• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska will explore a zone read package with Zack Darlington this spring

Reminds me of the old saying “Jack of all trades, master of none”. Seems to me that when you have a new quarterback and your OL is as weak as ours has been you really need to spend every minute of your practice time working on your base offense and try to perfect that first.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd rather see a package for POB if he is the 2nd string QB. He can run the zone read too, and is a better passer so it would be more effective. And HE would benefit from getting into games with meaningful playing time.
POB and Lee are nowhere near Armstrong and Darlington in terms of mobility and athleticism, which is why we are designing a package for someone more mobile, our staff found some things that universally work.

This is my concern. If Darlington is only in on zone read type plays, it's not really effective. I've seen other teams do similar things and feel like it's a wasted down. I think it would be much more effective if they have him do a few different things.

Eh, either way, I doubt it will be a significant or meaningful part of the offense.

But I think this does suggest that our staff doesn't believe that the other quarterbacks on the roster are a threat to run the ball.

No, it does not suggest that.

C

As long as the coaches can get the line to actually block people while also spending cycles on repping a gimmick that they may rarely use . . . then fine. Agree that the bowl game would have been a fine place to try something new if they were working on it at all--and they must have been if they are now considering it as a "package".

POB and Lee are nowhere near Armstrong and Darlington in terms of mobility and athleticism, which is why we are designing a package for someone more mobile, our staff found some things that universally work.

Armstrong is gone, this is purely ZD and POB comparison. While ZD may be more mobile, POB is mobile enough to run a zone read package. I like that the staff wants to utilize the athleticism of ZD but it would be easier to defend ZD than it would POB since he is also a greater threat to throw.

C

Personally, I had hopes that ZD would be utilized in a few "fakes" from his holder position. I had high hopes early when he went for it on the "swinging gate" or whatever they call that extra point circus. :cool:

Armstrong is gone, this is purely ZD and POB comparison. While ZD may be more mobile, POB is mobile enough to run a zone read package. I like that the staff wants to utilize the athleticism of ZD but it would be easier to defend ZD than it would POB since he is also a greater threat to throw.

C
Armstrong is where this staff discovered their like for the zone read so it's relevant. If POB is capable, why are we designing a package for someone other than the guy who will be our starter or backup (POB)?

People need to realize POB and Lee are not scaring anyone with their mobility, the defense will want those two to keep the ball on zone reads, which completely defeats the purpose.

Last edited:
Armstrong is where this staff discovered their like for the zone read so it's relevant. If POB is capable, why are we designing a package for someone other than the guy who will be our starter or backup (POB)?

People need to realize POB and Lee are not scaring anyone with their mobility, the defense will want those two to keep the ball on zone reads, which completely defeats the purpose.

But what you said about Armstrong is a no brainer and he will not be taking the field this fall so you only needed to mention ZD. But that is not the main point, if ZD takes the field it is a run and easy to T-off on. With POB who is athletic enough to run a zone read play, it can be either a pass or run. If the defense wants POB to keep the ball and defends the pass, he is more than capable of getting yardage with his legs. Unless ZD shows he is capable of throwing with accuracy I too would rather they run the package with POB. Who knows, maybe ZD becomes an ace passer this spring to keep the defenses from stacking the line when he comes in.

C

But what you said about Armstrong is a no brainer and he will not be taking the field this fall so you only needed to mention ZD. But that is not the main point, if ZD takes the field it is a run and easy to T-off on. With POB who is athletic enough to run a zone read play, it can be either a pass or run. If the defense wants POB to keep the ball and defends the pass, he is more than capable of getting yardage with his legs. Unless ZD shows he is capable of throwing with accuracy I too would rather they run the package with POB. Who knows, maybe ZD becomes an ace passer this spring to keep the defenses from stacking the line when he comes in.

C
I think ZD is going to be continuing the expanded zone read/RPO offense they created for Tommy. Something that defenses won't need to respect as much from POB or Lee. POB will be nothing more than keeping the ball on a zone read to keep the defenses honest from time to time. He is not a runner, and is less athletic and mobile than Ryker Fyfe, who averaged -1.8 ypc this year, and -5.0 ypc last year.

The entire reason we are bringing up a package for Darlington is because our two front runners for the QB position next year aren't threats to do it.

Last edited:

C
I think you're overestimating O'Brien's ability to run effectively. Think Zac Lee, but less effective.

I think ZD is going to be continuing the expanded zone read/RPO offense they created for Tommy. Something that defenses won't need to respect as much from POB or Lee. POB will be nothing more than keeping the ball on a zone read to keep the defenses honest from time to time. He is not a runner, and is less athletic and mobile than Ryker Fyfe, who averaged -1.8 ypc this year, and -5.0 ypc last year.

The entire reason we are bringing up a package for Darlington is because our two front runners for the QB position next year aren't threats to do it.

I don't see anything ZD can do that will make defenses respect it. He comes in and the defense knows exactly what is going to happen. I for one am tired of the NU zone read and would be happy to see it go away for a long time unless they get a QB at the caliber of a Deshawn, Winston, Mariota, Cam, etc.

C

I don't see anything ZD can do that will make defenses respect it. He comes in and the defense knows exactly what is going to happen. I for one am tired of the NU zone read and would be happy to see it go away for a long time unless they get a QB at the caliber of a Deshawn, Winston, Mariota, Cam, etc.

C
Yeah our version of the zone read hasn't scared many!! I like Bob Stoops philosophy as he would just take both guys out.

Yeah our version of the zone read hasn't scared many!! I like Bob Stoops philosophy as he would just take both guys out.
That's much easier said than done. It takes disciplined, assignment football to defend against a well designed zone read scheme.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back