1. You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.
    Dismiss Notice

Current analytical projection

Discussion in 'Men's Basketball' started by BGRed, Jan 7, 2018.

1. BasilLongfellow

BasilLongfellow Locked in the bathroom. 5 Year Member

This sucks

It’s not like we were playing Towson....

2. bilsker

bilsker Husker Fan 15 Year Member

Teams used to be limited to 27 games.

20-7 sounds a lot better than 20-11

3. wcbsas

wcbsas All Legend 15 Year Member

Texas lost last night ... 'tis a good thing!

4. Hotlanta Husker

Hotlanta Husker Scout Team 5 Year Member

While I agree with most of the sentiment... Nebraska is still 52nd in Ken Pom analytics (considerably better than any year since 2008, even better than 2014 (56)).... It sucks that Nebraska is not getting a chance to show how far they have come since that drubbing at the hands of Sparty in mid December... I do think this is easily a top 30/40 basketball team right now.

Tonight is a big, big chance... If they beat Maryland down by 20+ like they did against Michigan then the country is going to take notice... It helps that Scott Van Pelt is a big Maryland fan... He will talk about this game on SportsCenter tonight for longer than normal Nebrasketball games get covered.

Ken Pom projects a Husker win (56% chance) tonight, 71-70 with the 3rd highest "thrill score" of the night...

5. bilsker

bilsker Husker Fan 15 Year Member

The "country will take notice"? Let's not get carried away. ;) These are two programs that nobody will be paying attention to tonight. It won't even get mentioned on non van pelt sports centers. Now, the people that actually matter....committee members...THEY will probably be very interested to see what happens because this will be the first chance for NU to beat anyone with a pulse since Michigan and the last time to do so in the regular season. A lot is riding on this game...lose this and in the first round in NYC and NU is 60ish RPI and 22-10...that's bubble material big time there.

6. wcbsas

SVP talked up Nebrasketball ... after the victory against Wisconsin. Actually led off his show with that game. He's a fan of the Huskers too I think!

Hotlanta Husker likes this.
  7. HUSKERinKC

HUSKERinKC Junior Varsity 10 Year Member

Agreed, but I believe it was Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk with about 23 seconds left. Huskers got 2 shots at the other end to win it.

Shadow of the Dome likes this.
  8. Hotlanta Husker

Hotlanta Husker Scout Team 5 Year Member

Maryland is near a blue blood basketball school... this team has been in the NCAAs most years and still has a brand name...

I agree that they have beaten nobody of substance (save maybe Butler)... and their season kind of mirrors Nebraska... close loses to some good teams but not losing to average teams (save Penn St)

9. All 'N' 011808

All 'N' 011808 Former Walk On

Win tonight and then focus on the road trip to Illinois. All this computer stuff can be figured out on selection Sunday.

Plus, the team can make it a Moos point by winning some games in the B1G Tournament.

10. ChitownHusker

ChitownHusker Husker Fan 10 Year Member

The near loss to KU sucked. On the other hand, we probably wouldn't be getting nearly as much bubble talk as we are if Palmer hadn't hit a very lucky 3 right as time expired against conference doormat Illinois at home.

pRED, huskermike and Thunder's Call'n like this.
  11. Ellis Boyd Redding

Ellis Boyd Redding Travel Squad 2 Year Member

Has any Big Ten team ever NOT made the NCAA Tournament with at least 20 overall wins and fewer than 7 conference losses? I saw a stat today that says not a single team has ever been left out of the tournament with these credentials. Nebraska sits at 19-8, 10-4.

I'm not saying this guarantees anything, I'm just saying.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 2:56 PM
    huskermike and HUSKER HOT SAUCE like this.
  12. wcbsas

The effect of adding Maryland and Rutgers ... having 14 teams waters down the schedule ... you do not play everyone twice home and away ... combined with a historically bad middle tier and the B1G is suffering this year.

13. Red Don

Red Don Water Boy 5 Year Member

I'm just hoping we don't have to find out. :Cautious: :wink: Keep the wins coming, I say! :nod:

Speaking of motivation, here's a good article by Lee Barfknecht. Miles is motivating his team to aspire higher than the NIT!

Tim Miles on Huskers' postseason chances: Right now NU is a '1-seed in the NIT
    www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/tim-miles-on-huskers-postseason-chances-right-now-nu-is/article_4d187bf6-3028-5a74-8383-608f3318f601.html

14. Ellis Boyd Redding

Ellis Boyd Redding Travel Squad 2 Year Member

I know. But it just seems crazy, in my little world of thinking, that a 12-6 (hypothetically) Big Ten team wouldn't make the tournament. Or even 11-7, or even 10-8. I remember the days when you would dominate the non-con part of your schedule, finish .500 or better in the Big Ten, and you would be one of the 7 or 8 Big Ten teams in the dance. The good ole' days. I don't know if those days are over for good, but they sure aren't here now.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 3:33 PM
  15. Shadow of the Dome

Shadow of the Dome Recruit 2 Year Member

You're correct in that statement.

http://btn.com/2018/02/12/btnstatsguys-10-big-ten-stats-entering-penultimate-week/

20 & 7, No Big Ten team with at least 20 overall wins and fewer than seven conference losses has missed the NCAA tournament; Nebraska currently sits at 19-8 and 10-4.

huskermike likes this.