• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Michael Jacobson to transfer

I know others have said it too, but to me you're really only losing 3 as Fuller doesn't really count since he had no game impact in the 4 years he was here (not saying I don't appreciate his efforts and what I'm sure was hard work in practice, but otherwise nothing to show for it).

And agree with the sum of the parts comment. Jacobsen and Morrow are both tweeners, who on their own aren't very good individual players. Neither quite big enough to hack it down low, but neither with much shooting ability either. Both would be pretty decent bench guys I think, but I don't think either should have been starting in the B1G. Horne to me had the most upside due to his shooting, as this team needs shooting, but I'm hopeful Gill, Copeland, and Palmer can help fill those shoes.

I understand its quite unnerving to see 1 starter graduate and two more say they want to transfer, but I don't quite feel the wheels are completely falling off because of the transfers that we have brought in so far that I mentioned above. If Watson or Roby goes, then that changes things completely.

But having Watson, Taylor, Palmer, Gill, McVeigh, Copeland, Roby, and Jordy (and Nana?) still gives us a decent nucleus it would appear. This is the point where it would be nice if we could have held on to one of either Morrow or Jacobsen as they could have come off the bench behind Jordy. As of now, we'll definitely need another big. But if Copeland is all he's cracked up to be, he's probably starting at the 4, and where does that leave either Morrow or Jacobsen besides coming off the bench?

Watson is a stud. No doubt. But practically none of the other guys have done a thing in a husker uniform yet.

Taylor showed flashes. It will be interesting to see how much progress he makes in the off season because his stats aren't good.

Palmer did nothing at Miami.

Gill did nothing at UL and was not playing well at all for NU.

McVeigh is another guy who, had he left, people would be saying "no big loss...replaceable." He needs to be their sniper but a sniper needs to do better than 34%.

Copeland is a guy with a high ceiling and a low floor. From what I read elsewhere he still hasn't been cleared (not sure if that's health or academics) and he is coming off back surgery. He's a curious one to me. At 6'9" he took over 1/3 of his shots from 3 as a sophomore and was rather ineffective at it. Seems to me that's that there may be some delusions on his part as to what he is v. what he perceives. Regardless, if NU gets sophomore year Copeland that's a win.

Roby certainly has the look of a potential stud but he will need to make strides. I'd say he has the most upside of any of the young players that remain. Not that I'm going out on a limb there.

Jordy...is weight going to be an issue? If so then health could be too. If he can stay fit he's got some upside too.

So really the one guy you know is going to be a baller is Watson. Everyone else has a lot of improvement to make. No matter how bad NU is they will score somewhere between 65 and 75 a game so SOMEONE is going to score those points. So it will appear by the end of the season that at least a couple of this guys are a hit.

But the reality is it's down to 9 guys. That leaves no room for what you know is inevitable. Injuries, slumps and busts. That's why losing 30% of your roster with no replacements in place is devastating. There is literally ZERO depth anywhere and very little room for guys to ease their way into the roster. Palmer, Copeland and Nana don't have time to "grow" into the system. They have to hit the ground running. Maybe NU strikes gold on the grad transfer market. They better.

Anyone selling the line that "those guys sucked so we won't miss them" is delusional and living in denial. You don't lose 4 guys (one a legacy and another a big "team" guy) and not acknowledge that something is rotten in Denmark.

All of this obviously ignores what is the biggest problem with Nebraska basketball right now. Tim Miles.

Miles also needs to maybe do a little better at retention. Barfy tries to provide cover by saying nationally 40% leave. But NU is at 58%. Obviously with small numbers the %s change quickly but still...batting 6 out of 14 is awful for many reasons.

Every player comes in thinking they will be all big 10. Seems he's failing at developing a team first atmosphere where guys accept roles. I guess that's a hell of a lot easier to do on a team that makes the dance v a team that wins 5 conference games.

