• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Banker's Thoughts on Firing

"I don't badmouth anybody. But I have never talked to him. I've seen him, tried to speak to him. Nothing ever really resonated. Coach John Parrella has been there a few weeks, and we probably talked six, seven, eight times over the last few weeks. Same with Coach Riley. Coach Banker has been there over a year, and I never even saw him, never received a text, a call, anything.

"I'm an adult. I don't really get hurt about too many things, especially not if someone isn't reaching out. To me personally, it's more that it would be nice for a defensive coordinator to at least show some appreciation or level of respect for an individual."

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/tbl-in...cle_5a223622-080e-11e6-8893-f7d0ed63d783.html

Man, there were a lot of people that were upset that I was critical of Banker in that instance...

"Hey Coach Banker, I know you don't get on Twitter much, but are you still coaching for Nebraska?"

"Huh?...What're you talking about, Kamren?"

"Well, look at this? Are you just going to be working with the safties next year? Who is Bob Diaco?"

I know it would never have gotten that far...but that would have been far worse than a phone call. Face to face would have been better, but apparently the timing didn't allow for that.

Good luck to Banker.

Tom Osborne would have resigned himself before he fired a coach with 20 years of service over the phone. Just saying.

Last edited:

Tom Osborne would have resigned himself before he fired a coach with 20 years of service over the phone. Just saying.
I think you're right, but I'm not sure if that's all or even mostly because TO was a better leader, although evidence says he was (no shame for Riley in that, TO was better than 99% of us). I think it's more because we now live in a world where so many staffs get turned over so quickly, and getting a new DC is becoming like executing a trade in the NBA. It can happen at a moment's notice, people have begun to expect it and to disregard the human cost.

Remember when they asked TO before a game last season what he thought was the biggest challenge facing CFB today..."it's the money."

Time was critical in this. Diaco was being sought after by at least one other big-time program and Banker was away on vacation.

I like Banker, and feel for him. I hope he lands on his feet and succeeds at his next stop. But this is big boy football, and I really don't care if the non-renewal had to be done over the phone.

Agreed. He was at the airport about to head to Tulsa to do an in-home with Kamren Curl. What is Riley supposed to say? "Hey Mark, I need you to skip that in-home we've been planning for two weeks and fly back to Lincoln immediately instead. I can't tell you why. I'll let you know when you get here."

Come on.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back