• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Running back offers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pledger is probably basing his choice on what he has seen on TV in the past 5 years with how the RB position is utilized in the OU offense. Lincoln Riley has probably assured him that the OU RB utilization strategy won't change with him in charge.

He most definitely is not looking at the MR-RB historical analysis that you have produced; nor does he care. Your analysis, albeit thorough and in depth, does not effectively translate into his decision making when compared to what he has seen on TV with the OU offense the past 5 years.

Probably from his perspective there are too many unknowns in the RB utilization strategy at Nebraska because he has seen little of it, and is more convinced he will be more instrumental in OU's offense.

Then how did Danny Langsdorf convince Patrick O'Brien and Tristan Gebbia to choose Nebraska? Those guys couldn't have been too excited about the offense that Nebraska was running through Tommy Armstrong. They weren't good schematic fits for it and their skill set didn't really translate into the things Armstrong did and was asked to do. I know for a fact that DL and Riley showed those two (and Tanner Lee) clips from their offenses at Oregon State. He sold them on his vision of what he wanted this offense to morph into. A great recruiter can do that. The next RB coach will be able to do that.

Hopefully for Nebraska, they will be able to show the sort of things Tre Bryant does this year as what they can sell to the next classes.

Another thing that is so silly is when I see posters compare Riley's history of recruiting at OSU and try and use it as evidence of what he'll do at Nebraska. As if his first three classes here or the one he's putting together now don't completely blow that argument out of the water.

Let me just ask...is Chris Petersen getting the same recruits at Washington that he got at Boise State? Is James Franklin getting the same recruits at Penn State that he got at Vanderbilt? Is Jim McElwain getting the same recruits at Florida that he got at Colorado State? Is Gus Malzahn getting the same recruits at Auburn that he got at Arkansas State? Is Willie Taggart getting the same recruits at Oregon that he got at South Florida or Western Kentucky? Is Butch Jones getting the same recruits at Tennessee that he got at Cincinnati or Central Michigan? Is Kevin Sumlin getting the same recruits at Texas A&M that he got at Houston? Is Brian Kelly getting the same recruits at Notre Dame that he got at Cincinnati?

What don't people get?

Another thing that is so silly is when I see posters compare Riley's history of recruiting at OSU and try and use it as evidence of what he'll do at Nebraska. As if his first three classes here or the one he's putting together now don't completely blow that argument out of the water.

Let me just ask...is Chris Petersen getting the same recruits at Washington that he got at Boise State? Is James Franklin getting the same recruits at Penn State that he got at Vanderbilt? Is Jim McElwain getting the same recruits at Florida that he got at Colorado State? Is Gus Malzahn getting the same recruits at Auburn that he got at Arkansas State? Is Willie Taggart getting the same recruits at Oregon that he got at South Florida or Western Kentucky? Is Butch Jones getting the same recruits at Tennessee that he got at Cincinnati or Central Michigan? Is Kevin Sumlin getting the same recruits at Texas A&M that he got at Houston? Is Brian Kelly getting the same recruits at Notre Dame that he got at Cincinnati?

What don't people get?

They simply want to bitch about not winning all of our games and being in contention for the National title every year. MR is building it the right way and that way takes time unless you take unethical routes. We are heading the right way and doing it the right way. Oh and well said.

Then how did Danny Langsdorf convince Patrick O'Brien and Tristan Gebbia to choose Nebraska? Those guys couldn't have been too excited about the offense that Nebraska was running through Tommy Armstrong. They weren't good schematic fits for it and their skill set didn't really translate into the things Armstrong did and was asked to do. I know for a fact that DL and Riley showed those two (and Tanner Lee) clips from their offenses at Oregon State. He sold them on his vision of what he wanted this offense to morph into. A great recruiter can do that. The next RB coach will be able to do that.

Hopefully for Nebraska, they will be able to show the sort of things Tre Bryant does this year as what they can sell to the next classes.

I'm not interested in debating with you about how correct you are. That doesn't really matter. What matters is whether or not you can convince Pledger to flip over to N.

Maybe you should directly be recruiting Pledger instead of the MR staff. You seem to be convinced that if you directly tell Pledger yourself what you are telling us then he would flip over to N.

All the reasons you provide why Pledger should flip I'm sure are good and accurate and we enjoy reading them, but unless you can convince Pledger and others why they should be N then you're just pissin' in the wind.

If Pledger had a Law degree then he might take the time to appreciate your information and seriously reconsider, but he doesn't. He's a high school kid that only gives his attention to what other kids give their attention.

What's important is that you can communicate what you are telling us to him at his level and from his perspective. I'm sure MR, Inc have tried that and so far it has not worked.

I'm not interested in debating with you about how correct you are. That doesn't really matter. What matters is whether or not you can convince Pledger to flip over to N.

Maybe you should directly be recruiting Pledger instead of the MR staff. You seem to be convinced that if you directly tell Pledger yourself what you are telling us then he would flip over to N.

