• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Captain and Coke with ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

An injury caused by a cheap shot to the knee could have been prevented with better Strength and Conditioning training?
I'm just curious why someone thought S&C couldn't prevent knee injuries from someone twisting on it. I don’t think you can say one way or the other on specific knee injuries so I was hoping to learn a bit more. But let's go with your response because we are getting off track from what I am speaking on...

I don't really try to go into "this knee should have been prevented but this guys shouldn't have". Short of it being something like Mick Stoltenberg's or Tre Bryant's where you can't grow back cartilage so it has nothing to do with S&C, you can't say definitively that it should have or should not have been prevented. I'm not going to try and dissect an OL getting rolled up on from behind and then figure out if S&C should have prevented it. What I do look at tho is the AMOUNT of season ending soft-tissue injuries (and many times keep track of our knees as well) our program has compared to others I follow who in my opinion do it right. And their injury history speaks for itself. When you look at our soft-tissue season ending injuries, it was freaking disastrous in 2018. When I look at us blowing out more knees this year than we did under the previous staff that many people thought were so terrible, it's alarming to me.

I've said this on here before, I believe in trends. So year 1 doesn't make any difference to me except for it has to get better. But that doesn't speak to how good or bad something is. When I saw what we were doing in the spring, i had a feeling things like this would happen. Our S&C coach talked about getting back to HuskerPower and not needing to change things up if you were still doing what they were 30 years ago. The good news is they've back tracked on that a bit and are starting to incorporate some functional stuff now to prevent injuries which I think was a direct result of how many we saw this fall.

I think one thing is clear tho, Frosts policy of not talking about injuries is helping their perception in the fans eyes. Good on them. It was really frustrating listening to Riley list the people sitting out and media reporting it and people losing their minds. I like this approach better.

Last edited:
I hate to start this negatively, but we absolutely have to find someone that can replace Ozigbo. Washington has his niche, and I understand he will get a year of S&C, but that's not going to be enough to get him to Adrian Peterson level (which is what he would be if people think he would be able to replace our bruiser, Ozigbo).

Disagree. This offense does not need a bruising running back to replace Ozigbo. They certainly did not use them at UCF and I don't see them being recruited.

And besides, Ozigbo didn't play because he was a bruiser. He played because he became a speedster. Ozigbo and Washington were arguably the fastest and most elusive backs we had last season. They also played because they could catch passes. Neither of them played because they could push the pile.

Next year other backs will help Washington carry the load, but it will be another elusive speedster, not a bruiser. Ryan Held said he wants RBs who can take it to the house on any given play, and that is what we can expect to see...just like it was (and still is) at UCF.

SF will put as much speed on the field as he can. Power will always be a secondary asset. This offense does not use fullbacks or anything that resembles them. It is not a ball control offense. It is a fast break offense.

Last edited:
Disagree. This offense does not need a bruising running back to replace Ozigbo. They certainly did not use them at UCF and I don't see them being recruited.

And besides, Ozigbo didn't play because he was a bruiser. He played because he became a speedster. Ozigbo and Washington were arguably the fastest and most elusive backs we had last season. They also played because they could catch passes. Neither of them played because they could push the pile.

Next year other backs will help Washington carry the load, but it will be another elusive speedster, not a bruiser. Ryan Held said he wants RBs who can take it to the house on any given play, and that is what we can expect to see...just like it was (and still is) at UCF.

SF will put as much speed on the field as he can. Power will always be a secondary asset. This offense does not use fullbacks or anything that resembles them. It is not a ball control offense. It is a fast break offense.
What's come over you? You are making great sense here, I agree with you. If we'd been using DO as a power back we'd have frequently lined up under center and have him pound the rock, especially on short yardage plays...rarely happened, and likely won't happen often going forward.

Last edited:

What's come over you? You are making great sense here, I agree with you. If we'd been using DO as a power back we'd have frequently lined up under center and have him pound the rock...rarely happened, and likely won't happen often going forward.

DO re-invented himself to fit SF's offense. It was an amazing transformation...probably the only instance where I have seen a RB increase his speed.

DO retained ample power as well, but break-away speed will always be the primary RB asset SF and RH will be looking for.

