• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Man, these Playoffs sure are exciting

Because 8 teams WILL include all 5 p5 champs. That eats up 5 spots. A SENSIBLE rule would be that you have to at least play in your conf. title game (eliminating the chance to have 3)....i.e. win your division or be quiet.
So IF Northwestern would have been able to beat tOSU in the B1G championship ... you'd be OK with them in the playoff? I wouldn't. They're not one of the best teams in college regardless of what measurable you create!

So IF Northwestern would have been able to beat tOSU in the B1G championship ... you'd be OK with them in the playoff? I wouldn't. They're not one of the best teams in college regardless of what measurable you create!
If they were good enough to beat them than maybe you would have changed your mind a little. Because what you think about Nwu is what should seed the playoffs. (Sarcasm).

Essentially the playoffs would start with the conference championship games. Everybody has a chance to prove their supremacy starting with game 1. The whole season matters...win your division and you are in the playoffs. So an 8 team playoff is really a 16 team playoff. In that scenario tell me who really gets left out? So northwestern beats OSU in the first round...so be it.

So I get that guaranteeing the P5 champs doesn't REALLY make it a 16 team playoff because there are only 5 P5 games, right? But I think you get what I mean. Every division winner is basically in the playoffs. Then we leave 3 spots open for a G5 team, Notre Dame, BYU or a case like Georgia.

There are some realities that people need to face:

1. The playoff thing is NOT going away. Period.

2. It is virtually certain that it will expand to 8.

3. I believe that there is no chance it goes to 8 without the p5 champs being included. You're going to need to get all conference commissioners on board and that ain't happening without the champs getting in. It is not going to be a "top 8" scenario.

Sure...eventually a "Northwestern" is going to upset an OSU. So what?

I think they are just looking at a reason to complain. I thought it was a decent game too although I think Alabama lost some of its Mojo with the big lead. I think the Alabama/Clemson game will be great too. Not sure why people are boycotting it and blaming ESPN for the issues. Going to more than 4 games and giving bye's to conference champions would not made Washington in the playoffs any more exciting. If Clemson blew out Washington like they did Notre Dame they would have complained about that too.
Washington or northwestern in the playoffs may result in a lopsided game or maybe not. You never know how well game planned and ready the players might be. Any time two teams lineup a blowout is a possibility. It's also possible that there will many intriguing games. Maybe it's Notre Dame that is the outlier here. Or maybe your eye test has already decided it's Washington. Maybe Washington just caught tOsu saying goodbye to the Urb.

There are some realities that people need to face:

1. The playoff thing is NOT going away. Period.
Agreed

2. It is virtually certain that it will expand to 8.
I agree with this as well ... only because that is the next rabbit that is pulled out of the hat during TV negotiations. "See here are 4 more games of elite competition ... give me another $1B."

3. I believe that there is no chance it goes to 8 without the p5 champs being included. You're going to need to get all conference commissioners on board and that ain't happening without the champs getting in. It is not going to be a "top 8" scenario.
I agree ... I also think the G5 will insist on one member to avoid any anti-trust lawsuits. Then 6 of your 8 are pre-defined with only 2 wild cards.

Sure...eventually a "Northwestern" is going to upset an OSU. So what?
Then don't call it a college football playoff because you will NEVER have the best 8 teams in the playoffs ... it will be college football's answer to a beauty pageant.

Washington or northwestern in the playoffs may result in a lopsided game or maybe not. You never know how well game planned and ready the players might be. Any time two teams lineup a blowout is a possibility. It's also possible that there will many intriguing games. Maybe it's Notre Dame that is the outlier here. Or maybe your eye test has already decided it's Washington. Maybe Washington just caught tOsu saying goodbye to the Urb.
Then you've watered down the playoffs ... its no longer the best 8 teams ... its the teams who were fortunate enough to win their conference.

The regular season no longer means anything ... Just the conference season. You'll have teams no longer playing strong non-conference games because - why should they ... win your conference and your in!

Then don't call it a college football playoff because you will NEVER have the best 8 teams in the playoffs ... it will be college football's answer to a beauty pageant.

Is ANY playoff billed as the ____ best? We all know that the NCAA tourney isn't a top 68 or that the NFL playoffs the 12 "best" or etc...

If they were good enough to beat them than maybe you would have changed your mind a little. Because what you think about Nwu is what should seed the playoffs. (Sarcasm).
Well even if they did beat Ohio State they still didn't earn it on the field losing every single non-conference game. That's embarrassing to think people would support a system that could put a team in as an automatic qualifier from a conference when they were 0-3 in non-conference. That isn't earning it on the field. The rest of the conferences would be screaming holy hell and they would be justified.

Well even if they did beat Ohio State they still didn't earn it on the field losing every single non-conference game. That's embarrassing to think people would support a system that could put a team in as an automatic qualifier from a conference when they were 0-3 in non-conference. That isn't earning it on the field. The rest of the conferences would be screaming holy hell and they would be justified.
How does the song go? “We just disagree”

Let’s just rename “conference play” to “ playoff bracket”

Problem solved!

Seems like more teams would be of little benefit.

A #8 seed would upset Bama on the road?
Same story with 7 seed and Clemson.

A playoff only favors the teams that come on strong, late (tOSU 4 yrs ago, Colorado 2001).

As an aside, when the hell is Sabin going to get hired away, or retire? Dayam.

Colorado, 1991???

I think it would be boring, even if we scrapped the playoff and went back to the old system. Still just Bama and Clemson, again. The other bowls still don't matter, at all. All of the arguments I have heard against playoff still apply to the old system, except the argument about adding "controversy" back to college football. I'd much rather have played Michigan in 97 and settled it on the field, than hear their delusions about being the real national champions 20+ years later. You want controversy, go watch Jerry Springer. ;-)

Last edited:
I watched football all day Tuesday. I got to See Georgia against Texas, Ohio State against Washington and LSU against UCF. If we had expanded to 8 teams in the playoff those matchups wouldn't have occurred. Instead we would have added Clemson and Alabama into the mix again. If you get tired of seeing Clemson and Alabama in a 4 team playoff the only thing you are adding to the mix is 4 more games with Alabama and Clemson making up two of them. I guess everyone must want to watch those guys more.

As far as thinking you are going to have some great matchups by expanding to 8........you can still watch great football matchups by watching the bowl game. The new years games/match ups were much more exciting games than were the semi finals in the playoff. Expanding to 8 just means Clemson and Alabama will get first round games that will be even more dominate than their second round.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back