• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bracketologist Erik Haslam: Nebraska is in

According to Vegas odds... B1G has 3 of the top 8 favorites to win the whole darn thing (but it was a down year ;))

RPI addicts can spew whatever they want, B1G deserves to send 5 or more teams EVERY year.

Go Big Red!!!

How many teams does the Pac-12 deserve the send every year? Or every major conference for that matter? The Pac-12 is typically a solid basketball conference. Yet they'll send no more than three this year. Are they getting shafted?

Last edited:

Lol...the Big East is the 2nd rated conference. That's what happens when you don't have 14 teams.....10 of them who are crappy . ; )

I realize that you rely on computers to tell you what to believe, but you know that the Big East is not the 2nd best conference this year. You also know that the new Big East, while still a good basketball conference, is not the same power after losing most of its brass.

You also know that Nebraska, Penn State, and Maryland aren’t “crappy” teams. Also, last time I checked, the Big 10 and the Big East split the Gavitt games 4-4. Is the Big East better than the Big 10 this year top-to-bottom? Yeah, but outside of Xavier and Villanova, Nebraska could probably split a home-in-home with the rest of those teams and possibly sweep 2-3.

Last edited:
I realize that you rely on computers to tell you what to believe, but you know that the Big East is not the 2nd best conference this year. You also know that the new Big East, while still a good basketball conference, is not the same power after losing most of its brass.

You also know that Nebraska, Penn State, and Maryland aren’t “crappy” teams. Also, last time I checked, the Big 10 and the Big East split the Gavitt games 4-4. Is the Big East better than the Big 10 this year top-to-bottom? Yeah, but outside of Xavier and Villanova, Nebraska could probably split a home-in-home with the rest of those teams and possibly sweep 2-3.
Believe it or not I do watch some basketball. And there is simply a lot of crappy basketball in the big 10 this year. Is "10 crappy" teams an overstatement? Sure. The overall point remains....if one is being honest the big 10 was way down this year.

As for the big east...2 #1 seeds and 6 overall teams in the tourney with another on the bubble. 60%+ tourney worthy. #2, 3...whatever. it is right up there and it isn't a fluke as much as you want to dismiss it. Not all conferences have to have 14 to 16 teams to be legit. Whereas the big 10 is going to get 28% of its teams in....it isn't a conspiracy against the big 10...it is what they are this year. That's not just me...or the computers...or a couple pundits. It is every college basketball observer outside the Big 10 Network.

Believe it or not I do watch some basketball. And there is simply a lot of crappy basketball in the big 10 this year. Is "10 crappy" teams an overstatement? Sure. The overall point remains....if one is being honest the big 10 was way down this year.

As for the big east...2 #1 seeds and 6 overall teams in the tourney with another on the bubble. 60%+ tourney worthy. #2, 3...whatever. it is right up there and it isn't a fluke as much as you want to dismiss it. Not all conferences have to have 14 to 16 teams to be legit. Whereas the big 10 is going to get 28% of its teams in....it isn't a conspiracy against the big 10...it is what they are this year. That's not just me...or the computers...or a couple pundits. It is every college basketball observer outside the Big 10 Network.

Agreed.

And I'm neither a Creighton fan nor a Big East fan (though I do like Nova -- just not to the level of Nebraska... and will always root for Creighton in the Dance, assuming Nebraska isn't around to cheer for).

It's pretty hard for a Nebraska fan to knock the Big East -- considering the Big East went 2-0 against the Huskers. A 10-point loss to Creighton and a 23-point loss to a crappy St. John's team.

There are three very good conferences in basketball this season: ACC, Big 12, Big East.

I know everyone says the Big 12 is overrated, but that conference only had one truly bad team this season: Iowa State. I doubt there's another conference that can boast that.

The SEC is next in the pecking order of major conferences.

Then the Big Ten. Then the Pac-12.

The Big Ten suffered with teams that are traditionally in the dance having relatively poor seasons: Indiana, Wisconsin, and Maryland.

And teams like Nebraska and Penn State took advantage of some of the more traditional powers being down. Most seasons in the Big Ten, Nebraska and Penn State would not have been as successful. Nor would have Ohio State.

The Big Ten is not what it was just a couple-few seasons ago. Now, the good news is that most of the teams are relatively young. And I fully expect the Big Ten to be improved next season. But for now, the conference as a whole is way down.

Yeah, if you could point where I said the Big East is a fluke or the Big 10 isn’t down...that would be great. But you can’t, so please don’t waste Huskermax bandwidth trying or attempt to manufacture new strawmen.

