• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

My Gut Reaction on Bob Diaco

Is Bob Diaco a good hire?

• Yes

Votes: 109 97.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
What difference does it make? Why worry about The way something went down when it's led to what almost everyone agrees is an intriguing and positive step forward?

Good question, but the answer is quite simple. When assumptions are expressed as truths it bugs me and sometimes I get motivated enough to challenge them.

Last edited:

Sorry buddy, but I am not alone. Just like me, Tom Shatel and Sam MCkewon are also wondering who made the decision. They are not sure either. They suggested it could have been a forced move. I am fine with being in their company. Like me, they are just trying to be objective. They don't want to make any unwarranted assumptions.

Shatel....

"Is Eichorst forcing Riley’s hand here? If so, that’s a bad look and a bad sign for the program."

McKewon....

"The big question: Who’s driving these changes? Is it Riley? Is it the Riley Whisperer, executive director of player personnel Billy Devaney? Is it Athletic Director Shawn Eichorst? If it is Riley, this is uncharted territory for a guy who prides himself on loyalty."
And most consider their opinions to be typical douche behavior of two clowns who seem hell bent on sensationalizing every possible story into some ridiculous mellow drama...so your posts put you in good mellow dramatic company.

This is the same kind of accountability that most of us see at the corporate level. Weaknesses as well as strengths will be evaluated with action plans to address. I can all but assure you that this is the identical at nearly all big time programs, because in this day and age, the investment financially is obscene, and the persona with all the social issues is under tremendous scrutiny and that creates a totally different world. The lovefests Saban and Meyer enjoy would flip on a dime if they started losing and had behavior issues in the programs. Briles learned just how little leverage a successful has if the program hits some speed bumps.

SE and Devaney didn't make the call, but they certainly helped Riley see the need to improve and helped facilitate the upgrade financially.

Last edited:
Whatever. But you must admit that Shatel, McKewon and I are on the same page. We don't know who made the decision and we are not going to give anyone credit for it until we know more than we do right now. All three of us think it is possible that Eichorst forced Riley's hand.

Do you think Shatel and McKewon are trying to discredit Riley? Are they trolling? That is ridiculous. They are just being objective...completely neutral.

If Eichorst made the decision he will never admit it. It would make it look like he is not fully confident in MR...that he may have made a mistake with his hire.

If it was Riley's decision, why doesn't he elaborate for us on how he became a big Bob Diaco fan?

The only thing Riley said was....

“When we began looking for a new defensive coordinator, Bob Diaco quickly rose to the top of the list,” Riley said.

Who is we? There you go. Riley admits that it was a "WE" decision. He never said it was his decision to hire Diaco and he never said it was his decision to fire Banker.

Was Riley a major player or a minor player in the "WE" decision? Impaler, maybe you could tell us?

Oh dear God you are a tiresome person. No, I don't think they are trying to discredit MR, I think they ask a question is all. We've all heard about MR being loyal. Seems like a fairly obvious question to ask.

Regarding Eichorst never admitting, I'm glad to see there's no information out there to convince you that it was MR's move. Sounds like the only thing that would convince you of the truth is MR saying the move was forced. Because if MR comes out and says it was his call you'll simply say, "MR would never admit it because it would undermine his authority."

As far as the "we" stuff. You know, I say "we" all the time when I am talking to my kids. You know, the whole united front thing? Even if it's something my wife and I haven't specifically dealt with. But also, I have no doubt that MR ran it by Devaney and SE for opinions. You know, like a good leader would. You're the one who is totally reading into this.

I wonder if you will be as "objective" if/when Frost makes some staff changes? That's a rhetorical question, pretty sure I already know that answer.

Maybe Eichorst did do it. So what!?!? It would have been nice if the AD in the past couple of regimes would have stepped in and tossed out a couple of assistants since those coaches didn't have the balls to do it.

Maybe Eichorst did do it. So what!?!? It would have been nice if the AD in the past couple of regimes would have stepped in and tossed out a couple of assistants since those coaches didn't have the balls to do it.

Absolutely. If I knew Eichorst did it I would applaud him. Good job, SE, MR, Devaney, yo momma...whoever did it!

But if Eichorst forced this move, he would be wise not admit it. It would not look right. I am fine with not knowing the full story, but at the same time I am not fine with people giving MR full credit for it without knowing.

Last edited:

So you're a "who gets credit guy" I'm a results guy.

Wrong. The folks who are applauding Riley and giving him the credit are the "Who gets credit guys". They have a compelling need to give their boy all the credit.

I have chosen not to give anyone credit...but I do realize that someone deserves the credit. If I am unable to know who deserves the credit, that's OK.

Last edited:
What none of you saw coming, Obama used an Executive Order to force not only Eichorst, but Riley to fire Banker.....Thanks a lot Obama!

What none of you saw coming, Obama used an Executive Order to force not only Eichorst, but Riley to fire Banker.....Thanks a lot Obama!

Who gets the credit for paying Diaco so much? Diaco needs to identify that person and give him a big an atta boy.

Last edited:
Who gets the credit for paying Diaco so much? Diaco needs to identify that person and give him a big an atta boy.
Fair enough question, however, if Nebraska wants to win, and I know we do, then I also know that Eichorst wants to win and he would have taken steps to approve of Riley's choice and hire. Speculation on my part, but I believe Eichorst wants to elevate his status and eventually move on from Lincoln, it's sort of a given as far as I am concerned. Having said all that, I still think this was Riley's call all the way, with out pressure but the go ahead, thumbs up from SE.

Fair enough question, however, if Nebraska wants to win, and I know we do, then I also know that Eichorst wants to win and he would have taken steps to approve of Riley's choice and hire. Speculation on my part, but I believe Eichorst wants to elevate his status and eventually move on from Lincoln, it's sort of a given as far as I am concerned. Having said all that, I still think this was Riley's call all the way, with out pressure but the go ahead, thumbs up from SE.

That is a definite possibility.

All MR needed from SE was approval to spend that much cash on BD.

In the real world, if you're going to fire or not renew their contract, you probably want to keep your boss in the loop. I'm sure SE and MR spoke about not renewing Banker's contract. And I'm sure MR ran Diaco's hiring and pay past SE for his concurrance/approval. Banker's contract had only days to run and there would be no continuing payout for "firing" him.

It's obvious to me that since UNL broke new ground with an assistant's pay that this move would have to be run past SE for approval. Unless there was a previously agreed upon maximum pay scale for assistants that Diaco's salary didn't exceed, I can't imagine any real world situation where Diaco's hiring & pay wouldn't be brought to SE. No big deal.

GET TICKETS

Back