• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Lifetime Contract for Harbaugh?

Please let him do it :Lol: The luster is already wearing off. It will take spotlight off of us & in 3-5 years we can enjoy the dumpster fire.

IMO just proves how misplaced colleges priorities really have become.... Lifetime contract? So recruits will sign on the dotted line? Talk about some flawed logic....... :Rolf::Rolf::Rolf:

I couldn’t agree more. Coaches are making more than 100 teaching faculty COMBINED. It is way, way out of whack. The top 5 to 7 in each P5 conference have become quasi-pro sports. NFL Jr.

I don’t like it. I’m watching high school ball more and more as a result.

I think a lifetime contract is absurd but honestly, Harbaugh is the best they’ll ever do. Similar to Frost at Nebraska... best we’ll ever do.

Last edited:

I think a lifetime contract is absurd but honestly, Harbaugh is the best they’ll ever do. Similar to Frost at Nebraska... best we’ll ever do.
Maybe it's just me, but I thought Bo Schembechler was pretty good at Michigan, and Devaney and Osborne did ok at NU. I don't think anything qualifies either for the "best" description, neither one has done much of anything to earn it.

Last edited:
Even if he has a “stud” QB (how many of those actually pan out by the way?). Stud QB means you have the “tools” to be great. Talk to me after they translate those tools to game day. Even if he does have a stud QB, best you get is 4 years if everything goes right.

I’m not convinced that Harbaugh is a great coach. He had Andrew Luck at Stanford which sure helped out. His 49ers imploded. He’s a loudmouth cult of personality. He has a big time name. That’s it so far. I see no innovation in what he’s doing, so I guess he’s counting on recruiting a superior talent. That is not sufficient though for success.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought Bo Schembechler was pretty good at Michigan, and Devaney and Osborne did ok at NU. I don't think anything qualifies either for the "best" description, neither one has done much of anything to earn it.
Exactly the same thoughts regarding the best ever at either school. If SF does just 80% of what BD or TO did I'd be thrilled beyond belief. That's not a knock on Frost just saying both BD and TO are HOF coaches and that's not easy to do.........

Even if he has a “stud” QB (how many of those actually pan out by the way?). Stud QB means you have the “tools” to be great. Talk to me after they translate those tools to game day. Even if he does have a stud QB, best you get is 4 years if everything goes right.

I’m not convinced that Harbaugh is a great coach. He had Andrew Luck at Stanford which sure helped out. His 49ers imploded. He’s a loudmouth cult of personality. He has a big time name. That’s it so far. I see no innovation in what he’s doing, so I guess he’s counting on recruiting a superior talent. That is not sufficient though for success.
Hey Chi.... you just hit it out of the park IMO! I believe JH is a pretty big BLOW HARD in many of the things he does and says. He's had some early on success but for the idiots at MEECHICKEN to be elevating him to "GREAT" status at this time is just plain stupid. Jimmy needs to win something like the BIG followed by a NC. After perhaps 10 to 15 years of winning at 80%+ his name could be mentioned with real "GREAT" coaches...

Folks today have really conflated the terms.. GOOD and GREAT! I personally see a wide gap between those terms and seldom bestow the term of "GREAT" on anyone!

Just because a lifetime contract might be in place it doesn't mean he's getting $6 million a year for life. It may mean. he has a reasonbly competitive buyout clause but they've added in an annual pension that pays far, far less.

Just because a lifetime contract might be in place it doesn't mean he's getting $6 million a year for life. It may mean. he has a reasonbly competitive buyout clause but they've added in an annual pension that pays far, far less.
Maybe he just wants a company jet like Roger Goodell

So does this mean U of Mich kills Harbaugh if he has 6-5 type seasons? Or is Harbaugh required to commit hari-kari?
Certainly raises the stakes. If more teams did this I think we'd have lots more coaches offering to resign if things weren't working out. ;)

So what exactly is a "lifetime" contract? Sounds like an idiotic idea that would require dozens of different legal codicils to cancel it for hundreds of possible reasons.

IMO just proves how misplaced colleges priorities really have become.... Lifetime contract? So recruits will sign on the dotted line? Talk about some flawed logic....... :Rolf::Rolf::Rolf:
Maybe they should just start offering tenure for coaches. It would be impossible to fire them!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back