Miles also needs to maybe do a little better at retention. Barfy tries to provide cover by saying nationally 40% leave. But NU is at 58%. Obviously with small numbers the %s change quickly but still...batting 6 out of 14 is awful for many reasons.

Every player comes in thinking they will be all big 10. Seems he's failing at developing a team first atmosphere where guys accept roles. I guess that's a hell of a lot easier to do on a team that makes the dance v a team that wins 5 conference games.

Yep. It doesn't take long to fan the flames of "in the right offense, I'd be scoring 25 a night", and I'm guessing 2-3 of the guys leaving have a bit of that in the back of their minds.

Beyond the disappointment in seeing so many of our core players leaving, is reading some of the really uneducated or unflattering comments being made about someone like Jacobson. Things like 'he's not that much of a loss', 'not a big impact player', are just ridiculous.

First, a guy doesn't have to be a big scorer, to be a key contributor. And make no mistake, Jake could have been a 10-7 guy, no problem. He plays pretty good D, he sets decent picks, he actually has a pretty good stroke (I don't consider him streaky when he doesn't get consistent looks), and he was quick to try to bring guys together after the White issue.

Jacobson is exactly the kind of guy we usually complain we didn't go after. Local talent, that can be a great role player that blends well with other players. In the right system, he'd have the opportunity to contribute, and I see his departure as a definite loss. If he doesn't do that much after the transfer, it won't mean he wasn't talented or wouldn't have contributed to the Huskers. Showing up as a transfer means you better get in the flow quickly, because those years of growth (freshman, redshirt or soph) are behind you, and becoming cohesive with the new team needs to happen in only a few months. Not easy.

Beyond the disappointment in seeing so many of our core players leaving, is reading some of the really uneducated or unflattering comments being made about someone like Jacobson. Things like 'he's not that much of a loss', 'not a big impact player', are just ridiculous.

First, a guy doesn't have to be a big scorer, to be a key contributor. And make no mistake, Jake could have been a 10-7 guy, no problem. He plays pretty good D, he sets decent picks, he actually has a pretty good stroke (I don't consider him streaky when he doesn't get consistent looks), and he was quick to try to bring guys together after the White issue.

Jacobson is exactly the kind of guy we usually complain we didn't go after. Local talent, that can be a great role player that blends well with other players. In the right system, he'd have the opportunity to contribute, and I see his departure as a definite loss. If he doesn't do that much after the transfer, it won't mean he wasn't talented or wouldn't have contributed to the Huskers. Showing up as a transfer means you better get in the flow quickly, because those years of growth (freshman, redshirt or soph) are behind you, and becoming cohesive with the new team needs to happen in only a few months. Not easy.
:nod: He's a relatively big kid with decent skills and athleticism who was able to give a lot of minutes play a lot of front court positions for us. We'll miss him in a big way.

:nod: He's a relatively big kid with decent skills and athleticism who was able to give a lot of minutes play a lot of front court positions for us. We'll miss him in a big way.

And few could argue he was dedicated to improve physically. The kid really hit the weights since his freshman year.

And few could argue he was dedicated to improve physically. The kid really hit the weights since his freshman year.
Yep. Nobody would argue that he's Terrence Badgett or Vinson Hamilton but, by NU basketball standards, he was a solid player. The kind of kid you'd just as soon have on your team.

Doesn't it get annoying to hear though, that both Morrow and now Jacobsen, don't want to do what's needed as teammates? Morrow turning into a small forward? Jacobsen (at 6'9) doesn't want to play some center? It's not like they earned those positions in practice/ games...

Yep. It doesn't take long to fan the flames of "in the right offense, I'd be scoring 25 a night", and I'm guessing 2-3 of the guys leaving have a bit of that in the back of their minds.
I think morrow is probably the only one that sees a pro career for himself...obviously he won't be playing in the NBA but he has a chance to make money somewhere.

Well put.

