• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

New D-Line coach

Why did Saban get rid of him?

Hard to say; Sabin made some pretty sweeping changes after the team had the audacity to lose a game. Kuligowski was replaced by Brian Baker, the D-Line coach at Mississippi State; Sabin also named him Associate Head Coach. Baker has considerable NFL experience and is highly regarded.

Last edited:

Hard to say; Sabin made some pretty sweeping changes after the team had the audacity to lose a game. Kuligowski was replaced by Brian Baker, the D-Line coach at Mississippi State; Sabin also named him Associate Head Coach. Baker has considerable NFL experience and is highly regarded.
Kuligowski had the same titles/roles as Baker does now. Baker was announced in late January as the replacement.

Does anyone know if Frost or Chinander has any connection to Kuligowski? From everything I can find, I'm not seeing a downside to hiring him. We started off this thread by talking about "dream" hires, and if we can't have Larry Johnson from Ohio State, I'd love to have someone like this guy, assuming that he's a high-character guy and more than pulls his weight recruiting. If I could pick 3 positions on a football team where I'd want to have an old salty coach, I'm not sure of the order, but I'd pick O-line, D-line, and DC. If he can bring Alabama's top recruit with him? Mazel tov!

Swinney seems to be doing a good job of hanging on to assistants at Clemson. Osborne used to turn down pay raises in order to give more to his assistants. I've heard that Dabo has done the same. It's hard to hang on to good assistants, especially if they're ambitious for promotion, but on the bright side, people quit bad bosses and are reluctant to leave good ones. Frost appears to be the sort of boss that people want to work for. It had to be incredibly difficult for Fischer and Beckton to leave their alma mater as it was reaching its pinnacle, yet they came with Frost to Nebraska. That was incredibly impressive. I can't remember seeing that happen before.

As for the necessity of having ties to Nebraska, I'm not buying it. Devaney didn't. Melton didn't. McBride didn't. Ron Brown didn't. George Darlington didn't. Bo Pelini didn't. It certainly helps, but I'd rather have a great coach with character who can recruit than requiring a Nebraska connection.

IIRC, heading into this past season, Clemson had the 2nd highest paid assistant coaching staff in college football behind Ohio State. That'll keep guys around.

Does anyone know if Frost or Chinander has any connection to Kuligowski? From everything I can find, I'm not seeing a downside to hiring him. We started off this thread by talking about "dream" hires, and if we can't have Larry Johnson from Ohio State, I'd love to have someone like this guy, assuming that he's a high-character guy and more than pulls his weight recruiting. If I could pick 3 positions on a football team where I'd want to have an old salty coach, I'm not sure of the order, but I'd pick O-line, D-line, and DC. If he can bring Alabama's top recruit with him? Mazel tov!

I don't see a connection that's obvious. Frost or someone on the staff likely knows him -- coaches seem to network a lot and end up at the same places to talk (never know when you'll need a job!) ;)

Downside of a guy like him is that his best teams were built in solid recruiting states without the need for him to recruit top guys and get them there. Here's a Bama article that mentions his recruiting and casts is as an area where he struggles.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...alabama-defensive-line-coach-craig-kuligowski

On the plus side, the linked article from Miami also talks about him being one of the best in teaching and developing defensive linemen -- he turned around that Miami DL, and I remember the work he did at Mizzou (really not always with top talent -- Michael Sam "looked" like a great player in his system, but he wasn't a top athlete at all)

On Balance, I think he'd be very good, but I also want to plug Ron Aiken - -he was at Iowa for 8 years (but don't hold that against him!). Lots of very good run defenses during his stretch at Iowa and he showed he could get the talent to do the job even at a school that historically doesn't recruit nearly as well as Nebraska -- Aaron Kampman, Derreck Robinson, Colin Cole, Matt Roth and Jonathan Babinaeux are all guys he coached there.

He worked at Oregon when Frost was there, and had back to back first round picks from his DL while there. He's coached in the NFL for 6 years as well. Downside is that he's around 60, so you have to wonder how much fire he has to move into a college game, but it might be good for him to provide a stabilizing vet to pair with Chin. Also, never hurts to have an AA coach when going into the SEC country to get the defensive linemen that are there

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2013/02/new_oregon_defensive_line_coac.html

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back