• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

QB Battle Update

If you had to predict right now, who will be our starting QB in the fall?

• Tanner Lee

Votes: 91 84.3%
  • Patrick O'Brien

Votes: 15 13.9%
  • Tristan Gebbia or Andrew Bunch

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
There you go critiquing me AGAIN! Do you enjoy giving people free rent inside your head?

If so, therein lies the problem.

:to: "They say that people who are critical of others were raised by critical parents. They usually have anger issues and low self-esteem. Normally the critic is being driven to criticize by a repressed-and-intolerable feeling that he’s “got” what he deplores in others (in this case, a snarky attitude). I think Mr. Shark could use some mentoring!"
I think we can leave family out of this.

There you go critiquing me AGAIN! Do you enjoy giving people free rent inside your head?

:to: "They say that people who are critical of others were raised by critical parents. They usually have anger issues and low self-esteem. Normally the critic is being driven to criticize by a repressed-and-intolerable feeling that he’s “got” what he deplores in others (in this case, a snarky attitude). I think Mr. Shark could use some mentoring!"
I think we can leave family out of this.

Were you expecting Tom Brady?

I am not a football player. I am just an old dude having fun at a football camp.

I don't understand why you are taking this so seriously and being so critical about it.

You are a strange person.

I catch a few passes for fun and you catch a few fish for fun. But you don't see me critiquing you about it. Should I?

Starve07_R1.jpg

9HillbillyHandfishin.jpg

article-2362587-1ACBAFCE000005DC-7_634x331.jpg

article-2362587-1ACBAFC9000005DC-819_634x352.jpg
It's summertime Santa! Anyone who can catch fish with their bare hands is a-ok in my book.

Ever since Frazier came along, I think a lot of Nebraska fans believe that it's ideal for a quarterback to come in and own the position for four years. It is if you have someone special like Frazier. Healthy programs don't let only two quarterbacks run with the starting job for 7 or 8 years, not unless they are all-conference caliber from their sophomore years on. Andrew Lucks and Lamar Jacksons start for their entire careers, not Taylor Martinezes and Tommy Armstrongs. I'm not saying they weren't talented or worthy of starting for a year or two, they just don't run the table for nearly a decade at any serious school.

If I'm POB and I lose the starting job to Lee for two years, I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to learn, get better, and fight like hell to win the job after he leaves. Why? Because that's my best route to the NFL. I'm going to get some of the best quarterback coaching around in an NFL type of offense, with NFL receivers all around me.
Taylor Martinez is arguably the most physically gifted athlete NU has had at the QB position. Had he progressed in a positive direction from his freshman to senior year, he could have gone down as one of the best ever. He really was T-Magic in the beginning. But there aren't a whole lot of Tommie Fraziers, Eric Crouches and so on out there. I would argue that TA is as physically gifted as almost any of them. He didn't regress, but he didn't progress throughout his career as much as he might have. It didn't help he played in an offense that was not meant for him the past 2 years. It also didn't help not having solid backups behind either one of those guys, which created not only a lack of depth, but a lack of competition as well.

As far as POB, I think it would speak pretty poorly of him if he transferred if Tanner Lee were to win the starting job this year. He's only a freshman & 2 years to grow & be a backup will only help, not hurt him. Plus, who knows what could happen in the meantime. The true test will be with what happens in a couple years, after POB & Gebbia battle for the starting job.

Last edited:

Literally none of this applies to me. I've seen better analysis from palm readers.

Taylor Martinez is arguably the most physically gifted athlete NU has had at the QB position.
You could argue that point but you would be way wrong, IMO. TM likely had the fastest burst (10-15 yards) of any NU quarterback, but that's about it. He was frail in comparison to many NU quarterbacks and not as athletic. He was a straight line runner without the jukes and change of direction that most real athletes have. Frost, Crouch, Newcombe, Taylor (Steve), Gill, even TA were much better athletes than TM and that is just to name a few. That, of course is my opinion but I think it is solid.

Last edited:
Literally none of this applies to me. I've seen better analysis from palm readers.

You are in denial. Your healing can't begin until you get out of denial. Nobody can change you. You will have to do it yourself.

If you think you are OK and in control, why would you visit palm readers?

