• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Miles needs to hit the road.

CPD924

Scout Team
2 Year Member
Now in year 5 and our offense continues to be hot garbage with no improvement in sight. With shiny new facilities there has to be someone out there that can get MUCH improved shooters to Lincoln....

Tonight v Creighton:
McVeigh: 2-8
Jacobson: 3-10
Webster: 5-15
Watson: 3-11
Roby: 1-7
Morrow: 1-3
Only guys to shoot above or even close to 40% were Tshimanga (3-6) and Gill (2-3). Shot 33% as a team tonight. Just awful...

Last edited:

I'm quickly reaching that point. I've been mostly quiet about Miles but...his record is POOR. His offense is ALWAYS poor. Sure, the recruiting SEEMS to be better but it pays no dividends.

If this year finishes how it appears it will....he should be on a very hot seat next year. That will be year 6. If a team is still bumping around at .333 in conference after 6 years you gotta read the writing on the wall. At that point "sticking with the process" rings hollow. It's nebraska so he'll get 6 or 7 years...but that writing on the wall is becoming pretty legible.

I'm quickly reaching that point. I've been mostly quiet about Miles but...his record is POOR. His offense is ALWAYS poor. Sure, the recruiting SEEMS to be better but it pays no dividends.

If this year finishes how it appears it will....he should be on a very hot seat next year. That will be year 6. If a team is still bumping around at .333 in conference after 6 years you gotta read the writing on the wall. At that point "sticking with the process" rings hollow. It's nebraska so he'll get 6 or 7 years...but that writing on the wall is becoming pretty legible.

Yeah I liked the Miles hire and he seems like a good dude but I just can't see him lasting much longer. Maybe it just so happens to be the games I watch but it seems like those 5-7 minute scoring droughts are a regular occurrence. Like I said appears to be absolutely no direction when it comes to the offense (Outside of passing the ball around the perimeter for 20 seconds each time down the floor). Really is too bad... could be a decent/good team if they had a pulse offensively:

Scoring Defense: 36th
Scoring offense: 279th
3pt %: 270th

Yeah I liked the Miles hire and he seems like a good dude but I just can't see him lasting much longer. Maybe it just so happens to be the games I watch but it seems like those 5-7 minute scoring droughts are a regular occurrence. Like I said appears to be absolutely no direction when it comes to the offense (Outside of passing the ball around the perimeter for 20 seconds each time down the floor). Really is too bad... could be a decent/good team if they had a pulse offensively:

Scoring Defense: 36th
Scoring offense: 279th
3pt %: 270th

no direction by design. offense is simply based on concepts. It can work really well because the defense doesn't know what is coming, but conversely, it can kill you when the defense doesn't have to care what is coming because its just the same thing over and over. One snippet: Have you ever seen a team able to trap on a ballscreen, and never have to worry about the offense finding the open man via the pass? CU routinely sent 2 guys to trap on ball screens, and not a single time was NU able to swing the ball around to what has to be, by simple math, an open man. 3 guys can't guard 4. yet over and over, NU was never able to take advantage. You may have noticed that eventually Tai and Glenn got sick of retreating, and started to just split the double team off the dribble. thats great, but not easy to do and sad that was the only way they could make CU somewhat concerned about committing 2 defenders to trap. I could go on and on......

Last edited:

no direction by design. offense is simply based on concepts. It can work really well because the defense doesn't know what is coming, but conversely, it can kill you when the defense doesn't have to care what is coming because its just the same thing over and over. One snippet: Have you ever seen a team able to trap on a ballscreen, and never have to worry about the offense finding the open man via the pass? CU routinely sent 2 guys to trap on ball screens, and not a single time was NU able to swing the ball around to what has to be, by simple math, and open man. 3 guys can't guard 4. yet over and over, NU was never able to take advantage. You may have noticed that eventually Tai and Glenn got sick of it retreating, and started to just split the double team off the dribble. thats great, but not easy to do and sad that was the only way they could make CU somewhat concerned about committing 2 defenders to trap. I could go on and on......

