• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Spring. Game. Primer.

It's threads like this that make me so appreciative of HuskerMax. Thanks *** for the breakdowns.

Whether or not Vedral gets a waiver, it sounds like his presence in practice is a huge benefit. I have no idea what his ceiling is compared to the rest of the QB group, but being able to run the offense the way Frost wants it run, and practicing at the speed that it needs to be will only help the rest of the group. They now have that rabbit on the track for everyone else to chase.

I don't want to go too much into the weeds on it, because even in the 90s there were dudes known for destroying folding chairs and what not before games. But I do think when you look at things in their totality the common theme is there wasn't a ton of control at times. Our staff certainly didn't encourage that, but if you have something as nice as we do, it would probably benefit us to say "that can't happen again" and move on. It's funny, I was all fired up because Iowa players put on instagram butting their heads against the wall in our visitors locker area before the game and leaving black scuff marks, and then I found out we were actually putting holes in our own wall. So made me look a bit foolish but that's ok.
Letting Nate Gerry be a Team Captain certainly tells me what ‘leadership’ meant. He maybe could have been initially a TC, but after his academic standing and how little he took it seriously, Riley should have pulled the plug on that. Tells you everything you need to know, right?

Having Vedral is one of the best things as it allows Frost to see how the rest of the Offense SHOULD look, when it’s run properly. So for critiquing how everyone else is playing, speed, etc...it has to be a huge benefit teamwide. Even for the Defense, having to play against the Vedral led offense would be more challenging. I’m so glad he came back with Frost to Nebraska. Who knows...maybe he’ll be the Starter next year with so much experience. You’d have to think whoever QBs the team the most this year has a great chance to be a 4 year starter though

This is me after readat write-up.
giphy.gif
It's good you're fired up, but make sure that you fix that hole yourself. Really hope you didn't miss that part of the write up.

Same BTN channel, Penn St spring game will start 2:00CDT. I hope less than 3 hours (11:00A-2:00P). If longer than 3 hours, then I will almost guaranteed cut off on Huskers telecast spring game.

Either way, be sure to tune in BTN2go.

Last edited:
@ShortSideOption - thank you for the great write up. Greatly appreciate it.

I am probably going to take closer to the six in the six to nine wins; and I hope we can get to six. I am more concerned after reading your write up remembering you were skeptical going into last year, as was the national media, and you all turned out to be correct.

I guess I see three takeaways:
  1. QB has me more concerned after reading; I realize this is early; but I am reading this as we've got a long way to go with who we have eligible. Further, depth could be (? is) a very real issue. I think there is zero chance that Vedral gets a waiver. It is one thing to say "coaching changed" but another to ask for that waiver when you followed old coach. If the NCAA allows this, they might as well remove the sit out one year rule. Makes me hope for Joe Burrow; and I am skeptical of that as a solution.
  2. Sounds like we will be OK up the middle on Defense but weak on the perimeter. Real issues at Outside LB and corner.
  3. Culture. Wow, did we ever slouch to Gomorrah in our program. Makes me also think that I was grossly unfair in my opinions about Pelini. While his exit talk to the players was horrible beyond belief and and there were plenty of other issues in the program; the Pelini to Riley shift made the situation vastly worse IMO. I think a lot of us boomers had our negative experiences with nice guys like Riley who were good PR but ultimately failed and were bad leaders; and I held out hope (over experience) that Riley would be effective. But it sounds like the AD micro management issues were part and parcel of the situation (with both Pelini & Riley); and they were clearly much of the (whole?) reason Riley got hired in the first place. All I can say is I am glad we got Frost here in 2018 and not 2015.
As is said, Rome wasn't built in a day. We need to see a lot of progress this season and it may be more in how we play than wins. Just looking at Iowa with three players in N2FL's draft top 100, watching the 1999 B-12 CCG and how our corners played; the poor recruiting judgments, etc.

