make it fun .. Problem is that if they are serving as an NFL feeder, they need things to be similar enough so that the rest of the roster (and maybe even a few QB's) have the chance to show what they can do in a system that equates to NFL style of play (i.e., no triple option).

I had every intention of watching some of the games because I have a hard time not watching any football game, but I honestly keep forgetting until I see a post about a game that's already happened. I guess part of that is the time of year. I don't really get too involved in sports outside of hockey this time of year until baseball starts, so maybe it's partially a conditioning thing. Having said that, it's really not fair for me to critique the league in a 'Will or Won't' make it fashion. I'll try to catch a game this week and see what I think. If I don't manage to make the time or remember to set the DVR, that's more than likely not a good sign.

Of all the alternatives tried I think this format has the best chance to succeed. They have to build awareness and of course fan base.

The NFL should do what they can to help AAF work because it will only benefit them in a number of ways.

I don’t think it will work simply because that is what the track records for these types of leagues would suggest.

I watched a little of the Orlando/San Antonio game (I think :) ) and it just didn’t grab me. I think a big part of it was that I just didn’t care about either team. They also seemed to have the camera on Spurrier more than the game itself during the times I was watching.

I had every intention of watching some of the games because I have a hard time not watching any football game, but I honestly keep forgetting until I see a post about a game that's already happened. I guess part of that is the time of year. I don't really get too involved in sports outside of hockey this time of year until baseball starts, so maybe it's partially a conditioning thing. Having said that, it's really not fair for me to critique the league in a 'Will or Won't' make it fashion. I'll try to catch a game this week and see what I think. If I don't manage to make the time or remember to set the DVR, that's more than likely not a good sign.
YouTube has been my friend on the replays. :)

I don’t think it will work simply because that is what the track records for these types of leagues would suggest.

I watched a little of the Orlando/San Antonio game (I think :) ) and it just didn’t grab me. I think a big part of it was that I just didn’t care about either team. They also seemed to have the camera on Spurrier more than the game itself during the times I was watching.

I'm so sick of the NFL scheme. Not even plural. Only one scheme: barely even attempt to run the football, just chuck it all over the yard.

I think the XFL redux has the better chance of being successful, simply because NFL football is so candy-assed, that a league that appeals to what we watch FB for, hard hits, will have an audience. I don't pay the ticket price to watch guys duck out of bounds.

Different offenses are exciting. It's ok to play physical and run the ball. Passing is OK, too. Just not 40+ times a game.

I wouldn't watch a Miami Dolphins versus Buffalo Bills game ... why would I watch the AAF?

There was a fair bit of running. Martz reached a point in his game over the weekend where he just ran it down the stretch (including a 3rd and goal draw from 8 yards out or something). Spurrier's team ran effectively at the end of the game to secure the win.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back