:Confused:

Last edited:
Were you expecting Tom Brady?

I am not a football player. I am just an old dude having fun at a football camp.

I don't understand why you are taking this so seriously and being so critical about it.

You are a strange person.

I catch a few passes for fun and you catch a few fish for fun. But you don't see me critiquing you about it. Should I?

Starve07_R1.jpg

9HillbillyHandfishin.jpg

article-2362587-1ACBAFCE000005DC-7_634x331.jpg

article-2362587-1ACBAFC9000005DC-819_634x352.jpg
Don't be so defensive. It's all in good fun.

I actually thought @Mack The Shark was being generous. Assistant equipment managers probably know that your hands and arms don't go through the neck hole when putting on a jersey.

Don't be so defensive. It's all in good fun.

I actually thought @Mack The Shark was being generous. Assistant equipment managers probably know that your hands and arms don't go through the neck hole when putting on a jersey.

Yes they do, but I didn't know. Also, he was the head equipment manager.

On the last day, I asked the director of football operations if I could catch a pass from one of the UCF QBs. He surprised me and had SF throw me a couple. I told Scott that I had not dropped a pass since 1959, and I told him I wanted him to rip it at me, and that is just what he did.

I went on the same pattern as my gif video. I ran downfield 12 yards, did my famous jump turn, and then SF let it go. I would say the pass was traveling about 50 mph. The speed of it did not bother me...I am a tennis player and I see balls traveling at me faster than that. But what surprised me was the viscous spin on the ball. It was 95 degrees and humid in Orlando that day and my palms were sweaty. I wish I had been wearing the pass catchers gloves they gave me.

Anyway, the fast-spinning ball slipped through my sweaty hands a bit and I had to use my stomach to help me catch the ball...but I caught it. I have pictures of the whole thing on a disc but I can't post them because the photos have too much memory. Is there some way I can save them to a format that uses less memory? I would like to post some of them.

Last edited:
Yes they do, but I didn't know. Also, he was the head equipment manager.

On the last day, I asked the director of football operations if I could catch a pass from one of the UCF QBs. He surprised me and had SF throw me a couple. I told Scott that I had not dropped a pass since 1959, and I told him I wanted him to rip it at me, and that is just what he did.

I went on the same pattern as my gif video. I ran downfield 12 yards, did my famous jump turn, and then SF let it go. I would say the pass was traveling about 65 mph. The speed of it did not bother me...I am a tennis player and I see balls traveling at me faster than that. But what surprised me was the viscous spin on the ball. It was 95 degrees and humid in Orlando that day and my palms were sweaty. I wish I had been wearing the pass catchers gloves they gave me.

Anyway, the fast-spinning ball slipped through my sweaty hands a bit and I had to use my stomach to help me catch the ball...but I caught it. I have pictures of the whole thing on a disc but I can't post them because the photos have too much memory. Is there some way I can save them to a format that uses less memory? I would like to post some of them.
Does Scott still have that ugly, shotput throwing motion?

Does Scott still have that ugly, shotput throwing motion?

It looked similar, but not exactly the same. He does not take much backswing/wind-up when he throws, but probably more than he did in 1997. He still has state championship shot put arm strength. Sometimes he and the other coaches throw the ball around after practice, and they rip it around with a lot of pace (and spin). SF also runs six 200 meter dashes every day.

As you can see in the video, SF did not have much of a wind up in 1997, but he could zip the ball with plenty of pace, and he still can. Only difference is that Shevon Wiggins could not hang onto a SF bullet (even with gloves on), whereas I could. :Biggrin:

It was the hardest football (pace & spin) ever thrown my way. It was difficult to catch...mostly because I had never encountered a pass like that before. If he had thrown me 10 or 15 more it would have become easier. I think SF could still play QB at the FBS level. He is an exceptional athlete.

Last edited:
Sort of, but not nearly as much. But he still has state championship shot put arm strength. He is a big, strong fellow. Sometimes he and the other coaches throw the ball around after practice, and they rip it around with a lot of pace (and spin). SF also runs six 200 meter dashes every day.

It was the hardest football (pace & spin) ever thrown my way. It was difficult to catch. The gloves would have made it easier. I think SF could still play QB at the FBS level.
How'd his butt look?

GET TICKETS

Back