• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Man, these Playoffs sure are exciting

What happens when you have like 90 teams involved. Just shows many many do not belong

That's my fear about expanding the CFB playoff. I was all in favor of expanding the bball tournament to more than 64 teams to give schools like Belmont, St. Mary's, etc, a berth if they end up losing in their conference tournament final. All the committee did was let in more mediocre P5 teams. If we expand the CFB playoff to 8 to give a UCF or someone like that a shot, how do we know they won't just let in 3 SEC or Big 10 teams?

This pretty much nails it. Too many people are tired of Alabama and Clemson so they want to expand the playoff so they can see more Alabama and Clemson blow-outs. Seems silly.
Being tired of bama and Clemson has no bearing on why most people want an 8 team playoff.

That's my fear about expanding the CFB playoff. I was all in favor of expanding the bball tournament to more than 64 teams to give schools like Belmont, St. Mary's, etc, a berth if they end up losing in their conference tournament final. All the committee did was let in more mediocre P5 teams. If we expand the CFB playoff to 8 to give a UCF or someone like that a shot, how do we know they won't just let in 3 SEC or Big 10 teams?
Because 8 teams WILL include all 5 p5 champs. That eats up 5 spots. A SENSIBLE rule would be that you have to at least play in your conf. title game (eliminating the chance to have 3)....i.e. win your division or be quiet.

Because 8 teams WILL include all 5 p5 champs. That eats up 5 spots. A SENSIBLE rule would be that you have to at least play in your conf. title game (eliminating the chance to have 3)....i.e. win your division or be quiet.

I would agree with that, but I highly doubt they'd agree to that rule. This would be a lot easier if conferences got rid of divisions and the top 2 played in the title game.

I WILL be watching Monday and rooting for Dabo. It's a long wait after that for some college ball. Sigh.

Yep - me too, going to be a long time before we see college football again.

I watched almost all the bowl games while on vacation, kind of a college football junky needing a fix. :)

tv share, attendance.
Attendance on a downward ever since the peak of 2012 when they initiated the plus 4. Last year was the worst since the 4 additional games were added.
upload_2019-1-2_10-24-25.png

Last edited:
If I am reading this right the we should go back to the old way and skip right to Bama/Clemson so people can pretend like other teams that didn't get to play them could've beat them, instead they were given the chance and squashed the chance to fantasize?

I would say anyone who didn't enjoy the Bama/OU game either quit watching assuming it would be a blow out or is just looking for a reason to complain.

Attendance on a downward ever since the peak of 2012 when they initiated the plus 4. Last year was the worst since the 4 additional games were added.
View attachment 19709

It would be interesting to match up actual attendance with the TV viewing numbers to see if there is any trending up or down on the TV side.

My completely uneducated guess is that TV viewership is up with more people having access to ESPN and Fox through streaming and the non-cable options.

Overall if the TV numbers are up it means more Ad $$'s but lost revenue at the physical host cities. Not sure if a good thing?

If I am reading this right the we should go back to the old way and skip right to Bama/Clemson so people can pretend like other teams that didn't get to play them could've beat them, instead they were given the chance and squashed the chance to fantasize?

I would say anyone who didn't enjoy the Bama/OU game either quit watching assuming it would be a blow out or is just looking for a reason to complain.
I think they are just looking at a reason to complain. I thought it was a decent game too although I think Alabama lost some of its Mojo with the big lead. I think the Alabama/Clemson game will be great too. Not sure why people are boycotting it and blaming ESPN for the issues. Going to more than 4 games and giving bye's to conference champions would not made Washington in the playoffs any more exciting. If Clemson blew out Washington like they did Notre Dame they would have complained about that too.

I would agree with that, but I highly doubt they'd agree to that rule. This would be a lot easier if conferences got rid of divisions and the top 2 played in the title game.
They will agree to p5 champs...imo there's.no way 8 happens without. The conferences just aren't going to agree to less than that. From there that leaves 3 teams. I think it would be extremely rare for 1 conference to gobble up 2 of those 3 spots. Regardless, I wouldn't scrap the idea for fear of the extremely rare...

They will agree to p5 champs...imo there's.no way 8 happens without. The conferences just aren't going to agree to less than that. From there that leaves 3 teams. I think it would be extremely rare for 1 conference to gobble up 2 of those 3 spots. Regardless, I wouldn't scrap the idea for fear of the extremely rare...

I agree with you, but there does need to be some more uniformity among conferences and transparency as to how the teams are selected.

Blow outs occur in the early rounds of Basketball yet march madness get's bigger every year.
They expanded to 64 teams in 1985.
The current 68 team expansion was completed in 2010 (more due to a reaction of the number of conferences eligible to qualify for the tournament increased) .

So the number of teams is unchanged for quite some time.

The second best part of the tournament is selection day as we debate over the 6 or so "deserving" teams left out of the tournament.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back