• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Running back offers

Status
Not open for further replies.
The daggers are really out for Davis on this recruiting board...that's fine, several of you don't like him and don't think he can recruit so you want him replaced. I don't agree with the constant harrassment of assistants and think the HC is the guy I trust in making such decisions, but I don't have an issue with those who like constant turnover on the staff. And let's face it...that is what you guys are after, even if you don't realize it. I'll guarantee that Cav is next on your list...you've (the same cats) already been after him, even knowing the situation Pelini left him in. The other thing that will soon be happening is that your new "stars" will be out landing better positions for more money, because they've gotten good recruiting results. Some with very little that can be said for their on-the-field results yet. I don't look forward to the constant turnover, but that isn't what bothers me about the constant snipping at the heels on assistants.

What does bother me, is when folks start lying about, or misrepresenting, the facts. Here's an example...the constant harping that Davis didn't recruit Ozigbo, instead Charlton Warren did. Well, it is true that CW saw Ozigbo while recruiting and passed his name off to Davis, but Davis did the recruiting and landed him.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/incomi...cle_70670e3d-0379-5756-a6cc-17c53dcd4fb0.html

But former NU defensive backs coach Charlton Warren remembered Ozigbo from the recruiting trail. He gave the name to new NU running backs coach Reggie Davis, who liked Ozigbo’s tape.

And so, one month before signing day, Ozigbo was courted by the Huskers. He did some quick research on the school and the new staff. He laid out the choice between the two schools to his mom, Taiye, and dad, Dave.

“My was mom was getting tired of the process and all these people calling, but my dad had a better grasp that Nebraska was a way better place academically and football-wise,” Ozigbo said. “He told me: ‘If you feel comfortable with the coaches, you should make the switch.’

He expects Davis to shoot him straight with feedback. He has thus far, Ozigbo said. The two talk a few times per week, he said, by text or over the phone. Ozigbo arrives in early June, starting classes two days after he graduates from Sachse.

There's also a video with Severe and new recruit Ozigbo, in it he never says Charlton Warren's name once, but he does talk about Davis.

I was pretty sure the CW story was crap, but didn't think it worth the time to check it out...until now. It also makes me wonder what other falsehoods or misrepresentations are being made by some. I guess in their view, one coach saying "hey, I saw a running back in Texas we might have a shot at...Reggie, why don't you check him out" means that CW was actually the recruiter? Never mind that Reggie did the work to contact Ziggy, recruit him, and get him to break his commitment to ISU. I guess since we don't like him, we can just spin the story so Davis wasn't involved at all...LOL.

Last edited:

The daggers are really out for Davis on this recruiting board...that's fine, several of you don't like him and don't think he can recruit so you want him replaced. I don't agree with the constant harrassment of assistants and think the HC is the guy I trust in making such decisions, but I don't have an issue with those who like constant turnover on the staff. And let's face it...that is what you guys are after, even if you don't realize it. I'll guarantee that Cav is next on your list...you've (the same cats) already been after him, even knowing the situation Pelini left him in. The other thing that will soon be happening is that your new "stars" will be out landing better positions for more money, because they've gotten good recruiting results. Some with very little that can be said for their on-the-field results yet. I don't look forward to the constant turnover, but that isn't what bothers me about the constant snipping at the heels on assistants.

What does bother me, is when folks start lying about, or misrepresenting, the facts. Here's an example...the constant harping that Davis didn't recruit Ozigbo, instead Charlton Warren did. Well, it is true that CW saw Ozigbo while recruiting and passed his name off to Davis, but Davis did the recruiting and landed him.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/incomi...cle_70670e3d-0379-5756-a6cc-17c53dcd4fb0.html

There's also a video with Severe and new recruit Ozigbo, in it he never says Charlton Warren's name once, but he does talk about Davis.

I was pretty sure the CW story was crap, but didn't think it worth the time to check it out...until now. It also makes me wonder what other falsehoods or misrepresentations are being made by some. I guess in their view, one coach saying "hey, I saw a running back in Texas we might have a shot at...Reggie, why don't you check him out" means that CW was actually the recruiter? Never mind that Reggie did the work to contact Ziggy, recruit him, and get him to break his commitment to ISU. I guess since we don't like him, we can just spin the story so Davis wasn't involved at all...LOL.

I know for one, I don't have enough info to make a call on this one either. There is a lot more going on behind the scenes in recruiting than we ever know. I'll be in the "let Riley make the call" camp on assistant coaches as I don't see how there is enough actual info for me to make an informed decision.

But if we don't get a RB ever then that is obviously an issue.

