• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Huskers fans should pay close attention to the Rams defense today

For a team to beat the Rams defense (which has double digit one year players on it) without having any thing resembling a deep ball threat is amazing. I'd stack that Rams defense up agains t any in the league - easily. The Patriots did an amazing job in schemeing, planning and execution, and again showed just how good their offense line is, the unit on their team that almost never gets the credit it deserves fot the team's success..
I agree. The Pats' O-line and D-line were excellent, and their special teams showed no weaknesses. You can win a lot of championships with those 3 things.

This article does a pretty good job of looking at some of the things that were done in the game from an X's and O's standpoint, including video cut-ups of key plays. There are several good observations about the defenses of both teams.
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/...lichick-wade-phillips-defense-super-bowl-liii
Thanks.... excellent article to understand how the Rams were shut down. BTW this article quote is why I previoiusly said the Rams pass rush wasn't all that good imo. Not to say their defense wasn't very good but not good enough.......

After throwing shutouts against the Chargers and Chiefs, the New England offensive line finally allowed a sack against the Rams. But outside of that play, the pass protection was virtually flawless. The Pats blanked Aaron Donald and Ndamukong Suh, who combined for two QB hits the entire game.

Last edited:

Thanks.... excellent article to understand how the Rams were shut down. BTW this article quote is why I previoiusly said the Rams pass rush wasn't all that good imo. Not to say their defense wasn't very good but not good enough.......
You're a Patriots fan, right? I think that you're selling your O-line and O-line coach short. The Rams defense was clicking on all cylinders coming into that game, and I don't think that there was another defensive line that would have matched up better against the Patriots. The fact that they did what they did could be because the Rams D-line wasn't that good, but what I saw was an O-line made up of everybody else's leftovers that was able to move and double-team and pick up blitzes as well as I've ever seen an O-line do it. Belichick is the greatest NFL coach of all time, but part of his genius is recognizing other coaching talent, bringing them in, and keeping them. It's not a coincidence that he let Patricia go but went into overtime to keep McDaniels. It's not a coincidence that he got the O-line coach to come back out of retirement. It seems like part of Belichick's excellence at evaluation is that he also knows whose opinions to value. He says that he got onto Edelman based on another coach's recommendation. When you think about how many "recommendations" a guy in Belichick's position probably gets, a top priority is figuring out whose voice matters. He's the best at it. He does the same with evaluating the combination of player talent and personality.

You're a Patriots fan, right? I think that you're selling your O-line and O-line coach short. The Rams defense was clicking on all cylinders coming into that game, and I don't think that there was another defensive line that would have matched up better against the Patriots. The fact that they did what they did could be because the Rams D-line wasn't that good, but what I saw was an O-line made up of everybody else's leftovers that was able to move and double-team and pick up blitzes as well as I've ever seen an O-line do it. Belichick is the greatest NFL coach of all time, but part of his genius is recognizing other coaching talent, bringing them in, and keeping them. It's not a coincidence that he let Patricia go but went into overtime to keep McDaniels. It's not a coincidence that he got the O-line coach to come back out of retirement. It seems like part of Belichick's excellence at evaluation is that he also knows whose opinions to value. He says that he got onto Edelman based on another coach's recommendation. When you think about how many "recommendations" a guy in Belichick's position probably gets, a top priority is figuring out whose voice matters. He's the best at it. He does the same with evaluating the combination of player talent and personality.

Scarnecchia is certainly one of the ALL TIME best offensive line coaches. When he was gone in 2014 and 15 the Pats offensive line suffered... along with Brady getting knocked around a lot. When Scarnecchia came out of retirement the offensive line greatly improved. The proof is two SB apperaences back to back. The Eagles did a great job harrassing Brady but they still put up 33 points while the Rams held them to 13!

To your point Belichick did another masterful job against the Rams. McVay admitted he was clearly out coached but I admit he's done a fantastic job with the Rams. It's going to be a super tough division with the Rams and Seattle next season imo. Won't be surprised to see the Rams or Saints back for the SB next season....

Scarnecchia is certainly one of the ALL TIME best offensive line coaches. When he was gone in 2014 and 15 the Pats offensive line suffered... along with Brady getting knocked around a lot. When Scarnecchia came out of retirement the offensive line greatly improved. The proof is two SB apperaences back to back. The Eagles did a great job harrassing Brady but they still put up 33 points while the Rams held them to 13!

To your point Belichick did another masterful job against the Rams. McVay admitted he was clearly out coached but I admit he's done a fantastic job with the Rams. It's going to be a super tough division with the Rams and Seattle next season imo. Won't be surprised to see the Rams or Saints back for the SB next season....
The Rams have some challenges ... they prospered with a roster made up of a QB on his rookie contract. That allowed them to sign Gurley to a large extension, take 1-year fliers on guys like Ndamukong Suh (who's presence made Aaron Donald even that much more effective). Their bill is coming due ... Goff can sign an extension next year, they're not going to be able to keep all of their free agents this year and they have to get Gurley healthy or figure out what his problems were down the stretch. They also benefitted with the Cardinals and 49ers being extremely poor this past year. Both should be improved and the Seahawks made it through turning over their aging roster.

Prediction #1 - Rams don't win their division next year.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back