• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Mark Philipp

Yes, I didn't like Dobson, didn't lift from the ground at all.

That was one of the ways MP was handcuffed, yes. If you couldn't hire who you wanted because some guy not around the program wanted a certain person there, you don't think you are handcuffed a bit? Come on man.
Agree to disagree. I'll side with BE's opinion, and hiring practices, over a rookie PAC12 guy any day.

Sounds like you are blaming the previous staff and Boyd Epley for MP's failures. It doesn't take long to learn to lift from the ground, if a coach can't teach that quickly...he sucks. And, I find it hard to believe that Epley was on the wrong side of demanding intense and fundamentally sound workouts. I don't doubt MP and BE butted heads some...still that's a weak excuse for producing the poor conditioning we all witnessed. BTW, if you believe Benning and Peter, Epley rarely showed up in the weight room back in the 90's, I wouldn't imagine he gets in there very often now...it isn't his job to train the FB players, that was MP's job. MP was inexperienced and likely another bad hire, just my opinion.
So glad you chose to share it. As usual it was spellbinding, riveting and worthy of about 10% of the amount of time it took to read.

Agree to disagree. I'll side with BE's opinion, and hiring practices, over a rookie PAC12 guy any day.
You apparently forgot Boyd lost his way at one time while strength coach. That hurt the program. I’m hoping he remembers this while participating this time.

Previous S&C staff to Philipp was Bo's S&C staff. You remember? The guy that never lifted from the ground for 7 years.

Epley "handcuffed" Philipps by trying to "insert his opinion"? Weak.
Actually, weak is not considering the opinions of others, especially if they are more knowledgeable in nearly every facet of life. Weakest Fan of All seems more appropriate.

Unless Duval wants Epley’s advice, I agree. It is Duval’s job to handle the S&C program his way. Since he did learn from Epley, We shall see what he wants to do. At least we know he won’t be micromanaged by Moos.

So glad you chose to share it. As usual it was spellbinding, riveting and worthy of about 10% of the amount of time it took to read.
LOL, at you and Mack...no substance.

Sorry, if I don't buy into ***'s argument that Bo's staff was to blame, as well as the offered opinions of the greatest S&C coach in CFB history. He only had 3 years to do something that should take half that time.

Last edited:

After reading all the replies, I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. There was a lot of dysfunction and meddling. I’m not sure I can give MP a complete pass which if you read ***’s original post, that is what the tone appeared to be. I don’t give MP a pass anymore than Cav. Having said that MP restrained coaches very well on the sideline to avoid a sideline interference penalty.

Lastly, I’m all for giving Duvall complete autonomy from BE, which I’m sure Frost already has that figured out. I think we stunk on all levels last year. Administrators, coaches and players. We now seem to have a total cleanse which may take 2-4 years, but I’m more than optimistic. GBR!!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back