What about t Ferguson?
The staff keeps bringing him up as a guy standing out and was maybe the starter at OL

Whether or not Vedral gets a waiver, it sounds like his presence in practice is a huge benefit. I have no idea what his ceiling is compared to the rest of the QB group, but being able to run the offense the way Frost wants it run, and practicing at the speed that it needs to be will only help the rest of the group. They now have that rabbit on the track for everyone else to chase.
That was one of the things that encouraged me and discouraged me after leaving a practice. I was encouraged that a kid not too many people recruited from Wahoo, Nebraska could look so good not only at UCF, but among many 4 stars we have on our team. It truly is all about the right fit for a quarterback in my opinion. I was discouraged that I couldn't tell if he looked that good because of his knowledge of the system or due to his playing ability. I'm sure it's somewhere in between. The general thing I was excited about tho is that Noah Vedral as a redshirt freshman looked every bit the part four star Adrian Martinez did. I'm sure ones ceiling may be higher than the other, but there's some kids around Nebraska that can help us if they are looking like Vedral one year in.

Letting Nate Gerry be a Team Captain certainly tells me what ‘leadership’ meant. He maybe could have been initially a TC, but after his academic standing and how little he took it seriously, Riley should have pulled the plug on that. Tells you everything you need to know, right?
That's one of the things that always bothered me. If Riley and the staff were going to be here for the long haul, they needed to sit him until he started going to class. If you are bringing in recruiting classes and guys are being elected captain that are getting suspensions for academic reasons then missing bowl games due to it, it's not a good look. Frost will have one or two that we say "this just isn't working out" for reasons like them not fitting the culture or a "bad egg" if you will.

That was one of the things that encouraged me and discouraged me after leaving a practice. I was encouraged that a kid not too many people recruited from Wahoo, Nebraska could look so good not only at UCF, but among many 4 stars we have on our team. It truly is all about the right fit for a quarterback in my opinion. I was discouraged that I couldn't tell if he looked that good because of his knowledge of the system or due to his playing ability. I'm sure it's somewhere in between. The general thing I was excited about tho is that Noah Vedral as a redshirt freshman looked every bit the part four star Adrian Martinez did. I'm sure ones ceiling may be higher than the other, but there's some kids around Nebraska that can help us if they are looking like Vedral one year in.

NIce writeup and thanks for bringing it!

I love that the coaches are going to give Noah the same number of plays as the other qb's in the spring game, and I'm excited to see what he can do - and whether he continues to look further ahead of the others.

*** - do you have an opinion on the value of bringing in a grad transfer for a year or two of eligibility to add to the qb mix? Of course, there's been lots of chatter - about Joe Burrow in particular. I'd be interested in your perspective about how that impacts the drive and development of the other 4.

Last edited:
Last paragraph in your Husker Power section. Sorry, would have quoted and edited all the rest out but typing from my phone.
Well... with Mark Phillipp one of the first things he said to me was "we aren't going to do anything revolutionary, we are just going to work our tails off." (different words of course). To me that was a bit of an eye-opener as there is new stuff coming out almost yearly now that has been proven to help. When they got here they figured out we weren't lifting off the ground so MPs statement kind of went out the window because they had to teach that new stuff. But I was skeptical from the beginning, then we had to teach new lifting and the program wasn't even his and they only got 3 years so I just kind of let it go.

With our new strength staff, i'm completely on board with HuskerPower, but there's some new stuff that has came out that is really good stuff that is the foundation of the Stanford weight program and other high caliber programs. The good news is Duval is going to get us moving in the right direction pretty quickly, we will have some success early. I guess i'll speak to what is kind of giving me "pause" right now that has been stated publicly, we can talk by DM about some of the science stuff if you want... they talk about "putting on 20+ pounds of lean muscle in 7 weeks"... well go google how much muscle a guy can put on and 1.5 pounds per week is the max for an olympic level athlete. Further, we have guys saying they are squatting 700 pounds now, our strength coach quotes that Khalil Mack squats 950 pounds and "that's where we need to be to be a championship football team again." Well, take a look at this link:
http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=6180

So unless we broke all of those records while Dobson or MP was here, our strongest squatter ever in the history of our program that was doing HuskerPower is 200 pounds off from what Khalil Mack could do.

More than anything it just annoys me a bit. I want to just say "we are all on board with Frost and his staff, don't lie to try and make it look better. We are all behind you." Then I hear things that are basically impossible being spouted off and I grow frustrated. Probably more of a "me" problem though.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back