• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

This thread might not be for everyone.

https://dailyiowan.com/2018/08/29/iowa-footballs-future-schedules-released/ I doubt this is the link he was referring to but...…..It looks like they do have them 4 straight years starting in 22. They haven't announced any years after that so I guess its possible it could be even more than 4. During those same 4 years our permanent cross over is Michigan.

You should check out their 24 schedule. Their crossover games are against Rutgers, Maryland and Indiana. They also have Wisconsin and Nebraska at home. Can you get any easier of a schedule? That same year we have to play at Michigan, at Penn State, at Wisconsin, at Iowa and at Northwestern. They do give us a break and let us have Ohio State at home.
Yea I see that...... unfortunately for the Ditch Chickens they play us EVERY year so they will have 1 loss to end their miserable season!

https://dailyiowan.com/2018/08/29/iowa-footballs-future-schedules-released/ I doubt this is the link he was referring to but...…..It looks like they do have them 4 straight years starting in 22. They haven't announced any years after that so I guess its possible it could be even more than 4. During those same 4 years our permanent cross over is Michigan.

You should check out their 24 schedule. Their crossover games are against Rutgers, Maryland and Indiana. They also have Wisconsin and Nebraska at home. Can you get any easier of a schedule? That same year we have to play at Michigan, at Penn State, at Wisconsin, at Iowa and at Northwestern. They do give us a break and let us have Ohio State at home.

One team plays Penn St., Michigan, and Ohio St. as crossovers while another gets Indiana, Rutgers, and Maryland? That's ridiculous and blatantly unfair.

B1G needs to do something about their scheduling of crossovers. This is one of the things I like least about the B1G. It is not that hard to figure out balanced and equitable crossover scheduling. Over a seven-year cycle, each team in one division should play each team in the other division three times. Or if you want to have one permanent crossover opponent, then play each of the other six teams once every three years.

At least Iowa is playing two of the "big four" from the East next year. Could be my imagination, but it seems like they usually get a heavy dose of Rutgers / Maryland / Indiana on crossovers.

Until something changes with the haves (Ohio St., Penn St., Michigan, Michigan St.) and have-nots (Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers) in the East, no West team should have to play three of the "haves" in the same season. Not a fan of "death schedules", especially when it is unbalanced.

I'm not so sure that Indiana will be a "have-not" for much longer, and Maryland has potential to be at least a consistent bowl team. Other than Rutgers, I don't know if there will be a gimme game left in the East. Fwiw, all of a sudden the West is loaded with dangerous but not awesome bowl-eligible teams. We'll find out more after the bowls are over, but I suspect that the B1G is a lot better this year than they've been given credit, and I think that they match up well with the SEC from top to bottom. If the B1G West can hang onto their head coaches, I think that the B1G will be the dominant conference in college football sometime soon, though it may take Saban's retirement for the media to notice.

I'm not so sure that Indiana will be a "have-not" for much longer, and Maryland has potential to be at least a consistent bowl team. Other than Rutgers, I don't know if there will be a gimme game left in the East. Fwiw, all of a sudden the West is loaded with dangerous but not awesome bowl-eligible teams. We'll find out more after the bowls are over, but I suspect that the B1G is a lot better this year than they've been given credit, and I think that they match up well with the SEC from top to bottom. If the B1G West can hang onto their head coaches, I think that the B1G will be the dominant conference in college football sometime soon, though it may take Saban's retirement for the media to notice.

You may be right, and things do change in college football. That said, I think we are a long way off from Maryland or Indiana ever winning more than 7 or 8 games (in a good season) or seriously challenging for the East division title.

You may be right, and things do change in college football. That said, I think we are a long way off from Maryland or Indiana ever winning more than 7 or 8 games (in a good season) or seriously challenging for the East division title.

Yeah, I agree that they won't be challenging for the division title anytime soon, but I do think that Indiana is about to start knocking off a Michigan or Ohio State on a more regular basis. They played them both well this year, and they seem to do it consistently, but they also look like they have a lot more talent and speed than in the past. If they had more depth, it's hard to say what their record would be. It looks like a good nucleus to build around. I think that Maryland's ceiling is between 7 and 9 wins per year, depending on their crossover games.

Or for Bama to run out of Escalades.. :Lol:

It just seems weird that they would give us Penn State, Michigan and Ohio State with two of them on the road the same year they make us play Wisconsin, Iowa and our latest west champ Northwestern...….all on the road. That represents our toughest 6 games on our schedule and we are on the road for 5 of them.

It just seems weird that they would give us Penn State, Michigan and Ohio State with two of them on the road the same year they make us play Wisconsin, Iowa and our latest west champ Northwestern...….all on the road. That represents our toughest 6 games on our schedule and we are on the road for 5 of them.
I don't believe that's exactly an accident of random scheduling.....

