• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Current analytical projection

I've heard the "unbalanced schedule" mentioned a couple times on the radio today. Bahe was saying that only playing MSU, OSU and Purdue once was hurting Nebraska. Maybe. Or it could be that NU is the beneficiary of some incredibly lucky scheduling only having to play them once.

If you take an average of the RPI of NU's Big 10 schedule you come up with 112. That's unprecedented, i would bet, in the big 10. For comparison's sake, Loyola Chicago's average RPI in-conference opponent is 128. If you take out the big 3...against which NU is 0-3, NU's average Big 10 opponent RPI is 131.

My point being...NU is better than they've been in the last couple years. But don't let the talking heads fool you into thinking NU's schedule could keep them out of the dance. It is as much the case that the schedule is what is keeping them in it.

NU should win each of the 4 games remaining. Period. If that happens...they are in. No ifs, ands or buts about it. If they lose a game it would be best if it was Maryland. That's probably still good for 4th place and I'd still put the odds at pretty darn high that they'd be in. Drop 2 and they need to go on a run in NYC because that probably means losing to Illinois as I don't see any way they lose 2 of 3 at home.

I really think it's as simple as the paragraph above. Analytics/schmanalytics.

While I agree with most of the sentiment... Nebraska is still 52nd in Ken Pom analytics (considerably better than any year since 2008, even better than 2014 (56)).... It sucks that Nebraska is not getting a chance to show how far they have come since that drubbing at the hands of Sparty in mid December... I do think this is easily a top 30/40 basketball team right now.

Tonight is a big, big chance... If they beat Maryland down by 20+ like they did against Michigan then the country is going to take notice... It helps that Scott Van Pelt is a big Maryland fan... He will talk about this game on SportsCenter tonight for longer than normal Nebrasketball games get covered.

Ken Pom projects a Husker win (56% chance) tonight, 71-70 with the 3rd highest "thrill score" of the night...

While I agree with most of the sentiment... Nebraska is still 52nd in Ken Pom analytics (considerably better than any year since 2008, even better than 2014 (56)).... It sucks that Nebraska is not getting a chance to show how far they have come since that drubbing at the hands of Sparty in mid December... I do think this is easily a top 30/40 basketball team right now.

Tonight is a big, big chance... If they beat Maryland down by 20+ like they did against Michigan then the country is going to take notice... It helps that Scott Van Pelt is a big Maryland fan... He will talk about this game on SportsCenter tonight for longer than normal Nebrasketball games get covered.

Ken Pom projects a Husker win (56% chance) tonight, 71-70 with the 3rd highest "thrill score" of the night...
The "country will take notice"? Let's not get carried away. ;) These are two programs that nobody will be paying attention to tonight. It won't even get mentioned on non van pelt sports centers. Now, the people that actually matter....committee members...THEY will probably be very interested to see what happens because this will be the first chance for NU to beat anyone with a pulse since Michigan and the last time to do so in the regular season. A lot is riding on this game...lose this and in the first round in NYC and NU is 60ish RPI and 22-10...that's bubble material big time there.

It helps that Scott Van Pelt is a big Maryland fan... He will talk about this game on SportsCenter tonight for longer than normal Nebrasketball games get covered. ...
SVP talked up Nebrasketball ... after the victory against Wisconsin. Actually led off his show with that game. He's a fan of the Huskers too I think!

The "country will take notice"? Let's not get carried away. ;) These are two programs that nobody will be paying attention to tonight. It won't even get mentioned on non van pelt sports centers. Now, the people that actually matter....committee members...THEY will probably be very interested to see what happens because this will be the first chance for NU to beat anyone with a pulse since Michigan and the last time to do so in the regular season. A lot is riding on this game...lose this and in the first round in NYC and NU is 60ish RPI and 22-10...that's bubble material big time there.
Maryland is near a blue blood basketball school... this team has been in the NCAAs most years and still has a brand name...

I agree that they have beaten nobody of substance (save maybe Butler)... and their season kind of mirrors Nebraska... close loses to some good teams but not losing to average teams (save Penn St)

Has any Big Ten team ever NOT made the NCAA Tournament with at least 20 overall wins and fewer than 7 conference losses? I saw a stat today that says not a single team has ever been left out of the tournament with these credentials. Nebraska sits at 19-8, 10-4.

I'm not saying this guarantees anything, I'm just saying.

Last edited:
Has any Big Ten team ever NOT made the NCAA Tournament with at least 20 overall wins and fewer than 7 conference losses? I saw a stat today that says not a single team has ever been left out of the tournament with these credentials. Nebraska sits at 19-8, 10-4.

The effect of adding Maryland and Rutgers ... having 14 teams waters down the schedule ... you do not play everyone twice home and away ... combined with a historically bad middle tier and the B1G is suffering this year.

I'm just hoping we don't have to find out. :Cautious: ;) Keep the wins coming, I say! :nod:

Speaking of motivation, here's a good article by Lee Barfknecht. Miles is motivating his team to aspire higher than the NIT!

Tim Miles on Huskers' postseason chances: Right now NU is a '1-seed in the NIT
This week’s message: “You’re a 1-seed in the NIT.’’
That’s not what his players or Nebrasketball fans want to hear — especially with the Huskers (19-8, 10-4) alone in fourth place in the Big Ten entering Tuesday’s home game against Maryland (17-10, 6-8).

www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/tim-miles-on-huskers-postseason-chances-right-now-nu-is/article_4d187bf6-3028-5a74-8383-608f3318f601.html

The effect of adding Maryland and Rutgers ... having 14 teams waters down the schedule ... you do not play everyone twice home and away ... combined with a historically bad middle tier and the B1G is suffering this year.

I know. But it just seems crazy, in my little world of thinking, that a 12-6 (hypothetically) Big Ten team wouldn't make the tournament. Or even 11-7, or even 10-8. I remember the days when you would dominate the non-con part of your schedule, finish .500 or better in the Big Ten, and you would be one of the 7 or 8 Big Ten teams in the dance. The good ole' days. I don't know if those days are over for good, but they sure aren't here now.

Last edited:

You're correct in that statement.

http://btn.com/2018/02/12/btnstatsguys-10-big-ten-stats-entering-penultimate-week/

20 & 7, No Big Ten team with at least 20 overall wins and fewer than seven conference losses has missed the NCAA tournament; Nebraska currently sits at 19-8 and 10-4.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back