• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

I Demonstrate Specific 3-4 Defensive Line Techniques (With My Kids Help)

For many years now you can hold the Jersey/pads as long as you stay within the frame of the shoulders. If you stay inside the shoulders, the only way it gets called is if you continue to hold after the play has passed and the player is trying to pull away to follow the play.
Huskerthom- Is absolutely correct in everything he said.

Basically if you have your hands inside the framework of the body & on the breastplate, it not only gives you the best position to win at the line of scrimmage, but you will not be called for holding. When your hands get outside the framework of the body that's when holding will be called, especially because a lot of times that's when the jersey starts getting pulled. The person with outside hand placement also usually loses the down & that's when shenanigans start to happen.

Nice, thanks! :Signthanks:

In this situation, the guy with the lower pad level does not seem to have an advantage.

Andre-the-Giant-h2.jpg

On the other hand, sometimes a low pad level can be quite intimidating.

kurupt-line-blood-bullies.jpg

Last edited:
In this situation, the guy with the lower pad level does not seem to have an advantage.

Andre-the-Giant-h2.jpg

On the other hand, sometimes a low pad level can be quite intimidating.

kurupt-line-blood-bullies.jpg
But if you notice, Andre has inside hand placement. It's a bit higher than I'd like though.

That dog is yoked. I wonder how much he close grip bench presses?!

Last edited:

But if you notice, Andre has inside hand placement. It's a bit higher than I'd like though.

That dog is yoked. I wonder how much he close grip bench presses?!

Not sure, but I think he could give you a run for your money.

Last edited:
In all seriousness with the judo pictures that have been posted. Wrestling is a huge part of Judo, Ju Jitsu, MMA and so on etc... Wrestling/leverage is also a huge part of playing in the trenches. So showing the hand placement/technique in those pictures that have been posted is actually pretty accurate. If you think about it the trenches is filled with big guys trying to kick each others butts. So there's a reason there's a lot of crossover between playing O and D Line, wrestling & self defense.

Love the video, Mr Carriker. I like to add the shiv, that is the strike to the opponent in the midsection with the hand closest to centerline. On contact with the shiv you then slide the hand up to the lip of the shoulder pads. Your technique was more describing nose-on or head up technique. In those cases both hands shiv, and one can't dismiss the notion that a forehead is buried into the opponent at contact. Our high school coach used to demonstrate head butt & hands technique with the addendum he can't teach us it nor condone it. But sure as butter, it worked pretty slick. Our college coaches forbade talking in front of them about head butt & hands, but would ask the older fellas to 'work with' the younger fellas to basically learn exactly that. I know it works well, because at my underweight size of 220 pounds in college I could decleat just about anyone using it if they let me get their chest. It is, after all, about winning hand position. Winner has to fight to keep it.

Whatever happened to getting into the defender's legs and trying to knock him off his feet, opening up running lanes?

Is that a penalty? You know, BLOCKING?

Athletes are too darn fast at recovery today to rely on cutting them down every time. Physically relocating a guy with hand position is priceless. At a minimum, when you have hand position, you have control over whether or not the guy can slip off the block. It's awfully difficult to shed a block if you do not own hand position. You might be able to fall in the path of the runningback, but that offensive guy is disrupting your ability to reach for a tackle.

Whatever happened to getting into the defender's legs and trying to knock him off his feet, opening up running lanes?

Is that a penalty? You know, BLOCKING?
Cut blocks are really affective in wide zone running schemes like what Coach Shannahan ran in DC with us. We led the league in rushing with that scheme. Georgia Tech uses that blocking technique affectively in their option offense and so does Navy. But unless you're going to dedicate your entire running scheme and in large part your offense around this type of blocking, it's hard to only do it sporadically. If the O-line isn't used to doing it and you have guys wiffing on defensive players, those guys are now completely unblocked. Also, running any sort of power or double teams plays is impossible with cut blocks. But they are still affective when used properly and fending off cut blocks is a completely different type of technique.

I'd much have rather faced a cut blocking team than one that had great hand technique. Defeating cut blocks is mostly about maintaining separation and your angle of pursuit, whereas defeating hand position is complicated. There are quite a few techniques to blocking and the OL needs to be good at all of the techniques. I just don't remember during the course of last season, seeing our guys using hand position on the offensive side of the ball.

But you're correct, cut blocking has its place. So do hooks, reaches, cross pulls, trap pulls, etc.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back