Hmm... may want to rethink that strategy. :Biggrin:

Hmm... may want to rethink that strategy. :Biggrin:
whats particularly mind numbing is that in the midst of a typical 8+ minute scoring drought, Miles doesn't seem to have a play. Oh sure, there is the dribble weave that is a designed movement but the end result of that movement simply leads to the same thing....some sort of ballscreen or pick and roll concept. Heck, CU ran the same dribble weave but the conclusion (the GOAL of the movement) was a backscreen for a CU guard. he handed the ball off, and the 4 man at the freethrow elbow set a backscreen for him. The other bigman, who received the pass at the opposite elbow, would have hit him for a layup were it not for Webster holding him and getting called for a foul. Such a simple thing, and CU does this stuff with ease.

Watching NU tonight would be akin to the football team, running the same play with the players being allowed to, at their own discretion, run whatever type of route they want. Some concepts can drive the basic jist of what they hope to accomplish, but ultimately its up to the players to read each other and make the correct decision. No gameplan, no decisions on how to best attack, just concepts.

CU, on the other hand, would be like Ohio St, going up to the line, seeing the defense, looking to the sideline, getting the play, running the play, then sprinting to the LOS (did you notice how hard CU runs the floor) lining up, looking to the sideline, and running something different.

I wonder who is going to win that chess match.

When we go on our scoring drought we just down right suck! Even the close in shots clank out!

In this day and age, a basketball coach shouldn't need 6, 7, 8 years to get a well, functioning team. Miles is no better off than 6 years ago. Every year its the same thing....the guys are young, we just need a few more pieces, just need a shooter, blah, blah, blah. I like Miles as a person but as a coach I just don't think he has "it".

Lost to a Top 10 team at home. We might be overreacting here juuussstttt a scoach.

Miles will get another year based on two things. 1. He got us to the tourney for the first time in ages, even if it was a fluke it did happen. 2. There is young talent here, like Bilsker said, it may just be on paper or it could be a Callahan situation, but recruiting rankings and athleticism says there is.

Based on those two things, I think Miles deserves one more year to see if he can cultivate that talent.

I completely agree though. I have zero problems axing Miles if the program isn't significantly trending up by the end of next year. Not kind of, not a little, not maybe...it MUST...SIGNIFICANTLY! The only way I can get behind firing the guy this year is if the players just stop caring or playing for him.

Lost to a Top 10 team at home. We might be overreacting here juuussstttt a scoach.

Miles will get another year based on two things. 1. He got us to the tourney for the first time in ages, even if it was a fluke it did happen. 2. There is young talent here, like Bilsker said, it may just be on paper or it could be a Callahan situation, but recruiting rankings and athleticism says there is.

Based on those two things, I think Miles deserves one more year to see if he can cultivate that talent.

I completely agree though. I have zero problems axing Miles if the program isn't significantly trending up by the end of next year. Not kind of, not a little, not maybe...it MUST...SIGNIFICANTLY! The only way I can get behind firing the guy this year is if the players just stop caring or playing for him.

I think you are right Creighton is good. They are a well rounded team. They beat Wisconsin by 10 and controlled the game pretty much throughout.

Doesn't mean you don't want to see more out of team though.

My reaction isn't based off of one game, or even a few games just this year. It is based on watching this team be offensively challenged for YEARS now:

'17: Currently 279th
16: 200th
15:310th
14: 272nd

I agree and it is frustrating. Seems like a total lack of focus and confidence since our NCAA bid a few years ago. I'd love to see an uptempo, offensive minded approach...

I know this will stir things up, but TO didn't hire great coaches. Nebraska tries to get by on the cheap. Every time they hire a coach. SE seems to have the same strategy as far as getting things cheaply! A bigtime coach in basketball can win right away!

Couple of things here:
1)Basketball sucks (love watching high school and small college, but big time ball is horrible)
2)Really just one thing.

i don't think there is an overreaction here. its not that we lost. i think the vast majority of fans expected that. NU bball fans are realists in that regard. Its the fact that year after year, playing CU really shows the coaching disparity btw the two programs. you don't notice 2 NU players standing 3 ft from each other when playing clemson or va tech as much as you do when playing CU. CU is sound in all phases. Proper floor spacing, good structure and purpose on offense, team cohesiveness and an appearance that all the players on the floor know where they are supposed to be on offense.

I think Miles is leaning more towards Callahan. He may be able to get guys here, but 5 years in, the product on the floor looks fairly similar to what we saw in year 1/2. granted, he's got better players doing it, but even great players can look average when the offense does more to hinder talent then maximize it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back