Last edited:
I'm just curious why someone thought S&C couldn't prevent knee injuries from someone twisting on it. I don’t think you can say one way or the other on specific knee injuries so I was hoping to learn a bit more. But let's go with your response because we are getting off track from what I am speaking on...

I don't really try to go into "this knee should have been prevented but this guys shouldn't have". Short of it being something like Mick Stoltenberg's or Tre Bryant's where you can't grow back cartilage so it has nothing to do with S&C, you can't say definitively that it should have or should not have been prevented. I'm not going to try and dissect an OL getting rolled up on from behind and then figure out if S&C should have prevented it. What I do look at tho is the AMOUNT of season ending soft-tissue injuries (and many times keep track of our knees as well) our program has compared to others I follow who in my opinion do it right. And their injury history speaks for itself. When you look at our soft-tissue season ending injuries, it was freaking disastrous in 2018. When I look at us blowing out more knees this year than we did under the previous staff that many people thought were so terrible, it's alarming to me.

I've said this on here before, I believe in trends. So year 1 doesn't make any difference to me except for it has to get better. But that doesn't speak to how good or bad something is. When I saw what we were doing in the spring, i had a feeling things like this would happen. Our S&C coach talked about getting back to HuskerPower and not needing to change things up if you were still doing what they were 30 years ago. The good news is they've back tracked on that a bit and are starting to incorporate some functional stuff now to prevent injuries which I think was a direct result of how many we saw this fall.

I think one thing is clear tho, Frosts policy of not talking about injuries is helping their perception in the fans eyes. Good on them. It was really frustrating listening to Riley list the people sitting out and media reporting it and people losing their minds. I like this approach better.
thanks for the clarification. makes sense

DO played because:

1. He didn't get injured
2. He didn't turn it over
3. He did what he was asked to do outside of games (unlike Greg Bell)
4. He fought for and gained yards played because he was the best back not because he was a big back.

While he did improve his quickness and speed, he didn't move to the #1 RB spot because of it. I also think you're ignoring the change in scheme that put DO in the position to excel. Off-season improvements or not, there's no way he does that in last years O.

Outside of the two runs vs Minnesota I doubt Adrian Killins or Otis Anderson gain anywhere near 1000 yards against Big 10 D's

What was working in the AAC I don't think works as well vs the Big 10.

Last edited:
When a guy is right, he's right...someday you'll be right about something and I'll agree with you too.[/QUOTE]

Me too, but will someday ever come? I agree with *** that Dedrich Mills is a powerful RB. But he is also pretty quick and elusive. With RH's help he could become even quicker and more elusive.

Last edited:

Me too, but will someday ever come? I agree with *** that Dedrich Mills is a powerful RB. But he is also pretty quick and elusive. With RH's help he could become even quicker and more elusive.
Well, it is hard for one to be right when all they contribute is snark.​

DO played because:

1. He didn't get injured
2. He didn't turn it over
3. He did what he was asked to do outside of games (unlike Greg Bell)
4. He fought for and gained yards played because he was the best back not because he was a big back.

While he did improve his quickness and speed, he didn't move to the #1 RB spot because of it. I also think you're ignoring the change in scheme that put DO in the position to excel. Off-season improvements or not, there's no way he does that in last years O.

Outside of the two runs vs Minnesota I doubt Adrian Killins or Otis Anderson gain anywhere near 1000 yards against Big 10 D's

What was working in the AAC I don't think works as well vs the Big 10.

Agree. Ozigobo played simply because he was the best back we had. However, If UCF's Adrian Killins, Otis Anderson, Greg McCrae, and Taj McGowan were on our roster, it would have been much harder for Bell and Ozigbo to earn any playing time.

Last edited:

Disagree. Ozigobo played simply because he was the best back we had.
See my #4
If UCF's Adrian Killins, Otis Anderson, Greg McCrae, and Taj McGowan were on our roster, it would have been much harder for Bell and Ozigbo to earn any playing time.
That's also not what I said. I said if any one of them were on our roster (I specifically mentioned Killins or Anderson) , not all 4, they wouldn't have produced as well as DO.

(Though your statement is correct but not for the reason you think. Four extra RB's would have unnecessarily created a log jam in the RB rotation.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back