I’ve said it for a long time now, Nebraska needed 23 wins to get in...to outweigh it’s lack of quality wins. I don’t think anyone can fault them for losing to THAT Michigan tourney team, although I certainly fault them for the way they lost. They had their chance to punch their ticket against Michigan but didn’t. They also had a chance at 23 wins at Illinois and took it on the chin.

Again, most years 22 wins wouldn’t be a problem at all. A lot of things broke against us that probably won’t next year. I’ve never really felt all that bad for bubble teams that don’t get in.

Agreed.

And I'm neither a Creighton fan nor a Big East fan (though I do like Nova -- just not to the level of Nebraska... and will always root for Creighton in the Dance, assuming Nebraska isn't around to cheer for).

It's pretty hard for a Nebraska fan to knock the Big East -- considering the Big East went 2-0 against the Huskers. A 10-point loss to Creighton and a 23-point loss to a crappy St. John's team.

There are three very good conferences in basketball this season: ACC, Big 12, Big East.

I know everyone says the Big 12 is overrated, but that conference only had one truly bad team this season: Iowa State. I doubt there's another conference that can boast that.

The SEC is next in the pecking order of major conferences.

Then the Big Ten. Then the Pac-12.

The Big Ten suffered with teams that are traditionally in the dance having relatively poor seasons: Indiana, Wisconsin, and Maryland.

And teams like Nebraska and Penn State took advantage of some of the more traditional powers being down. Most seasons in the Big Ten, Nebraska and Penn State would not have been as successful. Nor would have Ohio State.

The Big Ten is not what it was just a couple-few seasons ago. Now, the good news is that most of the teams are relatively young. And I fully expect the Big Ten to be improved next season. But for now, the conference as a whole is way down.

Nobody is knocking the Big East. I would rank it has the 3rd best conference this year. It’s not the old Big East though. The conference lost Louisville, UConn, Notre Dame, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, and Syracuse. It’s not the same power broker it used to be.

Nobody is knocking the Big East. I would rank it has the 3rd best conference this year. It’s not the old Big East though. The conference lost Louisville, UConn, Notre Dame, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, and Syracuse. It’s not the same power broker it used to be.

It's definitely a different conference .... though only one of those departures is for sure going dancing.

And Notre Dame, Louisville, and West Virginia were not truly part of the old Big East. They came in many years later.

The additions of Butler, Creighton, and Xavier were solid additions (and Marquette several years prior). And as of now, the Big East is a better conference with those teams than they would have been with most of those other former schools you listed.

It really destroyed the football aspect of the conference but the basketball component remains strong.

Last edited:

It's definitely a different conference .... though only one of those departures is for sure going dancing.

And Notre Dame, Louisville, and West Virginia were not truly part of the old Big East. They came in many years later.

The additions of Butler, Creighton, and Xavier were solid additions. And as of now, the Big East is a better conference with those teams than they would have been with most of those other former schools you listed.

Xavier, Butler, and Creighton were good decisions, especially Xavier. All three schools have basketball as their number one priority. They aren’t Nebraska who only starting caring about basketball recently. At least in terms of their admin anyway.

Also, let me add one more thing. I am a Big 12 basketball guy first and foremost. I don’t even like the Big 10. The only basketball program I even remotely like in the Big 10 is Wisconsin. I watch more Big12 basketball than than Big 10.

Also, let me add one more thing. I am a Big 12 basketball guy first and foremost. I don’t even like the Big 10. The only basketball program I even remotely like in the Big 10 is Wisconsin. I watch more Big12 basketball than than Big 10.
Where would you put Nebraska in the Big 12?

Damnit Bilsker, you’re going to put me on BP meds!!! Alright...I’m done. If Oklahoma gets shafted, I’ll be happy. That’s all I care about!
Shafted?
Even with Trae, they failed to impress. If they don't make it, they were NOT shafted!

Last edited:
Where would you put Nebraska in the Big 12?

It’s tough because we sort of have a Big 12 roster in terms of size and athleticism but play a Big 10 style. Road wins outside of Iowa State would be much more difficult, probably only get 2, maybe 3. I would feel pretty good at home against any of them, but we don’t go undefeated either. I’d guess 9-9, but I don’t think 10-8 or 8-10 is out of the question either.

I think Nebraska is more consistent than anyone outside of the top 4 in the Big 12. I don’t think TCU, Baylor, Texas, Okie, Okie State, or Iowa State could play Nebraska’s Big 10 schedule and scratch out 13 wins. Not because of lack of talent, they just aren’t consistent if that makes sense. I’ll give Nebraska credit, easy conference slate or not, grinding out 13 wins isn’t easy in any major conference, you have to consistently show up.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back