• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska vs Wisconsin

Final stats:

Shooting:
UW 24-47 51.1%; NU 15-49 30.6%

Treys:
UW 11-21 52.4%; NU 3-13 23.1% (NU made first two treys early in game.)

FT Shooting:
UW 5-5 100%; NU 7-9 77.8%

Rebounds (O/D):
UW 30 (6/24); NU 25 (9/16)

Assists:
UW 13; NU 9

Turnovers:
UW 7; NU 9

Steals:
UW 6; NU 5

Blocks:
UW 2; NU 1

Personal fouls:
UW 11; NU 10

NU scoring:
McCray 16 (14 in first half, 2 to start second half)
Ubel 8
Walker 7
Spencer 5
Richardson 4
Hilliard 0
Rivers 0
Niemann 0
Fox 0

Diaz and Talley did not play.

Last edited:
Final game thoughts.

First of all, Nebraska really played short-handed tonight without Diaz or Talley. They really only had 5 servicable players tonight and Spencer didn't look like himself. McCray had that look about him from the start and was outstanding in the first half. But no one else really looked locked in tonight. From the very beginning, our energy looked weak. Not supposed to happen at home and from a points-starved team.

Our inability to run any sort of offense really stood out tonight. After a miraculous play ended the first half, we had a great hustle play on our very first possession of the second half close the deficit to 5. Plus, their center picked up two quick fouls and took a seat. The opportunity was there. In addition, Wisconsin started off a bit cold in the second half. Our players seemed to have more energy, and we had solid momentum.

But we failed to not only take advantage, we really failed to get any kind of a decent shot off in that stretch. Once again, Doc sensed the momentum and the time was right to take the air out of the ball and shorten the game by running clock at the expense of running the offense to get decent looks at the basket.

The announcers called a great game tonight. They were spot on with their analysis. I think they are the first announcers I have heard question the weave offense that Doc likes to run. Why run it there? They were right.

Now I am going to say it. I have said as much before. I . . . HHHHHAAATTTTTEEEE . . . that stupid weave offense. It is the biggest waste of time and energy that serves absolutely no purpose.

The thing I hate about the weave offense, is although it gives the offense the illusion of movement, in reality it is easy to defend and takes offensive players out of the offense. All of the movement is side to side, 30 feet away from the basket.

Good offensive players like to be able to square up to the bucket. Side to side movement takes offensive players away from the flow of good offense. It also takes away from the inside-outside offense that most good half court offense is based on. It's bush league. It's a stall tactic when you have a lead.

In the past, we always lacked something offensively. Size, quickness, outside shooting . . . always something. Now it seems, what we really lack is a consistent offensive approach. Granted, Wisconsin is a good defensive team and we were short-handed, but we were lucky to get 40 tonight. Really lucky.

Our offensive gameplan (or lack thereof) really never gave us a chance. No wonder our players are so eager to throw up quick treys. Why not? A quick open trey is probably a higher percentage then a forced prayer with the shot clock running out. We had many, many of both tonight.

And for such a strong defensive team, has anybody noticed that we have no ability to pressure the ball on defense? Most successful teams that are so-so offensively, don't just play basic defense, they pressure the ball. Force the other team out of their comfort zone. Create turnovers. Use their energy to change the flow of the game. Tonight, Wisconsin out-efforted us by a wide margin, particularly in the second half.

They pressure the ball and play with ENERGY.

Another thing teams that don't score do, is rebound the basketball, particularly on the defensive end. Tonight rebounding wasn't an issue. But we go thru periods where we don't have a clue on the boards.

This team is in trouble.

McCray started off on fire, but ran out of juice. Spencer never had any juice all night. Richardson played like he usually does, invisible most of the night except for the occassional flash. Walker is the biggest enigma--he should be a better player than he is showing. He doesn't look comfortable most of the time. Ubel plays hard but son, when you post a man up and he stands flat footed with arms straight up in the "I am not going to foul you, no matter what" stance, there is no need to double-fake him and then try some sort of twisting semi-hook shot while moving away from the basket and straight into a second defender. Just shoot the bleeping ball already!

Would somebody please coach these guys what to do when they get the ball inside? Please? Pretty please?

The inside game was there all night, especially with their big man on the bench. But we didn't take advantage. The announcers got that one right as well.

We need to get some guys healthy. We need to play with better energy. It's becoming more and more apparent that there is something else we need.

Oh well. Here's hoping for a better performance next time.

Take care all.

Thanks HIO for the analysis, as usual you bring up some very valid points and observations. There are many issues with this team already this season but hopefully a few of them can be fixed.

Forgot to post when I got home, but wow. That game was embarrassing. Wisconsin shot 50% from the field, 51% from waaaaay beyond the 3 pt line and I think they were 100% on Free Throws.

We can't beat anybody worth anything if we only shoot 34% or whatever we finished at. Sheesh.

Sadler has had plenty of time...get rid of him after this season and get someone who can recruit. This is embarrassing.

It's not only recruiting... Doc is simply not much better than average to a bit above coaching. Yes, Wisconsin had the talent advantage (especially with their PG, Taylor).... but it wasn't enough of a talent advantage to absolutely destroy the Huskers. Bo Ryan is simply a much, much better coach, who knows how to put his players in position to win ball games. UW does not plug tons of talent into the NBA. Many Big 12 teams have more talent than Wisconsin (as do a few of the Big Ten teams). But Ryan shows what a great coach can do.

Final game thoughts.

