• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Guilty Pleasure Music

Guilty pleasure .... any tune by The Cars.

I would crank the hell out Cars tunes in my car at age 16 (1985-86).

Fortunately, I'm not alone, as the local public radio station frequently includes The Cars in their playlists of much more current Indie, Folk, Rock, Psych ....

One of my brothers favorite bands.... They were awesome back in the day, and their music has held up very well through the years.

I guess mine would have to be: Carole King, Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, Peter Paul and Mary, Judy Collins, Roberta Flack. Ummm... do I have to turn in my man card? Not to many who cared to hear those in High School or at Old Frat House. (They also didn't like Springsteen, I did).

And as much as I really didn't care to go to Disco's, not all Disco music was that bad. Some is even good.

But in my opinion a true guilty pleasure is one you are really almost ashamed to admit you like, you will deny it...

Well the Bee-Gees would be mine, including the Saturday Night Fever sound track.

My next one is there are a few songs by The Carpenter(s) I like. A few by John Denver.

But my biggest embarrassment ever was: I promised to take my wife to a Barry Manilow concert for her birthday. An out of town business meeting was called for that date; I had to back out of attending in person and participate remotely and tell everyone why I couldn't go. Truth is I also liked some of Manilow's tunes, too.

Every Band or artist you just mentioned I would not consider guilty pleasure. They are all/were great musicians and songwriters. Just because some critic says their music was lame. Most like Rick Ashley just suffered from over exposure. Karen Carpenter had the most beautiful, soothing voice. The Gibb Brothers especially Barry could really write and produce music. I have Rocky Mountain High on a couple of play lists. Springsteen would be the one I really am not a huge fan of. o_O

:Rolf::Rolf::Rolf::Rolf:
tenor.gif

I guess mine would have to be: Carole King, Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, Peter Paul and Mary, Judy Collins, Roberta Flack. Ummm... do I have to turn in my man card? Not to many who cared to hear those in High School or at Old Frat House. (They also didn't like Springsteen, I did).

And as much as I really didn't care to go to Disco's, not all Disco music was that bad. Some is even good.

But in my opinion a true guilty pleasure is one you are really almost ashamed to admit you like, you will deny it...

Well the Bee-Gees would be mine, including the Saturday Night Fever sound track.

My next one is there are a few songs by The Carpenter(s) I like. A few by John Denver.

But my biggest embarrassment ever was: I promised to take my wife to a Barry Manilow concert for her birthday. An out of town business meeting was called for that date; I had to back out of attending in person and participate remotely and tell everyone why I couldn't go. Truth is I also liked some of Manilow's tunes, too.

Every Band or artist you just mentioned I would not consider guilty pleasure. They are all/were great musicians and songwriters. Just because some critic says their music was lame. Most like Rick Ashley just suffered from over exposure. Karen Carpenter had the most beautiful, soothing voice. The Gibb Brothers especially Barry could really write and produce music. I have Rocky Mountain High on a couple of play lists. Springsteen would be the one I really am not a huge fan of. o_O

I guess I might define "guilty pleasure" differently. I don't care much for critics, who I always cared about were peers. I guess as a young teen-aged boy I was insecure and concerned that I'd be ridiculed for my tastes in music. And while most of these artists were respectable they also had their schmaltzy aspects and you could get reprobated for your tastes.

I actually think John Denver wasn't as much of a risk. He got very schmaltzy, but he was associated/wrote a few very good songs. But how many good songs are written by anyone? Rocky Mountain High, Country Roads & Leaving on a Jet Plane are outstanding songs. Look at, say, Laura Nyro and Jimmy Webb. Nyro maybe wrote six really great songs and Webb maybe six to twelve. That just goes to show how writers who have put out dozens of songs are so unusual.

I think The Carpenters were way over exposed, and harmed by their respectability. But yes, ignoring "We've Only Just Begun" - which I blame for an uptick in divorces, Karen sang a lot of great songs, I think "Superstar" is my favorite. I liked the Bee Gees, but there was a perception of them being one step above bubble gum. When we wanted to punish our boys, we'd play the Bee Gees greatest hits for HOURS. But they were clearly talented, yet they had periods where they put out mostly bad stuff.