One irony to note is that our ace DB recruiter took one kid last year who didn't get qualified and our RB coach took one kid last year who struggled to qualify (but did) and Davis only gets credit for a "recruiting gift". (obviously, the DB recruiting is going fine this year though, but if you were to look solely at last years class there is some irony.)

I know for one, I don't have enough info to make a call on this one either. There is a lot more going on behind the scenes in recruiting than we ever know. I'll be in the "let Riley make the call" camp on assistant coaches as I don't see how there is enough actual info for me to make an informed decision.

But if we don't get a RB ever then that is obviously an issue.

One irony to note is that our ace DB recruiter took one kid last year who didn't get qualified and our RB coach took one kid last year who struggled to qualify (but did) and Davis only gets credit for a "recruiting gift". (obviously, the DB recruiting is going fine this year though, but if you were to look solely at last years class there is some irony.)

How long did D. Williams have to recruit DBs last year?

How long did Davis have to recruit a RB?

1. If you have a constant coaching staff for multiple years, then your assistants are either not improving and no one is offering them a promotion, or suck and the HC won't fire them. I will take a coaching staff that replaces dead weight and has their coaches being poached for promotions at other schools over one that is full of average coaches that are not appealing to other schools.

2. Recruiting is part of being a college coach. If you can't do it, then you will have an uphill battle to keep your job, especially coaching a premium position at a major university.

3. If Jaylin Bradley didn't live in Nebraska we would have been scrambling to land any running back last year, let alone an above average one.

4. At no point have I read a comment from anyone saying they don't like Davis. The common theme is he can't recruit, and there are equally good coaches out there than would be an improvement at recruiting that could be had.

They all get until NSD. And reading what Blades has to say about us and his recruiting experience isn't anything we should be smiling about. Besides, maybe Brian Stewart was the recruiter.

1. If you have a constant coaching staff for multiple years, then your assistants are either not improving and no one is offering them a promotion, or suck and the HC won't fire them. I will take a coaching staff that replaces dead weight and has their coaches being poached for promotions at other schools over one that is full of average coaches that are not appealing to other schools.

2. Recruiting is part of being a college coach. If you can't do it, then you will have an uphill battle to keep your job, especially coaching a premium position at a major university.

3. If Jaylin Bradley didn't live in Nebraska we would have been scrambling to land any running back last year, let alone an above average one.

4. At no point have I read a comment from anyone saying they don't like Davis. The common theme is he can't recruit, and there are equally good coaches out there than would be an improvement at recruiting that could be had.
You must've hated TO's staff, and Devaney's too.

Besides most of your argument is silly, it is the HC's job to ensure his assistants are topnotch...no dead weight.

Would TO have been scrambling if Ahman Green wasn't from NE? Calvin Jones? Damon Benning? Clinton Childs? Leotis Flowers and others?

Name the equally good RB coaches that can recruit better that we should go after.

Last edited:

I don't really know. Those details aren't my thing to try to keep track of. :Biggrin:

This staff sells receiving excellent coaching at the University of Nebraska a school with a rich history and tradition and a place you can compete for championships in front of the best fans in the nation! If a coach can't embrace that entire package which, with the only major obstacle being distance, then he should go to division II.

They all get until NSD. And reading what Blades has to say about us and his recruiting experience isn't anything we should be smiling about. Besides, maybe Brian Stewart was the recruiter.

Nebraska was completely out of the race until DW showed up (in December). Davis had all of last year. Williams could have easily grabbed three guys late last season. However, knowing his recruiting ability, was told to hold off.

Last edited:

Nebraska was completely out of the race until DW showed up (in December). Davis had all of last year. Williams could have easily grabbed three guys late last season. However, knowing his recruiting ability, was told to hold off.

Which sorta goes with my point, if you only look at one detail that we the fans can easily see, then you will likely misjudge the situation. I'll let coach Riley judge who he wants on staff.

And I'm pretty sure, I could find a quote from @Greatest Fan of All talking about what he thought of, and said about Blades in a thread awhile back.... but I'm pretty sure both he and I are banned from that one. ;)

Edit:
Oh yeah, it was a week banning so I could go find it, but not worth it. GFOA - you are playing both sides of the Blades card now. ;D

Last edited:

This does nothing but prove what everyone has said about Ozigbo, Warren found him. If Warren doesn't find him he doesn't end up at Nebraska. Davis then went on to snatch him away from the mighty, mighty Cyclones. There was day when you scoffed at out recruiting the likes of Iowa State, now you are giving Davis credit for beating out the Cyclones for Ozigbo and SAT U for Bradley, your hypocrisy knows no bounds. To top it off you have spent plenty of time telling us how slow Ozigbo is and how desperately we needed an upgrade at the RB position, that is until you needed him to defend Davis on the recruiting trail. I've never seen someone spend so much time contradicting himself. The only falsehoods and misrepresentations in your post are your own, Ozigbo was a Warren find as people have said.