Outside of the Kentucky and North Carolinas of the NCAA world most good teams have several guys who fill a role...or more accurately MOST of the guys on any team are role players. Hell, even the kid from UNC that beat Kentucky only plays 14 minutes a game and scores 5 points. He's a former 4* recruit that could probably go just about anywhere as a transfer. That kind of goes to my previous point though...probably easier to accept a "role" for a winner.

I don't think Jacobson is likely under any illusion that he's going to go somewhere and be a focal point. Every team needs guys like Jacobson. Certainly every team can make use of a Morrow but I imagine only the most desparate of teams will tell him he's going to be a focal point of their offense. I'd love to get in Horne's head and know what his true reasons are. He had a decent final 6 (DePaul, KSU, ISU, NU, Wichita and pepperdine) so I'm sure he'll end up somewhere decent. He got minutes as a frosh, didn't light it up but didn't shoot poorly...not relative to his teammates anyway. Fuller is truly no loss. I'd be surprised if the decision was 100% his. He should have probably been pushed out the door last year. But yeah...this idea that was being sold HARD on HHC from a couple guys that these guys are no big loss individually or collectively is delusional.

Also Andrew White III .... newcomer of the year. Prewarning. Next transfer: Watson Jr.

Warden Samuel Norton: No more protection from the guards. I'll pull you out of that one-bunk Hilton and cast you down with the sodomites. You'll think you got f***** by a train! And the library Huskers BB? Gone! Sealed off brick by brick! We'll have us a little book-barbecue in the yard! They'll see the flames for Miles! We'll dance around it like wild Indians! Do you understand me? Are you catching my drift? Or am I being obtuse?

Last edited:

Well put.

Outside of the Kentucky and North Carolinas of the NCAA world most good teams have several guys who fill a role...or more accurately MOST of the guys on any team are role players. Hell, even the kid from UNC that beat Kentucky only plays 14 minutes a game and scores 5 points. He's a former 4* recruit that could probably go just about anywhere as a transfer. That kind of goes to my previous point though...probably easier to accept a "role" for a winner.

I don't think Jacobson is likely under any illusion that he's going to go somewhere and be a focal point. Every team needs guys like Jacobson. Certainly every team can make use of a Morrow but I imagine only the most desparate of teams will tell him he's going to be a focal point of their offense. I'd love to get in Horne's head and know what his true reasons are. He had a decent final 6 (DePaul, KSU, ISU, NU, Wichita and pepperdine) so I'm sure he'll end up somewhere decent. He got minutes as a frosh, didn't light it up but didn't shoot poorly...not relative to his teammates anyway. Fuller is truly no loss. I'd be surprised if the decision was 100% his. He should have probably been pushed out the door last year. But yeah...this idea that was being sold HARD on HHC from a couple guys that these guys are no big loss individually or collectively is delusional.

agree. Jacobsen is gonna go somewhere and be a tryhard role player, just like he was at NU. Morrow may have delusions of grandeur but I don't think thats Jacobsen's issue. I don't know that for a fact, but thats not the vibe i get. Which is why the loss of Jacobsen has to be even more concerning. Losing him hurts cause he's the role player every team needs, and he comes across like a team guy. If the team guy is leaving your team, so he can go dig trenches for somebody else, then you got serious problems. One more body blow like this and its game over. All eyes are on Watson now......

Yep. Nobody would argue that he's Terrence Badgett or Vinson Hamilton but, by NU basketball standards, he was a solid player. The kind of kid you'd just as soon have on your team.

There's a bit of a gulf between TB and VH... Wasn't VH all conference and even maybe conference player of the year...or almost?

That aside, I was a bit hard on Jacobsen earlier. He's only a sophomore. He really could be as good or better than Chubick by the time he's done.

I think morrow is probably the only one that sees a pro career for himself...obviously he won't be playing in the NBA but he has a chance to make money somewhere.

With his aggressiveness, ability to play far bigger than he is, if he can develop a Midrange jumpers, and shows the ability to cover a 3, he could find a spot in the NBA. Jmho

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back