• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Man, these Playoffs sure are exciting

I’m just so happy they have this super exciting system in place. And all these other bowl games that have such a dramatic affect and/or implications on the top 4 spots makes for fantastic January and December drama.
and so the argument begins for the need of more teams:Sleep:

I’m just so happy they have this super exciting system in place. And all these other bowl games that have such a dramatic affect and/or implications on the top 4 spots makes for fantastic January and December drama.

Every college football division except Div 1 has a playoff too. The only reason why Div 1 hasn’t adopted a true larger field for a playoff is the idiotic bowl system and tie ins that Conferences STILL have. It’s an idiotic system that serves very little purpose.
:O O: Sure lets open the playoffs to more blow-outs. Georgia by many people's account was the 3rd best team in the country ... does that mean Texas should've been included in an 8-team playoff? Expanding the playoffs seems to me like its "dumbing down" admittance requirements. Rather than forcing teams to elevate their performance. Rather than having admittance to a select few. Lets invite everyone.:rolleyes:

What's wrong with the bowl system? The New Year's Six bowls are still something to watch.

We had 1 blow-out (Clemson-ND) in the playoff and another game that wasn't as close as the final score indicated. You're going to solve that by inviting MORE teams to the playoffs?

Who didn't get invited to this year's playoff that should have been? Georgie - yeah good job against Texas. USF - 4th best team in the SEC just manhandled them! tOSU - had their chance and blew it against Purdue (who got boat raced in their bowl game).

Whether its a 2-team, 4-team or 8-team playoff ... you're never going to have consensus on who the best teams are ... the regular season means something still, Conference championships mean something still ... expanding to 8-teams will eventually allow 3-loss teams into the playoff. Talk about watering down the product.

The two best teams are meeting Monday night to play for the championship ... its the way it should be!

Last edited:

:O O: Sure lets open the playoffs to more blow-outs. Georgia by many people's account was the 3rd best team in the country ... does that mean Texas should've been included in an 8-team playoff? Expanding the playoffs seems to me like its "dumbing down" admittance requirements. Rather than forcing teams to elevate their performance. Rather than having admittance to a select few. Lets invite everyone.:rolleyes:

What's wrong with the bowl system? The New Year's Six bowls are still something to watch.

We had 1 blow-out (Clemson-ND) in the playoff and another game that wasn't as close as the final score indicated. You're going to solve that by inviting MORE teams to the playoffs?

Who didn't get invited to this year's playoff that should have been? Georgie - yeah good job against Texas. USF - 4th best team in the SEC just manhandled them! tOSU - had their chance and blew it against Purdue (who got boat raced in their bowl game).

Whether its a 2-team, 4-team or 8-team playoff ... you're never going to have consensus on who the best teams are ... the regular season means something still, Conference championships mean something still ... expanding to 8-teams will eventually allow 3-loss teams into the playoff. Talk about watering down the product.

The two best teams are meeting Monday night to play for the championship ... its the way it should be!
This pretty much nails it. Too many people are tired of Alabama and Clemson so they want to expand the playoff so they can see more Alabama and Clemson blow-outs. Seems silly.

This whole conversation is too complicated.

Its always been a debate between 'knowing' in your heart and mind who is the 'best' team as all the 'experts' claim they know, verses a system that could crown a champion. Granted, a tournament could incur an upset along the way and cause the 'best' team to not get crowned the champion. But the one thing that will always occur in a tournament, a champion will be crowned.  

QUOTE]

I think this nails it pretty well. I want a definitive champion crowned with 'on the field' results. The current selection 'probably' has the best two teams, Clemson and Alabama. Georgia proved once again the SEC appears to be over hyped. That clouds my 'Alabama is best' view substantially. If Texas can beat an 11 1/2 point spread and actually WIN the game perhaps Bama is beatable too by a NON SEC team.

For my wish list, I would stop at 8 teams, 5 conference champs and three 'next best' or the process will get too long and talent diluted. That way conference playoff games matter for all. Every conference gets a seat at the table and maybe, just maybe a UCF, Boise or some other team can sneak in. If they get blown out, too bad, they had a shot to show what they could do.

For those of you that like to argue for decades, the pre-title game scenarios work for you. You seem to like the ambiguity and mythical 'best' team. I respect that as it is fun for discussion, I just want definitive results. I don't trust ESPN, the polls or the coaches to know who is actually the top team when the P% confere4nces seldom play another top team in season. I am not a lemming to believe the pollsters always get it right.

The Pro's don't have any question who the champion is every season. You can still argue if a team was unlucky, but more talented, but the on field results matter every played game.

Blow outs occur in the early rounds of Basketball yet march madness get's bigger every year.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back