It was also interesting to see how Manilow was so critical as a producer for other artists. He produced all of Bette Midler's early work (another female artist I liked):Confused:. But she was huge and a leader in 40's music revivals - covering the Andrew's Sisters. While I might not go as far as to say she made room for the Pointer Sisters (they came out the same time), it wasn't so bad to have young groups reviving music of your parents era. What is funny is my son, is really into the 40's music.

Last edited:
I guess I might define "guilty pleasure" differently. I don't care much for critics, who I always cared about were peers. I guess as a young teen-aged boy I was insecure and concerned that I'd be ridiculed for my tastes in music. And while most of these artists were respectable they also had their schmaltzy aspects and you could get reprobated for your tastes.

I actually think John Denver wasn't as much of a risk. He got very schmaltzy, but he was associated/wrote a few very good songs. But how many good songs are written by anyone? Rocky Mountain High, Country Roads & Leaving on a Jet Plane are outstanding songs. Look at, say, Laura Nyro and Jimmy Webb. Nyro maybe wrote six really great songs and Webb maybe six to twelve. That just goes to show how writers who have put out dozens of songs are so unusual.

I think The Carpenters were way over exposed, and harmed by their respectability. But yes, ignoring "We've Only Just Begun" - which I blame for an uptick in divorces, Karen sang a lot of great songs, I think "Superstar" is my favorite. I liked the Bee Gees, but there was a perception of them being one step above bubble gum. When we wanted to punish our boys, we'd play the Bee Gees greatest hits for HOURS.
Why'd you include that quote from me, off of another thread? WTH dude.... LOL.... I have always liked Lionel Richie, but back in the 10th grade and on, no way I told my friends about that....haha, even though I used to torture those same friends with country music when we took my car, Lionel didn't come up, that's what I meant when I said guilty pleasure.

Last edited:
Why'd you include that quote from me, off of another thread? WTH dude.... LOL.... I have always liked Lionel Richie, but back in the 10th grade and on, no way I told my friends about that....haha, even though I used to torture those same friends with country music when we took my car, Lionel didn't come up, that's what I meant when I said guilty pleasure.
Man, I hate how when I click the quote these messages box dozens of posts from unrelated threads come up. I though I had deleted them all. That said, Lionel Richie was more respectable than Bruce Springsteen at Old Frat House... more chicks digged Richie than Springsteen in 1977... Of course, I didn't bring up my bete noir, and a sort of guilty pleasure... BREAD... I guess I got religion from Dave Barry who called them "Weenie Rock"... I cannot listen to a David Gates song without puking... "walk all over me, mistreat me... but I will always love you and be there for you..." well if it gets you what you want... at least in the short term... but it may be a long term bad idea

Last edited:
Man, I hate how when I click the quote these messages box dozens of posts from unrelated threads come up. I though I had deleted them all. That said, Lionel Richie was more respectable than Bruce Springsteen at Old Frat House... more chicks digged Richie than Springsteen in 1977... Of course, I didn't bring up my bete noir, and a sort of guilty pleasure... BREAD... I guess I got religion from Dave Barry who called them "Weenie Rock"... I cannot listen to a David Gates song without puking... "walk all over me, mistreat me... but I will always love you and be there for you..." well if it gets you what you want... at least in the short term... but it may be a long term bad idea

Now Bread that is a guilty pleasure. :eek: I think my sister had every bread album there was in 1974.

I guess I can see what you are saying about what your peers think. When I look at these artist I am looking at them backwards and not what they were thought of when they were producing music in their prime. Yes, Denver, the Carpenters and the Bee Gees were thought of as being lame.

Dont judge. When I hear this I roll all my windows down and sing as loud as I can....

What a sweet voice Christine McVie possessed. Righteous tune.

Fleetwood Mac is the best. And I adore Stevie Nicks ... not a great but unique voice, songwriter and emotional heart. Still playing today ..... upcoming PBA concert; I think this October.

1976. 42 years ago !! She used to be bewitchingly attractive and have magic powers.

Recently .... Stevie appears @2:45 mark

BTW, believe it or not, she's older than me :eek: (70 years old)

Super Bowl Ad. Awesome background song. I admit making my eyes leak. 30 years old or younger didn't like it .............. should have had the horse wearing sun glasses, lots of gold necklaces, derby hat and bopping to some god awful rap "music"

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back