First of all, Nebraska really played short-handed tonight without Diaz or Talley. They really only had 5 servicable players tonight and Spencer didn't look like himself. McCray had that look about him from the start and was outstanding in the first half. But no one else really looked locked in tonight. From the very beginning, our energy looked weak. Not supposed to happen at home and from a points-starved team.

Our inability to run any sort of offense really stood out tonight. After a miraculous play ended the first half, we had a great hustle play on our very first possession of the second half close the deficit to 5. Plus, their center picked up two quick fouls and took a seat. The opportunity was there. In addition, Wisconsin started off a bit cold in the second half. Our players seemed to have more energy, and we had solid momentum.

But we failed to not only take advantage, we really failed to get any kind of a decent shot off in that stretch. Once again, Doc sensed the momentum and the time was right to take the air out of the ball and shorten the game by running clock at the expense of running the offense to get decent looks at the basket.

The announcers called a great game tonight. They were spot on with their analysis. I think they are the first announcers I have heard question the weave offense that Doc likes to run. Why run it there? They were right.

Now I am going to say it. I have said as much before. I . . . HHHHHAAATTTTTEEEE . . . that stupid weave offense. It is the biggest waste of time and energy that serves absolutely no purpose.

The thing I hate about the weave offense, is although it gives the offense the illusion of movement, in reality it is easy to defend and takes offensive players out of the offense. All of the movement is side to side, 30 feet away from the basket.

Good offensive players like to be able to square up to the bucket. Side to side movement takes offensive players away from the flow of good offense. It also takes away from the inside-outside offense that most good half court offense is based on. It's bush league. It's a stall tactic when you have a lead.

In the past, we always lacked something offensively. Size, quickness, outside shooting . . . always something. Now it seems, what we really lack is a consistent offensive approach. Granted, Wisconsin is a good defensive team and we were short-handed, but we were lucky to get 40 tonight. Really lucky.

Our offensive gameplan (or lack thereof) really never gave us a chance. No wonder our players are so eager to throw up quick treys. Why not? A quick open trey is probably a higher percentage then a forced prayer with the shot clock running out. We had many, many of both tonight.

And for such a strong defensive team, has anybody noticed that we have no ability to pressure the ball on defense? Most successful teams that are so-so offensively, don't just play basic defense, they pressure the ball. Force the other team out of their comfort zone. Create turnovers. Use their energy to change the flow of the game. Tonight, Wisconsin out-efforted us by a wide margin, particularly in the second half.

They pressure the ball and play with ENERGY.

Another thing teams that don't score do, is rebound the basketball, particularly on the defensive end. Tonight rebounding wasn't an issue. But we go thru periods where we don't have a clue on the boards.

This team is in trouble.

McCray started off on fire, but ran out of juice. Spencer never had any juice all night. Richardson played like he usually does, invisible most of the night except for the occassional flash. Walker is the biggest enigma--he should be a better player than he is showing. He doesn't look comfortable most of the time. Ubel plays hard but son, when you post a man up and he stands flat footed with arms straight up in the "I am not going to foul you, no matter what" stance, there is no need to double-fake him and then try some sort of twisting semi-hook shot while moving away from the basket and straight into a second defender. Just shoot the bleeping ball already!

Would somebody please coach these guys what to do when they get the ball inside? Please? Pretty please?

The inside game was there all night, especially with their big man on the bench. But we didn't take advantage. The announcers got that one right as well.

We need to get some guys healthy. We need to play with better energy. It's becoming more and more apparent that there is something else we need.

Oh well. Here's hoping for a better performance next time.

Take care all.

This sticks out the most to me..

They really only had 5 servicable players tonight and Spencer didn't look like himself.

Who is responsible for that?

It's not only recruiting... Doc is simply not much better than average to a bit above coaching. Yes, Wisconsin had the talent advantage (especially with their PG, Taylor).... but it wasn't enough of a talent advantage to absolutely destroy the Huskers. Bo Ryan is simply a much, much better coach, who knows how to put his players in position to win ball games. UW does not plug tons of talent into the NBA. Many Big 12 teams have more talent than Wisconsin (as do a few of the Big Ten teams). But Ryan shows what a great coach can do.
Ryan has the best win percentage of any coach in Big 10 history.

Doc is clueless. He thinks the only way to win in the Big 10 is to take the shot clock under 10 seconds and take a shot. Read his post game quotes and see if anyone believes him and thinks he should stay on as a coach right now?

Defensively. Offensively the man has absolutely no clue. If he was "average to a bit above" at that end he'd have better teams. He sucks.

i know you're right... i'm just trying to temper my husker sports "negativity" a bit....

mike anderson (baseball) was the suckiest of 'em all... so it's all relative to anderson in my mind (shouldn't be, however).

sucks. yes.

and i believe i was seeing in that same article that gave the wisconsin defensive stats... it showed the nebraska defensive stats to be much, much worse -- as bad as i've seen under doc. wisconsin pretty much seemed to have their way on the huskers defense last night. only 64 points... but because of tempo not NU's defense. UW completely dictated that -- and made the huskers look silly with plenty of easy hoops.

Doc apppears clueless as a coach and I wonder how effective he is as a recruiter. It appears that Wisconsin had a talent edge and even though NU isn't known as a basketball school, is Wisconsin known as such?

Didn't get a chance to watch the game. Turned it to ESPN2, and saw NU was barely over 30 points a few minutes into the second half, shook my head, and watched something else. Losing to Wisconsin isn't too big of a deal, but did NU even compete?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back