• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Caleb Lightbourn Transferring

This brings up another question and you seem as good as anyone to ask. Does this mean we are no longer offering four year scholarships? Maybe we never were and I just misunderstood but I could’ve sworn we were trying to use that as a recruiting advantage at least under Riley.
We give them still, we just help kids find a different spot if they aren’t going to play. We were shocked when we told a few guys “you probably aren’t going to play next year here, so you can stay and get your degree, or we can help you get somewhere where you will see the field more” and a couple of them said “we will just stay”. Now that numbers are crunching up, we are forcing the issue a bit. There will be 1 or 2 more for sure.

We give them still, we just help kids find a different spot if they aren’t going to play. We were shocked when we told a few guys “you probably aren’t going to play next year here, so you can stay and get your degree, or we can help you get somewhere where you will see the field more” and a couple of them said “we will just stay”. Now that numbers are crunching up, we are forcing the issue a bit. There will be 1 or 2 more for sure.

Does forcing the issue a bit mean actually yanking schollies?

Does forcing the issue a bit mean actually yanking schollies?
I highly doubt we say “you won’t have a scholarship here this fall” as that would violate B1G rules and be a bad look when the disgruntled 20 year old eventually tweets it out. There’s different ways to phrase it. Probably told Lightbourn their plan for him next year was scout team RB or something. Not really, but you get the picture.

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts on the question. My guess is that's how it works for most schools, even in the SEC. The issue gets complicated when after "the talk" the player still wants to stay. I would think the difference between us and some of the schools down South is when you get the player that does want to stay. If we offered a 4 year scholarship we should honor it-if school doesn't offer the 4 year they don't have to and probably will not honor it. It would be very bad for their image if they did not try to at least help the kid find another school. Football players get cut at every level starting at a young age, the difference here is the chance to earn a degree and how it should be dealt with when it gets to that point. Had Lightbourn refused to move on would have we kept him on scholarship? My original take from reading your post was no but now I get the feel that he would have. If I'm CL did I really have a choice or would I have continued to practice each day knowing I wasn't wanted or had the trust of the staff. Difficult stuff for all parties to deal with.

Thanks for your thoughts on the question. My guess is that's how it works for most schools, even in the SEC. The issue gets complicated when after "the talk" the player still wants to stay. I would think the difference between us and some of the schools down South is when you get the player that does want to stay. If we offered a 4 year scholarship we should honor it-if school doesn't offer the 4 year they don't have to and probably will not honor it. It would be very bad for their image if they did not try to at least help the kid find another school. Football players get cut at every level starting at a young age, the difference here is the chance to earn a degree and how it should be dealt with when it gets to that point. Had Lightbourn refused to move on would have we kept him on scholarship? My original take from reading your post was no but now I get the feel that he would have. If I'm CL did I really have a choice or would I have continued to practice each day knowing I wasn't wanted or had the trust of the staff. Difficult stuff for all parties to deal with.
My guess is they would have put him on medical so he could get his degree but not count towards the 85.

Last edited:
I highly doubt we say “you won’t have a scholarship here this fall” as that would violate B1G rules and be a bad look when the disgruntled 20 year old eventually tweets it out. There’s different ways to phrase it. Probably told Lightbourn their plan for him next year was scout team RB or something. Not really, but you get the picture.

I know there's a lot of gray area on this topic, but I've always felt that if a kid is doing everything you ask of him and he's just not good enough, that's on the talent evaluator and not the kid. I know it's not that black and white, but as long as the scholly isn't just being yanked away, I'm ok with this type of "roster management".

I know there's a lot of gray area on this topic, but I've always felt that if a kid is doing everything you ask of him and he's just not good enough, that's on the talent evaluator and not the kid. I know it's not that black and white, but as long as the scholly isn't just being yanked away, I'm ok with this type of "roster management".
Agree. Someone isn’t being forced out that does everything you ask of them, no matter how little plating time they are seeing.

Wish him the best. Punting and placekicking come down to consistency. Caleb was not consistent.

My guess would be something like. "Caleb, I want to be honest with you. If you stay here you are probably not going to see the field this year. That being said and understood. If you would like to transfer we would give you a good recommendation."

Agree. Someone isn’t being forced out that does everything you ask of them, no matter how little plating time they are seeing.

The phrase ‘everything you ask of them’ is the key in this for me.

-Be a good student
-Be a good representative of the school and program
-Be on time for meetings/practice
-Do what is asked for strength and conditioning
-Be respectful of the staff
-Be a good teammate

Too often, when a guy is mailing it in, they fail in one or more of these areas. If they do, is it wrong to remove them from the team, and have them lose their aid as a scholarship athlete?

Last edited:
Just researched Erstad, always thought he was a signee out of high school. He was a baseball signee in 1993. So he became a football scholarship player in 1994. Didn't realize that one.

For baseball geeks, about 20 years ago the Astro's had an outstanding utility player, Billy Spires who played every field position. He was a former Clemson punter.
I think that he was recruited to play both sports, but baseball was his focus. Nebraska fans know that he was a great punter and baseball player, but he said at one point that hockey was his first love. I might be mixing up the details, but if I remember correctly his high school hockey team was knocked out of the playoffs just before Jamestown's basketball team was going to the state tournament. I don't know if I ever saw it in print, but I heard that the basketball coach was able to add him to the roster after hockey was over, and he ended up having a great tournament as Jamestown won the state championship. Anyone else able to fill in the details?

I think that he was recruited to play both sports, but baseball was his focus. Nebraska fans know that he was a great punter and baseball player, but he said at one point that hockey was his first love. I might be mixing up the details, but if I remember correctly his high school hockey team was knocked out of the playoffs just before Jamestown's basketball team was going to the state tournament. I don't know if I ever saw it in print, but I heard that the basketball coach was able to add him to the roster after hockey was over, and he ended up having a great tournament as Jamestown won the state championship. Anyone else able to fill in the details?
I think you are likely correct. Now my understanding of NCAA rules is any male two/multi sport athlete will have to be counted as a Football Scholarship if Football is one of them. The only thing I am not sure about is if Basketball is one of them, how that would fit in. I would assume Track & Basketball would count against Basketball. Of course, I think it only becomes a hit when they actually play Football. Of course, I suspect once they go on Football Scholarship, a Baseball (or Track or...) Scholarship would be freed up.

Last edited:
In defense of Bruce Read, CL was an awesome punter except and up until he got here. Punters and kickers are mostly evaluated a camps and I think we can all agree when the pressure wasn't on he was good. This goes back to what *** and others are talking about, not giving a scholarship until they come here and kick/punt in front of 90K people and prove they are worthy.

I blame Steve Pederson. :nod:

This goes back to what *** and others are talking about, not giving a scholarship until they come here and kick/punt in front of 90K people and prove they are worthy.
:nod:

Yep, so the mistake wasn’t Bruce Read, it was his boss for authorizing a scholarship to a punter untested at the college level.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back