The last thing Davis needs is you coming to his defense, it didn't work out so well for Read, Hughes and Banker. How can we be expected to trust Riley with his assistants if you are telling us they become scapegoats on his watch?

https://forum.huskermax.com/index.php?threads/beyond-the-bloodbath-comment.92916/page-7

"Hughes had a decent resume and with a group that wanted to play, I have no doubt he'd have been fine. He ended up a scapegoat for the gang of four traitors. Some of the recruitniks piled on too."

Parella comes in with a bunch of players from the former staff to work with, Stoltenberg, Dzuris, Freedom, Davis twins, Newell, Maurice, Natter and magically all of the alleged buy-in issues vanish. Pretty sure Kaz has cell phone numbers for all of these guys.

Why do posters like to pull out comments like this one, "Maybe you should directly be recruiting Pledger instead of the MR staff. You seem to be convinced that if you directly tell Pledger yourself what you are telling us then he would flip over to N."??

Anyways, I'll try and explain myself...

When I wrote, "Yeah, why would someone like TJ Pledger be interested in that?" at the end of post #67, I wasn't trying to name him specifically. It was more of a reference to the belief by some people that Riley won't be able to attract four or five star RB's to Nebraska because of his offense and/or past recruiting results.

I disagree with that. The comments about showing a RB recruit film to sell him on Nebraska's offense like Langsdorf did with QB's was more of a tactic I felt the next RB coach could use. I won't presume to guess what the heck Reggie Davis does when he recruits a kid. Knowing he isn't even the guy recruiting the kid who Nebraska identified as their #1 RB for the class of 2018 about a year and a half ago tells me about enough.

I dont think a school like Nebraska can afford to have a poor recruiter on staff. They simply can't afford it IMPO. They need combo guys like Donte, Keith, Parrella and Bray. Schools like LSU, Alabama, Texas, Georgia, USC, etc. can afford to have a guy not overly big at recruiting because their programs are smack dab in the middle of talent pools and are schools that sell themselves to a lot of kids. Reggie Davis is a very solid coach, but IMPO they can't afford such a glaring weakness on the recruiting end like Davis clearly represents. It's the main reason I thought Hank Hughes should be fired (and subsequently was), along with poor special teams play, its also the reason I thought Bruce Read should be gone. Davis has done a good job coaching the RB's, but Riley can find a guy that excels at both and IMPO he should look to do just that.

There is something to be said about having guys you trust, Davis can coach and he was obviously a guy Riley trusts. That said, he trusted Read, Banker and Hughes enough to bring them in. Every guy he has brought in to replace original staff members has been a big upgrade in the recruiting department, we'll see how long Riley is willing to live with a weak link on the recruiting trail. Think about the 2018 recruiting class with Banker, Hughes, Stewart vs Diaco, Parrella and D. Williams. I think there would've been an uptick with the ground work that had been laid, no way would it be were it is without the staff changes. Stewart wasn't a bad hire and wasn't fired, but much of the current buzz is being created by the guy who replaced him. What does our 2018 DB class look like with Stewart/Banker vs William/Booker? This is a crucial year for DBs, we are fortunate to have D. Williams on staff.

You must've hated TO's staff, and Devaney's too.

Besides most of your argument is silly, it is the HC's job to ensure his assistants are topnotch...no dead weight.

Would TO have been scrambling if Ahman Green wasn't from NE? Calvin Jones? Damon Benning? Clinton Childs? Leotis Flowers and others?

Name the equally good RB coaches that can recruit better that we should go after.

So your idea of a top notch assistant is one that was lucky to pull a RB recruit away from Iowa St., then got lucky that an in-state RB qualified academically and could accept his offer (edging out SD State), and then isn't the leader for a solid RB in year 3?

You also stated it's the HC's job "to ensure his assistants are topnotch... no dead weight" yet you take issue with posters who think Davis isn't cutting it and should be replaced?

And you call me silly? :Facepalm:

Last edited:

So your idea of a top notch assistant is one that was lucky to pull a RB recruit away from Iowa St., then got lucky that an in-state RB qualified academically and could accept his offer (edging out SD State), and then isn't the leader for a solid RB in year 3?

You also stated it's the HC's job "to ensure his assistants are topnotch... no dead weight" yet you take issue with posters who think Davis isn't cutting it and should be replaced?

And you call me silly? :Facepalm:

Where does Nebraska stand with Moses Bryant? Solid RB and a good fit for the current offense. I wonder if he is another academic risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back