Some things to keep in mind as it relates to four of Nebraska's West division opponents.

Northwestern loses Thorson (QB) and Nagal (WR) along with 3 others on offense but Clemson transfer 5-star QB Hunter Johnson stepping in will create some excitement. They also lose 5 guys on defense. Northwestern goes to Wisconsin and then Nebraska in back-to-back weeks. Nebraska plays Ohio St the week before.

Minnesota is young on both sides of the ball and blowing Wisconsin's doors off gave them a big boost in confidence. The play Illinois at home the week before Nebraska shows up. This will be Nebraska's 7th straight game to start the season.

Purdue has Jeff Brohm and Rondale Moore returning in 2019 which is big. Elijah Sindelar threw for 2,100 yards in 2017 but struggled with a knee early in 2018. I would put him on a similar level as David Blough. The top 2 RBs are gone but 10 of 11 return on defense. They too get Illinois at home the week before Nebraska shows up in W. Lafayette.

Wisconsin’s “F-Bomb” Paul Chryst lost his team in 2018. Hornibrook (QB) returns for his senior season but in spite of his W/L record, he seems to be stagnating and his confidence is shaken. 3 of 4 LBs are gone which is important to watch on this defense. Nebraska gets a BYE week to watch Wisconsin play Iowa before the cheese heads arrive in Lincoln the following weekend.

It makes it all the more impressive when we run the gauntlet and win them all.

It makes it all the more impressive when we run the gauntlet and win them all.

It absolutely does. My only problem with it is understanding that playing a tough schedule week in and week out can wear on the body. Especially when so many are on the road. And when you add to that so many fan want to make conference championships the standard for getting into the playoffs without recognizing the schedules it seems much more apparent that other teams have an easier path to a championship game then we do that year. More people are wanting to go to a system that takes impressing the committee with tough schedules to a system that rewards being undefeated while playing weak schedules.

Last edited:

Some things to keep in mind as it relates to four of Nebraska's West division opponents.

Northwestern loses Thorson (QB) and Nagal (WR) along with 3 others on offense but Clemson transfer 5-star QB Hunter Johnson stepping in will create some excitement. They also lose 5 guys on defense. Northwestern goes to Wisconsin and then Nebraska in back-to-back weeks. Nebraska plays Ohio St the week before.

Minnesota is young on both sides of the ball and blowing Wisconsin's doors off gave them a big boost in confidence. The play Illinois at home the week before Nebraska shows up. This will be Nebraska's 7th straight game to start the season.

Purdue has Jeff Brohm and Rondale Moore returning in 2019 which is big. Elijah Sindelar threw for 2,100 yards in 2017 but struggled with a knee early in 2018. I would put him on a similar level as David Blough. The top 2 RBs are gone but 10 of 11 return on defense. They too get Illinois at home the week before Nebraska shows up in W. Lafayette.

Wisconsin’s “F-Bomb” Paul Chryst lost his team in 2018. Hornibrook (QB) returns for his senior season but in spite of his W/L record, he seems to be stagnating and his confidence is shaken. 3 of 4 LBs are gone which is important to watch on this defense. Nebraska gets a BYE week to watch Wisconsin play Iowa before the cheese heads arrive in Lincoln the following weekend.
Question about Hornibrook. Isn’t he boarding on being a “chronic concussion” situation. My recollection is he had a concussion, was out, came back and had another. So could he be a Blake Lawrence situation where if he has another he hangs up the cletes? They were a different team with him out. The other big difference toward the EOS was their nose guard going out and being replaced by a true freshman (who should have been a Husker - thanks Riley!)

It absolutely does. My only problem with it is understanding that playing a tough schedule week in and week out can wear on the body. Especially when so many are on the road. And when you add to that so many fan want to make conference championships the standard for getting into the playoffs without recognizing the schedules it seems much more apparent that other teams have an easier path to a championship game then we do that year. More people are wanting to go to a system that takes impressing the committee with tough schedules to a system that rewards being undefeated while playing weak schedules.
I still wonder how things in 94 would have played out had Colorado not played such a difficult schedule before playing the Huskers. Now, we were awfully dominant in that game, but Colorado also looked listless.

Question about Hornibrook. Isn’t he boarding on being a “chronic concussion” situation. My recollection is he had a concussion, was out, came back and had another. So could he be a Blake Lawrence situation where if he has another he hangs up the cletes? They were a different team with him out. The other big difference toward the EOS was their nose guard going out and being replaced by a true freshman (who should have been a Husker - thanks Riley!)

Yep, Hornibrook had a couple of concussions within a short period of time. Not good. Wiscy also had some other injuries this year which exposed some depth issues. Nebraska played a nearly injury free (and motivated Wiscy team) and by the time the EOS rolled around, they were the walking wounded and unfocused when Minnesota pounded them.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back