• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Spring Practice (3/6/19)

Maybe it's just me, but Ryan Held did not leave me feeling all that good about the running back situation after yesterday's meet-and-greet.

Leaving Mo Washington out of the equation, Held was not exactly effusive in his praise for what is in the current running back room. The guy he singled out the most was Wandale, and he's not a full-time running back. It seem like they are trying to make do until Johnson, Mills and Thompkins show up, which is troubling since the last I heard was that Mills is not academically eligible yet and Thompkins is recovering from a second knee injury.

I am leaving open the possibility that I am over reacting. Or maybe too much coffee.

In Coach Held's defense, what could he say? He can't say much about Mo Washington, how his situation will play out is very much unknown. There are a lot of new people, freshmen. Anything he would say about them is pure speculation at this point. I'm a little curious about Miles Jones. When he was recruited, I visualized a Johnny Rogers type of player. Last season I don't recall hearing his name mentioned once. Outside of Mo Washington, the RB room is full of unrealized talent.

didn't expect the kind of year Devine Ozigbo had last fall... so I've got reason for faith that this staff will get the most from whoever emerges from the RB pack, no matter how unproven & sparse things may currently look roster wise. :cool:

Last edited:
Bald guys hate mullets, just say'n.:cool:

I think there is such a thing as a bald mullet. Terry Bradshaw has one and I call it "The Silver Bullet". :Biggrin:

62547a2389c58dc9eaad4e0b5d98484f.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me, but Ryan Held did not leave me feeling all that good about the running back situation after yesterday's meet-and-greet.

Leaving Mo Washington out of the equation, Held was not exactly effusive in his praise for what is in the current running back room. The guy he singled out the most was Wandale, and he's not a full-time running back. It seem like they are trying to make do until Johnson, Mills and Thompkins show up, which is troubling since the last I heard was that Mills is not academically eligible yet and Thompkins is recovering from a second knee injury.

I am leaving open the possibility that I am over reacting. Or maybe too much coffee.

I agree with your concern about RB this spring, especially given Washington's situation. I do also believe if there is any position where a player can come into this offense and be successful as a true freshman, it is RB. They don't have to put on a ton of weight to be successful in running or blocking like previous offenses we've had. Speed and vision kill in this offense and the guys we have coming in have that, not to mention Mills experience. He'll be on campus or they wouldn't have taken his LOI (just saw RR mentioned that). They would have waited it out and he could have signed a LOI later.

From the LJS article link...
The way Nebraska’s offensive coaches tell it, freshman quarterback Luke McCaffrey has spent a lot of time in the football facilities watching tape and learning the offense in the two months between arriving on campus and the beginning of spring ball this week.

Like, a lot of time.

“I told him, ‘Now, if you’re up here this much next year I’m going to figure maybe you have mental issues or something and you’re really not getting it,’” quarterbacks coach Mario Verduzco said with a smile on Tuesday. “He’s done a lot of work to get that underneath his belly right now so he knows he’s not lost at practice.”

Verduzco and head coach Scott Frost both indicated McCaffrey's legwork paid off during NU’s first official workout on Monday morning.

“Luke McCaffrey really surprised me (on Monday),” Frost said. “I think he had as good of a first day as you can have, and that’s probably a credit to how hard he worked when he came in to know what he was doing. You’re never going to be perfect when you’re going through your first few practices, and we try to tell our guys that, but I was impressed by him.”

Yep, I think Hickman was wearing 87 in that vid.

All good stuff, though. Like to see some P-R-O-D-U-C-T-I-O-N from the tight ends this year, it would only make everyone around them better.
Yeah, Hickman is #87. I think you are going to see that production this year.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back