• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

My Gut Reaction on Bob Diaco

Is Bob Diaco a good hire?

• Yes

Votes: 109 97.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
It's obvious to me that since UNL broke new ground with an assistant's pay that this move would have to be run past SE for approval. Unless there was a previously agreed upon maximum pay scale for assistants that Diaco's salary didn't exceed, I can't imagine any real world situation where Diaco's hiring & pay wouldn't be brought to SE. No big deal.

It could have been a bidding war. It was reported that several teams were seeking Diaco's services and it could be that Nebraska was forced to pay more than anyone else to get him. Diaco was holding all the cards and perhaps he made use of them. I would not blame him.

So, what's the truth then? As it's quite apparent you are truly assuming that Eichorst made this call, over Riley. Funny stuff.

Please. Give me a break. I am not assuming that Eichorst made the call. I am only pointing out that nobody knows who made the call. MR is a possible. Devaney is a possible. Eichorst is a possible....and it could have been a group decision where all 3 reached a consensus that Banker needed to go and that Diaco would be the best replacement.

It is not important to know who made the decision or how it was made, but I think it is important for everyone to understand that nobody knows who made the decision and that it is wrong to assume that MR made it.

If I had to bet, my guess would be that Devaney came up with the idea of replacing Banker with Diaco. IMO, Devaney would be aware of great coaches on the market moreso than Eichorst or Riley would be. SE and MR have other things to keep them busy. Being aware of good coaches on the market and measuring the performance of current coaches would be exactly in line with Billy Devaney's duties.

Devaney could have presented his report card on Banker to Eichorst, measuring defensive performance, recruiting, and unit morale. Devaney sells Eichorst on the idea that Banker is not cutting it and that Diaco is an intriging replacement possibility. Devaney convinces Eichorst that Diaco is a SE type of guy...the opposite of an energy vampire...a true energy hero.

Devaney and Eichorst finally agree that replacing Banker with Diaco would be a good move and they both approach Riley. Although Riley has never heard of Bob Diaco, Devaney gives Riley his background and Riley concedes that it would be a good move and then all three move forward to make it happen. As soon as Diaco agrees to come to UNL, Riley calls Banker with the news. SE & Devaney let Riley make the announcement because it looks best if it appears it was the HCes idea.

Yep, that would be my best guess of how it went down. Is it weird science? Something like aliens built the pyramids? I don't think so.

Last edited:
Absolutely. If I knew Eichorst did it I would applaud him. Good job, SE, MR, Devaney, yo momma...whoever did it!

But if Eichorst forced this move, he would be wise not admit it. It would not look right. I am fine with not knowing the full story, but at the same time I am not fine with people giving MR full credit for it without knowing.

No one gives a rats ass who made the decision or what you think about it. It's done and most of us are looking forward.

It's funny, when I go on to YouTube I'll pull up a great song and see that it has 5,000 likes and 12 thumbs down. I always wonder who those people are who are constantly in that small minority that just doesn't "get it." I have a feeling that's your crowd.

You're the only one that would bother. Clearly the only thing you would believe would be if MR said it was forced.

There you go making assumptions again!

Hey buddy, just do me one favor. Please admit that Shatel, McKewon and I are on the same page on this issue, and then we can let it go.

Last edited:
It's funny, when I go on to YouTube I'll pull up a great song and see that it has 5,000 likes and 12 thumbs down. I always wonder who those people are who are constantly in that small minority that just doesn't "get it." I have a feeling that's your crowd.

Yep, Christopher Columbus didn't "get it" either. Everybody knew the world was flat...but that was just an unproven assumption just like the unproven assumption that MR made the move.

:Biggrin:

Last edited:
Please. Give me a break. I am not assuming that Eichorst made the call. I am only pointing out that nobody knows who made the call. MR is a possible. Devaney is a possible. Eichorst is a possible....and it could have been a group decision where all 3 reached a consensus that Banker needed to go and that Diaco would be the best replacement.

It is not important to know who made the decision or how it was made, but I think it is important for everyone to understand that nobody knows who made the decision and that it is wrong to assume that MR made it.

