• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Immediate transfer eligibility under review

It's the problem with the necessity to "establish a relationship" with a coach during recruiting. I know it's the easy thing to do and everybody else is doing it, but coaches need to sell the university to kids, not their personality.
Even if you are someone like Frost, recruiting to his alma mater, this still doesn't work unless the recruit is already in love with the institution. Coaches will already promote what the school has to offer, but promoting the school as an institution, in an abstract sense? You better be Ivy League, Notre Dame, or equivalent.

Even if you are someone like Frost, recruiting to his alma mater, this still doesn't work unless the recruit is already in love with the institution. Coaches will already promote what the school has to offer, but promoting the school as an institution, in an abstract sense? You better be Ivy League, Notre Dame, or equivalent.
I get that it's not easy but this "establishing relationship" thing seems relatively new. Maybe it's happened all along and it just wasn't mentioned all the time as it is now. At least sell the program (again, easier for blue blood programs).

I could see where this would lead alot of teams to hanging on to a number of schollies for the transfer portal to open. Could mean less total schollies going to HS kids but then more going to walkons if schools cant fill up the 85. On the whole would think it would help Power 5/blueblood teams more than group of 5.

I get that it's not easy but this "establishing relationship" thing seems relatively new. Maybe it's happened all along and it just wasn't mentioned all the time as it is now. At least sell the program (again, easier for blue blood programs).
We (men) didn't talk this way 40 years ago: building relationships, making connections, etc. Coaches like Osborne and Bowden were doing that and stressing that but without using that language. We're now supposed to be focused on feelings, even when we shouldn't be.

This is the drum that I beat relentlessly because there are few things more significant: Don't overlook the significance of fatherlessness. Bear Bryant, Bud Wilkinson, Woody Hayes, et al. were A-holes when it came to how they treated their players, but almost all of their players had dads at home, so they didn't expect/need their coach to take his place. Our culture now talks endlessly about everyone's feelings and how important they are while ignoring the social cancer that fatherlessness is as it eats away at the emotional well-being of ever more generations of children.

For an example of this in other areas, as a teacher I'm often told, even demanded, to lower my standards for kids dealing with difficult home-lives because there's a false faith that a father can be replaced. The irony is that what these students most often need is more structure and firmer discipline, which are the very things that teachers like me emphasize, yet we're pushed to soften.

Last edited:

But if you follow the Ohio State happenings this year he should have had it right away and not part way into the season.
That was strictly a timing thing. The rules changed in June and Vedral had to reapply. The actual reason for the approval in both cases ere equally questionable.

NCAA needs to go away.
Indeed. As a former professor it is clear that the NCAA + intercollegiate athletics are destroying American Universities. Get rid of public subsidies for "college sports" and force the profiteers (NFL, NBA, etc) to take ownership of this disaster before we have to send our kids to China for a decent graduate education.

Indeed. As a former professor it is clear that the NCAA + intercollegiate athletics are destroying American Universities. Get rid of public subsidies for "college sports" and force the profiteers (NFL, NBA, etc) to take ownership of this disaster before we have to send our kids to China for a decent graduate education.
Could you please elaborate a little on this? I’ve never heard this before and am just curious on the matter...

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back