• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Do we have good backups to AM?

If LM is better then any other backup QB then he shouldn't redshirt imo. That however remains to be seen...
I would disagree. He can play 4 games and still preserve his redshirt, and we have Noah Vedral who is familiar with the offense and potentially Andrew Bunch who has a start. You redshirt him and create some space between he and Martinez. If you start getting to where Adrian Martinez is missing 6 or more games, then we can talk. But the thought process should be to preserve his redshirt heading into 2019, and it is.

I would disagree. He can play 4 games and still preserve his redshirt, and we have Noah Vedral who is familiar with the offense and potentially Andrew Bunch who has a start. You redshirt him and create some space between he and Martinez. If you start getting to where Adrian Martinez is missing 6 or more games, then we can talk. But the thought process should be to preserve his redshirt heading into 2019, and it is.
Well we'll simply have to disagree on this one. Normally I agree with you but not in the case. I think kids today want to play as freshman and shouldn't be red shirted IF they are good enough to play. I'd like to see someone push AM to be the best he can be and provide true competition. No idea if that's going to be LM but we're still recruiting QB's every year. Perhaps separation is ok but there's nothing to say our next QB recruit won't be better then LM...........

Well we'll simply have to disagree on this one. Normally I agree with you but not in the case. I think kids today want to play as freshman and shouldn't be red shirted IF they are good enough to play. I'd like to see someone push AM to be the best he can be and provide true competition. No idea if that's going to be LM but we're still recruiting QB's every year. Perhaps separation is ok but there's nothing to say our next QB recruit won't be better then LM...........
He has been told the plan is to redshirt him unless something happens to Martinez, and even then it's Vedral (depending on length of AM injury). Smothers coming in behind LM is the real deal, and they will plan on redshirting him too with Martinez being a junior that year.

Last edited:

He has been told the plan is to redshirt him unless something happens to Martinez, and even then it's Vedral (depending on length of AM injury). Smothers coming in behind LM is the real deal, and they will plan on redshirting him too with Martinez being a junior that year.
Well if he's red shirted then he's red shirted. You apparently have inside information which I'm not privy to but I still believe if he's good enough to play as a freshman he should get the chance. I do agree that being able to play in 4 games without burning a shirt does change the dynamics....

Well, it sounds like we have a lot of great QB's starting to fill the stable and I have confidence in our coaching staff to manage them.

I think any of our QB's will do well if we have a OL that can protect them as well as open holes for our run game.

The future is looking very good...very good.

Well if he's red shirted then he's red shirted. You apparently have inside information which I'm not privy to but I still believe if he's good enough to play as a freshman he should get the chance. I do agree that being able to play in 4 games without burning a shirt does change the dynamics....
I think that's where the thinking is. 4 games gives you a chance to see what he can do in blowouts (one way or the other). Even with Martinez missing a start, our backup only played in 5 games this year. If that happens again, you put Vedral in for the one game to not let LM get over the 4 game redshirt rule.

Well, it sounds like we have a lot of great QB's starting to fill the stable and I have confidence in our coaching staff to manage them.

I think any of our QB's will do well if we have a OL that can protect them as well as open holes for our run game.

The future is looking very good...very good.
We are in a great spot, the QB room will pretty much never have the experience it will have in 2019 and 2020 in that room. Husker fans need to feel fortunate.

Not so sure about that.

Agree totally, there is no way Vedral would beat out Mack. Nor is he in anyway talented enough to lead this team if Martinez gets hurt. Don't if he knows the offense he doesn't have the arm to run this offense as evidenced during BC game.

Just hope AM doesn't get hurt or McCaffery ramps fast or Bunch stays

Agree except I think we are in trouble if Martinez goes down. It didn't matter as much last year as it turned out but I think the stakes will be much higher in 2019.

I have been disappointed in the play of Vedral. I thought he would be much better. UCF doesn't seem to miss him either. Their backup has done quite well. Thats not to say that Vedral couldn't take a huge step forward if given the chance...but as of now, he leaves a lot to be desired.

And you are right that QB is never the 2nd most important player.

To say someone isn't missed is a tough sell, since it is nearly impossible to prove how something impacts anything when it doesn't happen. (i.e. NV actually playing games for UCF this year) Also, judging NV on a few plays when he spent the first half + of the season running scout team would seem to be fairly harsh. Saying he leaves alot to be desired based on the limited action seen at NU (compared to pretty decent success when on the field at UCF) would seem to indicate your opinion is based on preconceptions as much as actual fact.

Agree totally, there is no way Vedral would beat out Mack. Nor is he in anyway talented enough to lead this team if Martinez gets hurt. Don't if he knows the offense he doesn't have the arm to run this offense as evidenced during BC game.

Just hope AM doesn't get hurt or McCaffery ramps fast or Bunch stays

IF NV could hold onto the ball, he would have been more successful than Mack was. Mack was not that impressive for much of the 2 games i saw.

To say someone isn't missed is a tough sell, since it is nearly impossible to prove how something impacts anything when it doesn't happen. (i.e. NV actually playing games for UCF this year) Also, judging NV on a few plays when he spent the first half + of the season running scout team would seem to be fairly harsh. Saying he leaves alot to be desired based on the limited action seen at NU (compared to pretty decent success when on the field at UCF) would seem to indicate your opinion is based on preconceptions as much as actual fact.
Agree. Gonna go with the coaches on this. They saw enough in Vedral to make him Milton's backup and he played very well when called on. We're in good hands.

My opinion is based on what I have seen on the field. Vedral has not performed well at Nebraska in real games nor in the spring game.

Mack has performed VERY well when called upon to do so.

Unlike you, I don't need to enter what he might be able to do into the equation but rather look at actual performance.

IF NV could hold onto the ball, he would have been more successful than Mack was. Mack was not that impressive for much of the 2 games i saw.

Well we can just disagree. While I would love to have local kid at QB NV isn't capable of playing / throwing against top level competition. If he had played against LSU, UCF would have lost by 40 not 10 points

LM has a ton a development to do both physically and mechanically before we even consider him a potential #2. He needs that redshirt a great deal and will benefit from the experience.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back