If I had to bet, my guess would be that Devaney came up with the idea of replacing Banker with Diaco. IMO, Devaney would be aware of great coaches on the market moreso than Eichorst or Riley would be. SE and MR have other things to keep them busy. Being aware of good coaches on the market and measuring the performance of current coaches would be exactly in line with Billy Devaney's duties.

Devaney could have presented his report card on Banker to Eichorst, measuring defensive performance, recruiting, and unit morale. Devaney sells Eichorst on the idea that Banker is not cutting it and that Diaco is an intriging replacement possibility. Devaney convinces Eichorst that Diaco is a SE type of guy...the opposite of an energy vampire...a true energy hero.

Devaney and Eichorst finally agree that replacing Banker with Diaco would be a good move and they both approach Riley. Although Riley has never heard of Bob Diaco, Devaney gives Riley his background and Riley concedes that it would be a good move and then all three move forward to make it happen. As soon as Diaco agrees to come to UNL, Riley calls Banker with the news. SE & Devaney let Riley make the announcement because it looks best if it appears it was the HCes idea.

Yep, that would be my best guess of how it went down. Is it weird science? Something like aliens built the pyramids? I don't think so.

It's extremely unlikely that Riley "had never heard of Bob Diaco". Riley is highly active within coaches associations. He is well known in the coaching community and has been around a long time. My guess is that there were discussions between Devaney, Riley and Eichost or maybe even just between Riley and Devaney at first about the possibility of changing to a 3-4 scheme on defense and that they had already generated a short list of people who might be able to help them with it (that is, who could they hire as defensive coordinator who would produce such a transition).

From the "department of complete and utter speculation" I might also suggest that the following conversation may have taken place between the end of the regular season and when Banker got the axe:

Riley: "Hey, Mark, have you ever given any thought to trying to introduce more 3-4 concepts and scheming into your defense?"
Banker: "No, not really, that's not my deal. I'm pretty committed to 4-3 concepts."
Riley: "Hmmmm........"

Again, as for the idea of Riley having never heard of Diaco: I'm not buying it. Hell, even I had heard of Diaco and I'm not nearly the student of the game that Riley is. As soon as I heard that he'd been fired by Connecticut, I said to myself, "Hmmm......", but then I thought to myself, "No way Riley fires Banker. No way."

Yep, Christopher Columbus didn't "get it" either. Everybody knew the world was flat...but that was just an unproven assumption just like the unproven assumption that MR made the move.

:Biggrin:

We get it. You feel that MR is/was too weak to pull the trigger on Banker. None of us know whether that's true or not, especially you. Even if it is, how easy would it be for you to tell a friend of 25 years to hit the bricks? Glad I didn't have to deliver the news.

What Paramus fails to "get" is that SE hired MR to run his football program and win championships. In doing so, he hired a guy that was over 60 years old, a guy with financial independence already and with a guaranteed severance package. If SE had come to MR with a "get rid of Banker" attitude, he would've been coming in at a serious disadvantage...MR would've told him something like "you brought me here to win championships, I'm building a team to do just that and that includes Mark Banker," end of story. There is no way that MR wasn't the one to initiate the dismissal of Banker...it defies all but twisted logic and shows total disrespect to MR's integrity.

Last edited:

Good question, but the answer is quite simple. When assumptions are expressed as truths it bugs me and sometimes I get motivated enough to challenge them.
So any time someone is positive and excited about the possibilities, even going so far as to project scenarios the new possibilities bring, you feel compelled to take a dump on them because they aren't yet a proven fact. Lovely, that explains so much about you as a poster.

There you go making assumptions again!

Hey buddy, just do me one favor. Please admit that Shatel, McKewon and I are on the same page on this issue, and then we can let it go.

I'm not your buddy. I'm not making assumptions either. You have stated in this thread that if Eichorst forced the move he wouldn't admit it. Just extending the logic a bit that Riley wouldn't either. So if either of them come out and say it wasn't forced, clearly you won't believe it. Therefore, the only thing you would believe is if they said it was forced.

I am done with you on this, now we're just repeating arguments. Troll away at the current staff.

GET TICKETS

Back