• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MBB Game #22, (L, 64-59), Mon, 1/22 @ Ohio State (#13) (16-4) (6-0), 7:00pm CST, BTN

Coulda, woulda, shoulda game last night. It wasn't necessarily a must-win for NCAA hopes, but it sure would have been nice. IMO, NU has to go 8-1 through the end of the regular season to get into NCAA consideration. Even 7-2 won't do much, because the only "quality" (and I use that term loosely for the rest of the schedule) team left is Maryland. Plus, the B1G Tourney won't be much help in boosting the resume, because the top 4 get a double bye, and those are the only teams that can help NU's case.

Official Box Score:
upload_2018-1-23_10-6-17.png

upload_2018-1-23_10-7-17.png

For all the offensive talent on this team, this is a very poor, poor, poor, offensively coached team.

No if's, and's, but's, or maybe's about it.

I hate the style of offense, but it’s commonplace in the NCAA these days. Structured O’s are few and far between. Miles wasn’t the guy dribbling the clock away when we didn’t get a shot after a TO. Miles didn’t tell Gill to just keep backing up and heaving the ball when he was obviously struggling from the field. And is Watson going to be a floor general, or not? Guys have to use their frickin heads, and if they aren’t, I expect players to do some peer coaching.

One of the players (don't remember who now), got on Duby after his foul of having his feet spread to far. When he went off the court Miles said something as well and Duby walked off all PO'd.

Last edited:
One of the players (don't remember who now), got on Duby after his foul of having his feet spread to far. When he went off the court Miles said something as well and Duby walked off all PO'd.
The part of that which was a pisser was the whole ‘legs too wide’. If a guy is using his legs to hook or trip you, fine, it’s an appropriate call. But in this case the defender ran in the middle of Duby’s chest, so legs weren’t an issue, and it’s a poor call.

Last edited:
Dang, thought the HUSKERS were going to pull this one out. A solid effort by the HUSKERS for almost the whole game, last couple minutes it got away from them. Hopefully they finish the season strong and get a shot at the NCAA tournament. Thanks gang for the pbp. As always, job well done.

Today. on BTN Live, praised OSU kid, but did not mention Palmer of his game!

I’m not in love with taking the ball to the rim all the time if the 3 isn’t falling. A guy can get a feel and his stroke back with some mid range jumpers. We have far too many plays of guys driving and getting hung in the air with no place to go with the ball. Get a screen, come off for a quick pull up and get your rhythm back.

As for Jordy and Okeke, I think they did exactly what Miles wanted; go in and be aggressive. Jordy was getting good position and calling for the ball on O, and was physical and aggressive on D. Roby can’t play that role, because he can’t afford the fouls, so the big boys are going to take that responsibility as long as we play a small lineup.

Well obviously I don't mean all the time, but it was easy to see how Palmer driving once or twice gave him a few extra inches to get off a 3 as well. Sure guys can get stuck, but you have to at least show the threat of the drive. Roby tried on that corner 3, a pump and go, but got his pocket picked... but I appreciated the thought. If the ball doesn't get poked away, Roby slams that thing home.

And I'm sure to a point they did what Miles wanted, but I would also guess he wouldn't mind seeing them stay on the court a little longer too to help with that defense and rebounding. And yes, that should be both of their responsibilities right now because neither are gifted offensive players, but there is a difference between being aggressive and just coming in, not moving your feet and hacking at the first guy who gets near you.

One of the things I hope that Copeland focuses on in the offseason is not being a bone-head. He seems to make boneheaded passes every game, sometimes tries to dribble through guards, or take a crazy shot early in the shot clock. He might be the most talented kid on the floor, but he needs to get his basketball sense sharpened if possible

Well obviously I don't mean all the time, but it was easy to see how Palmer driving once or twice gave him a few extra inches to get off a 3 as well. Sure guys can get stuck, but you have to at least show the threat of the drive. Roby tried on that corner 3, a pump and go, but got his pocket picked... but I appreciated the thought. If the ball doesn't get poked away, Roby slams that thing home.

And I'm sure to a point they did what Miles wanted, but I would also guess he wouldn't mind seeing them stay on the court a little longer too to help with that defense and rebounding. And yes, that should be both of their responsibilities right now because neither are gifted offensive players, but there is a difference between being aggressive and just coming in, not moving your feet and hacking at the first guy who gets near you.
Driving when the lane or opposition is favorable is always expected. Driving to prove you can may happen once a game. Driving because you think you have no other options tells me you weren’t paying attention to the shot clock, or your teammates are standing around, or you aren’t seeing the whole court. I saw numerous kickout opportunities that were ignored as one of our guys spastically drove into a defender. We aren’t keeping defenders honest when we ignore our passing options.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back