All the reasons you provide why Pledger should flip I'm sure are good and accurate and we enjoy reading them, but unless you can convince Pledger and others why they should be N then you're just pissin' in the wind.

If Pledger had a Law degree then he might take the time to appreciate your information and seriously reconsider, but he doesn't. He's a high school kid that only gives his attention to what other kids give their attention.

What's important is that you can communicate what you are telling us to him at his level and from his perspective. I'm sure MR, Inc have tried that and so far it has not worked.

Ease up man, no need to infer he thinks he knows more than the Husker staff. Guessing you aren't truly certain why Pledger would be leaning toward OU over Nebraska, unless you have read something that indicates as much. You offer comments in a previous post that suggest why he probably will not choose Nebraska, which is fine and may hold some merit, but N2FL is offering counter points as to why he might also be considering Nebraska.

Clearly, there are athletes who listen intently to the opinion of others, especially those who are influential - one reason why peer recruiting is effective when involving highly rated/recruited athletes. Pledger is being peer-recruited by committed athletes for both schools - combine that activity with ongoing efforts by Riley (and likely Langsdorf and perhaps Davis to some degree) and this may swing Nebraska's way. Also quite possible OU had too much of a head start in the recruitment of Pledger to make a difference.

No one is saying Pledger would definitely flip if he heard anything at all. That's a straw man. What they are saying is that simply comparing recruiting at NU and recruiting at OSU is a fools errand-one many are all too happy to undertake.

Chill my friend no need to go down this road. You are better than that

Why do posters like to pull out comments like this one, "Maybe you should directly be recruiting Pledger instead of the MR staff. You seem to be convinced that if you directly tell Pledger yourself what you are telling us then he would flip over to N."??

Anyways, I'll try and explain myself...

When I wrote, "Yeah, why would someone like TJ Pledger be interested in that?" at the end of post #67, I wasn't trying to name him specifically. It was more of a reference to the belief by some people that Riley won't be able to attract four or five star RB's to Nebraska because of his offense and/or past recruiting results.

I disagree with that. The comments about showing a RB recruit film to sell him on Nebraska's offense like Langsdorf did with QB's was more of a tactic I felt the next RB coach could use. I won't presume to guess what the heck Reggie Davis does when he recruits a kid. Knowing he isn't even the guy recruiting the kid who Nebraska identified as their #1 RB for the class of 2018 about a year and a half ago tells me about enough.

I dont think a school like Nebraska can afford to have a poor recruiter on staff. They simply can't afford it IMPO. They need combo guys like Donte, Keith, Parrella and Bray. Schools like LSU, Alabama, Texas, Georgia, USC, etc. can afford to have a guy not overly big at recruiting because their programs are smack dab in the middle of talent pools and are schools that sell themselves to a lot of kids. Reggie Davis is a very solid coach, but IMPO they can't afford such a glaring weakness on the recruiting end like Davis clearly represents. It's the main reason I thought Hank Hughes should be fired (and subsequently was), along with poor special teams play, its also the reason I thought Bruce Read should be gone. Davis has done a good job coaching the RB's, but Riley can find a guy that excels at both and IMPO he should look to do just that.

What don't people get?
Well, I don't know that his first recruiting class in Lincoln was necessarily superior, albeit probably better than he was getting at OSU. We certainly have seen improvement each cycle, so even though this will probably still be a small class it is on track to be a pretty good one.

Why do posters like to pull out comments like this one, "Maybe you should directly be recruiting Pledger instead of the MR staff. You seem to be convinced that if you directly tell Pledger yourself what you are telling us then he would flip over to N."??

Anyways, I'll try and explain myself...

When I wrote, "Yeah, why would someone like TJ Pledger be interested in that?" at the end of post #67, I wasn't trying to name him specifically. It was more of a reference to the belief by some people that Riley won't be able to attract four or five star RB's to Nebraska because of his offense and/or past recruiting results.

I disagree with that. The comments about showing a RB recruit film to sell him on Nebraska's offense like Langsdorf did with QB's was more of a tactic I felt the next RB coach could use. I won't presume to guess what the heck Reggie Davis does when he recruits a kid. Knowing he isn't even the guy recruiting the kid who Nebraska identified as their #1 RB for the class of 2018 about a year and a half ago tells me about enough.

I dont think a school like Nebraska can afford to have a poor recruiter on staff. They simply can't afford it IMPO. They need combo guys like Donte, Keith, Parrella and Bray. Schools like LSU, Alabama, Texas, Georgia, USC, etc. can afford to have a guy not overly big at recruiting because their programs are smack dab in the middle of talent pools and are schools that sell themselves to a lot of kids. Reggie Davis is a very solid coach, but IMPO they can't afford such a glaring weakness on the recruiting end like Davis clearly represents. It's the main reason I thought Hank Hughes should be fired (and subsequently was), along with poor special teams play, its also the reason I thought Bruce Read should be gone. Davis has done a good job coaching the RB's, but Riley can find a guy that excels at both and IMPO he should look to do just that.

I agree completely, which is why I think Davis eventually heads back to the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back